Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

sracer said:
As mentioned in the original post, I don't want to be able to wake up the device by with the home button or touching the screen. I want to disable the slider and have only the power button be able to wake up the device. This would work best for the way I use the device.
Your mistake was thinking that most iPod users are critical thinkers rather than them simply accepting what currently is as gospel.

The thought that differing slider behavior could theoretically be an option in "settings" escapes them. Choice is a burden. ;)

After all, who in their right mind would want to do something that isn't currently possible?! :eek: :D

this post was painful to read.

ironman159

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2008
Costa Rica
Is this thread some kind of joke? It could've ended in the first page!

My god... Return the freaking iPod if you don't like it. By the way... when you bought it, did you even used one before making the decision? I mean: did you even at least used one on Best Buy/Apple Store/wherever?

Hellishness

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Is this thread some kind of joke? It could've ended in the first page!

My god... Return the freaking iPod if you don't like it. By the way... when you bought it, did you even used one before making the decision? I mean: did you even at least used one on Best Buy/Apple Store/wherever?

I agree!! I knew exactly how iPt's worked before I ever bought one. FWIW, I've never even thought as the slide to unlock as an annoyance. I can do it in well under a second, and when I had a passcode, it could do that in like a second.

It takes one hand and no thinking. The only thing I need two hands for is texting and games...how much of an annoyance can it be??

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
...how much of an annoyance can it be??
Clearly it is an extra second of unnecessary annoyance. Multiply that times the number of times you have to do it each day. Multiply that times 365.242199. Say you have to do it 10 times a day. I call that an extra hour of annoyance/year. More if you love your Touch. All for Apple's poor UI design. Throw in a few more hours for needing to drop back to settings every time you want to change an EQ setting, turn on airplane mode, or maybe just disable WiFi so the Touch won't run down overnight.

beg_ne

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
The most funny thing about this thread is the OP probably wasted more of his life nerd-raging about the slide here than it would take him just to unlock the iPod his entire life. :D :apple:

Mr Slippy IV

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Vail, AZ
Settings –> General –> Auto-Lock –> Never

This is the only solution without jailbreaking.

Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif

Hayduke60

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2009
You could hire a page to carry the offending device. At your bidding he would do the sliding of that vile button for you. Thus saving precious time in your busy schedule for more rewarding pursuits.

/just sayin'

Mr Slippy IV

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Vail, AZ
I literally LAUGHED when I read the title, and the OP's post. Has the American population got *so lazy* that it's "annoying" or a PITA to "Slide to unlock"?! Wow.

American here, and unfortunately, there are some people here like that.

But not me. I unlock my iPod like the rest of us.

fosking

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
Ok which one is it?

A) You were never loved as a child growing up and now believes the world owes you something?

B) You were so spoiled that mommy did everything for you (probably including wiping your ass your that lazy!)?

You have a touchscreen device, get over it and get rid of it!

GekiRed

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
Hades aka England
It's nice to see so many helpful and creative comments in this thread... NOT!

Don't you people realise that what you're saying is tantamount to bullying, especially considering what one person said about disabled people.

Haven't you thought that some people who use these products might be disabled themselves and might have difficulty swiping the screen for one reason or another to unlock the device.

If they are disabled, what are they supposed to do, use their tongue or a pen or stylus in their mouth to swipe the screen!?! Even better, I suppose they're not allowed to use the product at all as it's only meant to be used by "special people"!?![/sarcasm]

That's why I refuse to classify myself as a Apple fanboy/evangelist/whatever as I'd rather keep my braincells than lose them spouting all kinds of crap about why Apple products are great and everything else sucks ass, especially anything by Microsoft! On another note, what's the odds that a lot of people who say that Microsoft products suck ass also own XBox 360's, if so, then they're the biggest hypocrites of all!:D

Look at it this way, I can see why the makers of "The Simpsons" took the piss out of Apple so much in the "Mypods and Boomsticks" episode!:D

At the end of the day, the OP has the right to say what he wants, and if you don't like it, then I guess maybe you're either in the wrong thread or on the wrong board!

fosking

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
GekiRed, mate you've lost the plot! Theres nothing wrong with this person except laziness! It's like buying a car then moaning you have to put the key in the ignition to start it. Theres been suggestions to help but none are good enough. I'm certainly not an Apple fanboy but I recognize laziness when I see it.

GekiRed

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
Hades aka England
GekiRed, mate you've lost the plot! Theres nothing wrong with this person except laziness! It's like buying a car then moaning you have to put the key in the ignition to start it. Theres been suggestions to help but none are good enough. I'm certainly not an Apple fanboy but I recognize laziness when I see it.

I can understand where you're coming from, but I think he had a valid opinion in what he/she said about having to swipe the screen to unlock the iPod Touch.

I have to do it on my HTC HD2 every time, and there's been times when the swipes haven't been recognised, especially when I'm trying to answer a phone call but I've not been frustrated enough to want to throw it against a wall.

At the end of the day, it's all about wanting to have the possibility of having a choice to swipe or to tap.

