So I got rid of my 3G Data Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Andrew K., Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

I know I know why get the iPhone 3G in the first place, right? Well I got it at launch and the service here is good, but then received my first bill which was $145 and then get my next bill for this month at its $110, For me this was just way too much and I use wifi alot ( work, school, home) so I got rid of the data but can still use wifi. Anyone else do this?

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Wow. If you can't afford the data plan then you simply can't afford the iPhone. It's spending like this that causes depressions.

3. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Highly disagree. If the OP does not find $30 a month for unlimited 3g internet worth the money, they should not spend it. The iPhone is still a great phone without 3G.

4. Andrew K. thread starter macrumors 65816

Uhhm no I just thought it was better to save money because I used internet every else but still liked the iPhone. $100 a month a phone is much for anyone but the first iPhone at $75 a month was at least more manageable. geez

5. StayAlive macrumors newbie

What provider are you on? Are you still able to use Edge?

6. rsk137 macrumors member

EDGE will use the network thus charging unreal amount of PPU data.

I wouldn't ever take the data plan off an iphone because I don't want to forget that I don't have it when not in a WiFi area and end up with overages. Since the iPhone uses the actual web when browsing and a good deal of apps use data, you are going to hit overages total more than your $30 data plan in about 30 seconds.

That's just me of course.

:)

7. acousticbiker macrumors 6502

I thought a data plan was required?

8. rsk137 macrumors member

It is, which is why I am slightly curious to how he got it removed. Although, I don't know what other carriers' terms are outside of the US.

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

they can block all data transfers (they can do this with texts too) so you don't get charged.

10. rsk137 macrumors member

Yea, I know. The thing is, at least with AT&T, you can't take the data plan off so I'm more curious about that. :)

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

If you beg, bite and scratch they'll take it off.

12. stoich macrumors member

The Solution to the Data Plan Charge

Thats got to be a joke? Why even purchase the Iphone in the first place?

You are defeating the purpose.

The Solution:

I'm assuming you have a job and make somewhere in the range of $14-$18 an hour. Now if you work 6 days a week and clockout 5 minutes later every day at your job then you will work an extra 120 minutes a month and therefore you would make between $28-$36 extra a month and that would pay for your data plan!!! HOORAY!! Problem solved :D

13. rsk137 macrumors member

Hm, I wouldn't :) I work for AT&T and I would never do that. Why? Because that's the same customer that comes back into my store two months later, "Why is my bill $900 dollars?"

I see stuff like that all the time with other phones. People don't want the data plan on their tilt because it has wifi, but sure enough, "Well, I accidently forgot I didn't have it and used it when I wasn't near wifi"

I guess it all depends on who you talk to, but really, it's a mandatory feature and, imho, if you can't afford the $30/month, you shouldn't have the iPhone.

14. stoich macrumors member

15. DreamPod macrumors 65816

Um, huh? The new plan isn't $25 more than the old plan!

16. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I agree with your last statement. But AT&T can block all data transfers through the network. So no data charges will come up.

17. rsk137 macrumors member

You are correct!

The new plan for the same unlimited data and 200 text messages is only $15 more :)

18. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

to be fair it's not the same unlimited data, it's 3G.

19. rsk137 macrumors member

That's correct, but the data plan isn't suppose to be removed in the first place. It just doesn't make much since since a good portion of the apps from the app store use data as does the default apps such as safari, maps, weather, stocks, and dang near everything. :p

and unlimited GPS :)

20. pedroistheman macrumors 6502

pedroistheman

It might not make sense at this point since you already spent 200-300 on the phone, but you're better off with an iPod touch if you're not using data service. If you're only using it at WIFI spots then why bother with an ATT contract?

21. KidStallyn macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

That's what they told me tonight. I cancelled my wifes data plan on her blackberry, but the guy mentioned that if he cleared it off the iPhone, he would get fired, and we would get charged the early termination fee.

22. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

I have been data plan free since I got my iPhone, its great. I only pay $45/month for service with tons of minutes and 1500sms.

23. davyreins macrumors 6502

I don't see what the big deal is with taking off the data plan. It really does make sense for some people.

24. rsk137 macrumors member

It's because even to use some of the core functions of the phone (besides the phone) it uses data.

Examples:

*The weather app uses data to update.
    *Maps uses data to download the maps and directions
    *Safari uses data to surf the web
    *Stocks uses data to gather/update information
    *App store uses data to download/use apps
    *Mail uses data to download mail and attachments

So AT&T and Apple were actually quite smart by requiring people to have the data plan. Otherwise people would accumulate massive overages given the chance to remove the data plan thinking they were going to save $20 or $30 bucks a month.

25. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

They will take it off. All you have to do is tell them, you don't want it, take it off.

They can't legally continue to charge you for it if you have asked them to remove it. Period.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.