Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cousin Dirk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
London, UK
He was rude to me as well :(

Can you help me? Can you send me more details via pm? names etc?

Regards

I can't, no. I've only tried O2 customer services the once, since I know from this thread that they are pretty ineffective and none of them seem to be reading from the same hymn sheet. If you made three consecutive phone calls and got through to three different people, the likelihood is that you will get three different stories.

There are others in this thread who have had some successes with specific people in O2, they may be able to help you further. All I can suggest is constantly trying to speak to customer services until you actually get somewhere.

I, meanwhile, am holding out for the white iPhone, no matter how long that will take. Hopefully the "considerably more stock" O2 say they are due to receive today includes plenty of white ones.

Sanzu08

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
London
He was rude to me as well :(

Can you help me? Can you send me more details via pm? names etc?

Regards

I'd suggest you submit the question (maybe several times) on the O2 web support form - then you get the reply in B&W - so they can't be rude.

I started doing that and after seveal exchnages of email managed to get to someone higher up in the support chain

Sanzu08

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
London
Update:

I have slip my old sim into the 3G and plugged into itunes, it treated it as though a new phone, but all went fine and everything is now synced.

I've just emailed the support guy at O2 and request the old contract be terminated but the number retained (at no cost obviously)

Will let you know when I get a relpy

mjeffries

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2008
Makes me sad :(

Hi guys, my first time on here and what brought me here was my problem with O2!

I am a long time Mac addict.

I have owned an iPhone (1st gen) almost 3 months. Bought one, after always wanting one, in the £100 off sale O2 had. I knew a 3G version was on the cards but didn't much care for the extra speed and the Edge demo's I had seen were quick enough for me. I was also aware that I could get v2.0 software so that wouldnt be any different.

Like many of you I got told I could upgrade early too for £99 for an 8gb. Given that CEX would buy my old iPhone for £148 cash it seemed stupid not to. Also Edge is not available in my area, so connection is s l o w. So the plan was to take my old iPhone all boxed up and looking pretty (I keep my phones like new throughout) in to the ciy centre (I live in Sheffield), upgrade at O2 and sell at CEX. There 2 mins walk from each other.

Wow im sorry this is so long winded! Anyway..
After seeing that a 16gb upgrade would only be £159 I pondered treating myself as I had just downloaded 100+ 'Learn Japanese' podcasts and so a little extra room would be nice. Then I saw that a white version was available and I love its look. Its kinda retro yet mondern and very 'Maccy'

So I began to call O2 almost every day for stock updates as well as check o2.co.uk every morning. When calling I would always ask:

"Hi, do you have any white 16gig iPhone 3G's in stock"
The reply would almost always be:
"No we have no iPhone's in stock at all, sorry"
Or:
"Sorry we only have the 8gig at the moment"

This went on for a while and I considered just going for an 8gig until last friday (25/07) when I was told that they do have iPhones in stock, both 8 and 16gig. So I got up extra early to get me a white iPhone 3G before I had to go to work.

When I got there however I was told that they don't even get white iPhone's! Well they could have told me that when I called every day specifically asking for white! So I did what everyone else here has done and asked at the Apple store (at meadowhall) if I could buy from them and use my old sim card, but they said no as I would be entering into a 2nd contract. O2 have told me that it wouldn't be possible either. Annoyingly the Apple store and O2 store in Meadowhall are bang opposite each other. I'm tempted to enter Apple and lob one over into O2.

It's funny how much more I want a white iPhone now that its near impossible to get. I have been told a couple of times that CPW and O2 will get white in 2 months but I have also read that O2 will get a limited stock on the 1st of August which can be pre-ordered by phone on the 28th of July.

Anyway that is my story and I hope you enjoyed it :p

cdpilkington

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2006
Hi guys, my first time on here and what brought me here was my problem with O2!

I am a long time Mac addict.

-Snip-

I was in the same boat as you a bit ago.
Keep trying with O2 customer care, and you will get through eventually. I got an email today letting me know I could 'upgrade' at an Apple store by taking out a new contract and canceling the old one, so my only advice is to keep trying until you reach someone who'll help you. Don't give up yet! :)

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Has anyone upgraded to a new iPhone at the Apple store while being on the Family Talk plan?

I bought a 3G before I converted both of my iPhones to the Family Talk plan and now I wish to upgrade the second iPhone.

Cousin Dirk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
London, UK
I've been having all sorts of fun having a back and forth email conversation kicked off the the "Contact us" email form. I have received three return emails thus far (all from people with names implying that O2 have outsourced all of their customer care to Delhi), each with a slightly differing story. Including the most recent one, which implies O2 aren't even selling the iPhone at all:

We're currently not offering 3G iPhone Black. The 3G iPhone White hasn't been launched yet. The 3G iPhone White may be launched in coming weeks. To find out when the 3G iPhone White will be launched, please keep checking the below link:

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone
:rolleyes:

No idea when I'll be able to get the white iPhone 3G from O2 :(

Sanzu08

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
London
Success !!!

Okay,

to recap: I have a 1st Gen iPhone and the contract on that runs until April 08 [correction I mean APRIL 09 !].

after a fair bit of emailing and calling I managed to get an email from O2 upgrades team saying I could buy at the Apple store and they would treat it as an upgrade.

On Friday I bought a White 3G at Regents Street store - it was activated instore - new acccount.

Got home, switched the sims, so I have my old phone number.

Just now I rang O2 (with a fair bit of trepidation) and explained what happend - had to do so a couple of times and quote the name of the guy from Upgrades who had said I could do this.

Long and short of it is they have 'merged' the two account, I get to keep my old number, my next bill will be at £45 rather than £35 (I paid £59 for the phone) and now runs for 18months from now.

Conclusion: You can buy a phone form Apple store and get O2 to treat it as an upgrade.
Caveat: I'd only do it if you have an email from them agreeing in advance

I LOVE the 16GB White !

mjeffries

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2008
Okay,

to recap: I have a 1st Gen iPhone and the contract on that runs until April 08.

after a fair bit of emailing and calling I managed to get an email from O2 upgrades team saying I could buy at the Apple store and they would treat it as an upgrade.

On Friday I bought a White 3G at Regents Street store - it was activated instore - new acccount.

Got home, switched the sims, so I have my old phone number.

Just now I rang O2 (with a fair bit of trepidation) and explained what happend - had to do so a couple of times and quote the name of the guy from Upgrades who had said I could do this.

Long and short of it is they have 'merged' the two account, I get to keep my old number, my next bill will be at £45 rather than £35 (I paid £59 for the phone) and now runs for 18months from now.

Conclusion: You can buy a phone form Apple store and get O2 to treat it as an upgrade.
Caveat: I'd only do it if you have an email from them agreeing in advance

I LOVE the 16GB White !

They wont do it for me as my contract runs for another 14 months :( I give up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.