So I can upgrade at the Apple store ????

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sanzu08, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Sanzu08 macrumors member

Sanzu08

Okay this is what I emailed to O2:

"If I buy a new iPhone on a new contract from the Apple store, will you allow me to cancel my existing iPhone contract without a termination fee???? This would infact be exactly the same as if I upgrade at the O2 store (which I would have done if it hadn't been for your system crashing and your stock running out)."

this is the reply I have just got back :

"Thanks for emailing us about upgrading your account to the new 3G iPhone.

You can purchase a new 3G iPhone from your local Apple store and insert your existing SIM card and continue to use it. You'll not be charged termination fee."

What do you make of that ????

2. ooALoo macrumors newbie

Curious....

So what about existing o2 non-iPhone customers? Are they also able to insert their o2 SIM into an iPhone 3G and carry on using thier existing contract with no charge? Surely this should work as the SIMs arent going to be any different.

Having said that, don't you actually set-up a new contract when you go into the store to get the iPhone? If you do then you will end up paying for 2 contracts.

Aaaaaarggh I'm confusing myself :confused:

3. Sanzu08 thread starter macrumors member

Sanzu08

Well, my view is that I should be able to go and open a new contract at Apple store, but then at home put in my existing sim and for O2 to then cancel my new contract - thus in effect upgrading me. That is what I was askign in the email and they "seem" to be saying yes in the reply. However my concern is that the guy at O2 doesn't know what he's saying. I have just called from confirmation but O2 are now unsure and their manger is not there till mondya. I have forward the email and they will contact me on Monday.

.... but I am sooooooo tempted to rush off to Apple and buy a 16GB white iphone.....

4. Cousin Dirk macrumors 6502a

Oh great. More differing stories. Why can't we have one official story from O2 instead of all of this hearsay?

5. Sanzu08 thread starter macrumors member

Sanzu08

I know what you mean - driving me crazy !!!

The thing is this, if the guy who emailed me from O2 has his facts wrong, as I have it in black and white from him, does this mean O2 will have to honour it???? If that were the case then really I should go and buy one right now before they can change their story....

6. Cousin Dirk macrumors 6502a

See, this is backed up in part by what O2 say on their 'Activating iPhone' pages:

but contradicts what Apple say on their retail pages:

Although, if you click 'where to buy' from the iPhone page, it gives no specifics about upgrading at all. Hey-ho.

7. Sanzu08 thread starter macrumors member

Sanzu08

plus with all the current problems and confusion O2 are having, and the subsequent bad PR they'll get - maybe if I just go ahead and do it I'll get away with it....

but if they refused to honour it I would be stuck with two contracts :(

8. Cousin Dirk macrumors 6502a

DO EEET

/just kidding
    //well, maybe
    ///how will you know until you try?

9. Sanzu08 thread starter macrumors member

Sanzu08

thing is I was just reading about the apple activation process in-store. Now does that mean when I get home and put my existing sim card in the phone will refuse to recognise it ???

10. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Sounds very interesting.

I suppose if you have proof of the email conversation and they mess you about then you can back yourself up and make a big publicity stink about it. Watchdog etc... It's worth a go.

11. Cousin Dirk macrumors 6502a

I dunno... have you tried contacting your local Apple Store to tell them what O2 have told you? They may just let you switch SIM cards and won't force another contract/SIM on you.

12. atiffarooq macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

I was at the apple store yesterday but as new customer. I did ask about upgrades and the guy serving me told me that apple stores were only allowed to serve those people who wanted new contracts, regardless of what o2 have been telling existing customers.

13. Sanzu08 thread starter macrumors member

Sanzu08

well I just called O2 again and read out the earlier email that I received - they agreed that it was saying that I could buy at Apple and that O2 would in effect treat it as an ungrade....

I'm still a little nervous at doing this as I really can't afford to be running two contracts....

14. Mercer macrumors member

Mercer

Upgrade

That would be nice if that was true, been searching for stock and its doing my nut in, i wish they would release some kind of statement on there website at least. They are keeping our business, i dont see the problem! :D

15. iTeleport macrumors member

You should be able to cancel your contract within 7 days at least. o2 should cancel the contract.

But since you've got the email, o2 will have to honour it. It may take a lot of messing about but in the end they will honour it.

nice way to get a white one!

16. Sanzu08 thread starter macrumors member

Sanzu08

try emailing them mycarewebform@o2mail.co.uk

and see if you can get it in writing as well.

17. Mercer macrumors member

Mercer

Upgrade

I have emailed them for further clarification on this, i hope its true as it would seem abit stupid if untrue although im not holding my breath! :cool:

18. kinster macrumors 6502a

kinster

Dear *******

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately at the moment the iphone 3G 16GB in White is only available in the Apple store to new connections only, And we would be unable to migrate this over to your current contract.

We hope that helps. Send us an email if there’s anything else. Make sure you tell us your date of birth, postcode and mobile number – it helps us to answer your questions faster.

Regards

Claire Brocklesby

O2 Customer Service

Haven’t answered your question? We want to get this right for you first time. If this email didn’t help, send us a reply with ‘Need More Help’ as the subject.

Telefónica O2 UK Limited, Registered in England No 1743099. Registered Office: 260 Bath Road, Slough, Berkshire SL1 4DX.

19. Sanzu08 thread starter macrumors member

Sanzu08

I think different people at O2 are telling different stories. Id email again - labouring the point that you have spent hours in the queue only to find O2 sold out, that you tried many times to order online and the system kept crashing etc - keep at them!

20. Mercer macrumors member

Mercer

haha beat to it eh. unbelieveable. im pretty sure if you rang customer services they would tell you something different again. abit of a joke really, for a telecommunications company to be selling an revolunary(i think thats how its spelt) mobile phone and they cant even keep us updated the in's and out's of what we can and cant do. does my head in abit! :eek:

21. Sanzu08 thread starter macrumors member

Sanzu08

okay just got a new email from O2 upgrades

"The below e-mail explains that you can take out the Iphone from an Apple
    store and place your existing sim card in without a termination fee. It
    also refers to the process in which to activate the iphone on to your
    existing contract.

Any further questions please don't hesitate to ask."

22. Mercer macrumors member

Mercer

haha no way?!? surely!

23. Sanzu08 thread starter macrumors member

Sanzu08

no I'm not in doubt any more - got another email after I asked for confirmation I would still be able to keep my existing number. The reply was yes and I have o2 upgrade's guy direct line etc.

going to regents street apple store tomorrow to bag me a 16GB white :D

24. Mercer macrumors member

Mercer

haha just waiting for my email back of o2 so i can go apple store! :)

25. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

Good LUCK ! :D

Tell us how you get on.

TBH I have rang O2 customer services and they said I could have a iPhone 3g upgrade in an apple store, although when I rang an apple store they said they would NOT upgrade me.