Now that I know that there's a way to tap the screen to unlock the iPod Touch via jailbreaking (which I was already planning on doing on my new iPod Touch when I get it), I'll definitely be installing that option on my device, and to be fair, if the thread OP doesn't want to jailbreak to get that option because they're not confident enough to do so, it's their choice, but at the same time, they shouldn't be bullied just because they had the balls to say what they did about swiping the screen.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Haven't you thought that some people who use these products might be disabled themselves and might have difficulty swiping the screen for one reason or another to unlock the device.

If they are disabled, what are they supposed to do, use their tongue or a pen or stylus in their mouth to swipe the screen!?! Even better, I suppose they're not allowed to use the product at all as it's only meant to be used by "special people"!?![/sarcasm]

If someone has a disability that makes it overly difficult to swipe to unlock, then I wouldn't recommend they use a touch screen device at all. I mean, once you swipe to unlock, you have to swipe more to use the device -- for instance, to scroll through a web page in Safari. Yes, it sucks that having disabilities means there are lots of things you can't do or use. But that's why it's called a disability! You learn to swipe with a stylus in your mouth, or you do without. I don't think you'll hear anyone with a physical disability complaining JUST about the swipe to unlock, like the OP. There are bigger issues to contend with than just that!

fosking

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
At the end of the day, if people think Apple haven't done their market research on people using their products with disabilities, they're dumb! [/stupiddisabilitydebate]

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
At the end of the day, if people think Apple haven't done their market research on people using their products with disabilities, they're dumb! [/stupiddisabilitydebate]

For me personally, Apple's track record with usability is not that good. When the Macintosh first came out, I found the mouse unusable, and it was Windows that first implemented the "click lock" feature that finally allowed me to use a mouse. And apparently, that feature is still not included in OSX! In terms of iOS, double clicking the home button is very difficult for me, so I'm not looking forward to multitasking in iOS4, where you need to double click to bring up the multitask tray. If Apple were really committed to usability, they would make these functions remappable to other gestures or button press combinations, or they could make the double clicking speed user customizable, like you can with double clicks on a PC mouse.

burgundyyears

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
For me personally, Apple's track record with usability is not that good. When the Macintosh first came out, I found the mouse unusable, and it was Windows that first implemented the "click lock" feature that finally allowed me to use a mouse. And apparently, that feature is still not included in OSX! In terms of iOS, double clicking the home button is very difficult for me, so I'm not looking forward to multitasking in iOS4, where you need to double click to bring up the multitask tray. If Apple were really committed to usability, they would make these functions remappable to other gestures or button press combinations, or they could make the double clicking speed user customizable, like you can with double clicks on a PC mouse.

Customizability and usability are often at odds with each other, not complementary, especially in a mobile product.

bmb012

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2006
Because you decided to buy a device from a company that takes the burden of deciding what features you want or don't want away from you.

There are several suggestions to get around this "annoyance"- instead of continuing to complain about it, why don't you try some of them?

A company, deciding what features do or do not go into the product they create? Scandal!

Next you'll be telling me that companies choose what products they create!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Customizability and usability are often at odds with each other, not complementary, especially in a mobile product.

I do realize making things usable for people with disability is difficult, especially since some requirements for different disabilities may be contradictory with each other. But I was just responding to a previous poster who suggested Apple has a good record with providing usability options to point out that at least in my case, I've found their track record to be at best mixed.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
It's nice to see so many helpful and creative comments in this thread... NOT!

Don't you people realise that what you're saying is tantamount to bullying, especially considering what one person said about disabled people.

That's why I refuse to classify myself as a Apple fanboy/evangelist/whatever as I'd rather keep my braincells than lose them spouting all kinds of crap about why Apple products are great and everything else sucks ass, especially anything by Microsoft! On another note, what's the odds that a lot of people who say that Microsoft products suck ass also own XBox 360's, if so, then they're the biggest hypocrites of all!:D

Look at it this way, I can see why the makers of "The Simpsons" took the piss out of Apple so much in the "Mypods and Boomsticks" episode!:D

At the end of the day, the OP has the right to say what he wants, and if you don't like it, then I guess maybe you're either in the wrong thread or on the wrong board!

What are you even talking about? Anyway, if the OP has a right to say what he wants, so do we :)

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Someone please delete this shameful Thread

Please do. I can't believe there's people so lazy out there.

This is what you can do on the iPad (sorry I don't have an iPod Touch, but I would imagine the settings should be the same if not very similar):

- Go to Settings
- Go to Auto-Lock
- Change it to NEVER. (You could also change it to a higher number of minutes, so at least you won't have to Unlock every time as soon as you press the Power button.

I hope this works.

Also, if your finger gets too tired, remember you have 9 more to use, plus 10 toes. (JK) :D

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
You may have a right to a opinion, but you don't have the right to act all high and mighty and rude to a person like the OP!

OP could have asked a simple question.

Q: is there a way to get rid of the "swipe to unlock" screen?
A: nope.

Thread over.

But no, he threw a big fit, writing a massive rant. That's just asking for it. Not really an excuse for other posters to come down to his level, but no need for you to get offended on his behalf as if he were a completely innocent victim.

msafi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2010
You may have a right to a opinion, but you don't have the right to act all high and mighty and rude to a person like the OP!

Thank you so much for defending me against Apple fanboys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.