Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
How does one remedy a situation like this?

Loving the 14 pro. I like the DI over the notch, love the screen real estate, and am happy to have macro photography again - it’s one thing I really missed when I moved to the mini.

However, I do not love the weight. I had a 13 pro before my 13 mini, so I know I will get used to it over time. Heck I even went to Apple yesterday and tried a 14 pro max in store considering buying it (not that it really weighed much more than the regular pro), but after a couple days, I am now really missing my lightweight 13 mini.

So how do you choose between features you really enjoy or a size/weight you really love?

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011

Loving the 14 pro. I like the DI over the notch, love the screen real estate, and am happy to have macro photography again - it’s one thing I really missed when I moved to the mini.

However, I do not love the weight. I had a 13 pro before my 13 mini, so I know I will get used to it over time. Heck I even went to Apple yesterday and tried a 14 pro max in store considering buying it (not that it really weighed much more than the regular pro), but after a couple days, I am now really missing my lightweight 13 mini.

So how do you choose between features you really enjoy or a size/weight you really love?

Personally, when I'm in that situation I try to lean on what's most pragmatic and practical to make a final decision in that scenario. Of course, what's most pragmatic and practical might differ depending on the day... ;)

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Personally, when I'm in that situation I try to lean on what's most pragmatic and practical to make a final decision in that scenario. Of course, what's most pragmatic and practical might differ depending on the day... ;)
Well practical would've been to never order the 14 pro in the first place but I've been wanting a phone with no notch since the notch was introduced. Of course I'm past that point now. ;-p

I definitely like them both very much for different reasons.

MM301

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2020
I’m in similar boat. I like the 14 Pro. Great phone, great features but I don’t like holding it. Camera bump is where my hand rests and overall not as comfortable as the regular 13.

I’m going back to the 13.

To each their own though. You have to determine what’s best for YOU!

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
Well practical would've been to never order the 14 pro in the first place but I've been wanting a phone with no notch since the notch was introduced. Of course I'm past that point now. ;-p

Now that you've owned both, it shouldn't be that difficult to make that decision.
Get another 13 mini and off the 14 pro.
Or keep both! :D

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Now that you've owned both, it shouldn't be that difficult to make that decision.
Get another 13 mini and off the 14 pro.
Or keep both! :D

I still have the mini. With eSIM I have no way to really keep and use both, so I'll have to make up my mind. :)

LacrosseChic

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2022

I returned my 14 pro and went back to the mini. I just missed it too much honestly

roxysdad

macrumors member
May 19, 2005
I’m typing this on the 14 Pro. Love the phone but I miss the weight and size of the 13 Mini. It’s just such a nice unobtrusive device that does everything I need in a smartphone. I keep trying to talk myself into the 14 Pro, so that’s my hint that I’m doing the wrong thing. Anytime I try to talk myself into something means it’s not for me

LacrosseChic

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2022
I’m typing this on the 14 Pro. Love the phone but I miss the weight and size of the 13 Mini. It’s just such a nice unobtrusive device that does everything I need in a smartphone. I keep trying to talk myself into the 14 Pro, so that’s my hint that I’m doing the wrong thing. Anytime I try to talk myself into something means it’s not for me
Exactly what I was doing all weekend. Trying to justify spending that amount of money on a phone I kept having to talk myself into…. And then I got genuinely sad thinking of getting rid of the mini. So returned the 14 pro yesterday and I’m typing this on my mini 🤩

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
I'm in the same boat. I've been a diehard mini defender on these and other forums. I've had both the 12 and 13 mini models. But as I posted in another thread last week, the Mini was the perfect "pandemic phone" but once I returned to business-as-usual, I did find myself wishing I had a slightly bigger screen and bigger battery. I knew the Pro would be bigger and heavier, but I was surprised just how big and heavy it actually is. Having said that, the Pro is obviously a better phone than the Mini in every single area except for its heft. Also I didn't realize how bad my typing is on the mini compared to the pro.

So it comes down to this: Are the increased features of the Pro worth the increased size? The answer is going to be different for everyone.

I told myself I'd give the Pro 7-10 days before committing one way or another. But I know it will be hard for me to give up all the new stuff, and better battery. I was constantly topping off the Mini (battery health at 92%) because I was terrified of leaving the house with less than a 50% charge. I finally put my Pro on the charger last night at 9pm with nearly 30% left. That's incredible.

Also contributing toward my decision—the leaks that there won't be a Mini next year either. Which means that if I want to stay on the iOS platform, I will eventually have to go big anyway. And with the carrier trade-in deals so good right now, if I don't upgrade, I feel like I'm leaving money on the table.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I'm in the same boat. I've been a diehard mini defender on these and other forums. I've had both the 12 and 13 mini models. But as I posted in another thread last week, the Mini was the perfect "pandemic phone" but once I returned to business-as-usual, I did find myself wishing I had a slightly bigger screen and bigger battery. I knew the Pro would be bigger and heavier, but I was surprised just how big and heavy it actually is. Having said that, the Pro is obviously a better phone than the Mini in every single area except for its heft. Also I didn't realize how bad my typing is on the mini compared to the pro.

So it comes down to this: Are the increased features of the Pro worth the increased size? The answer is going to be different for everyone.

I told myself I'd give the Pro 7-10 days before committing one way or another. But I know it will be hard for me to give up all the new stuff, and better battery. I was constantly topping off the Mini (battery health at 92%) because I was terrified of leaving the house with less than a 50% charge. I finally put my Pro on the charger last night at 9pm with nearly 30% left. That's incredible.

Also contributing toward my decision—the leaks that there won't be a Mini next year either. Which means that if I want to stay on the iOS platform, I will eventually have to go big anyway. And with the carrier trade-in deals so good right now, if I don't upgrade, I feel like I'm leaving money on the table.

Yeah I think it was just some shock going to the heft of the pro after using the mini for a while, even though I had a pro before. I don’t really need the extra battery life, but I have to say - it’s been nice. I just put mine on the charger with 26% after at least a full day.

And truthfully, I love just about everything about the new phone, EXCEPT the weight, and the fact that my mini is SO easy to use one-handed. Every time I pick up my mini I miss it, but then I look at the notch, which is honestly so much more noticeable on the mini, and it annoys me.

Right now I’m definitely leaning toward keeping the 14 pro, but I’m waiting on my Loopy case to arrive today, and then I’m gonna give it a couple days to see if that helps.

I think I’ll cry when I sell this mini though. :(

Reactions: lkalliance

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
You could always return the Pro, use your mini again, and if you change your mind later, order a pro again.

True, but it’s just a pain moving stuff back and forth, especially with my awful internet/cellular situation.

That is one more plus for the pro - I swear it gets better cellular service inside my house. HUGE perk out here in the boonies. I don’t think it’s my imagination either.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Well, I returned the pro today, and am back using my mini. I can’t believe I’m actually back to a dang notch after wanting a notch-less phone for so long.

I really loved the 14 pro and have nothing bad to say about it other than the weight of it just is not for me at this point. Handled a regular 14 in store, and I could go that route, except the 13 mini is basically the same phone only smaller, and I like it. At least maybe the regular 15 will lose the notch (here’s hopin).

I will say that moving back to the 13 was NOT as seamless as moving to the 14 pro. The eSim didn’t transfer over - it left the 14 pro but didn’t work on the 13 mini. It took two and a half hours in the AT&T store to fix it, in addition to it killing my daughter’s 13 pro because somehow my mini IMEI was listed under her number - makes ZERO sense.

Anyway, after that I went to Apple and within a couple minutes I was done.

I‘m a little sad, but apparently size really does matter. At least to me. ;-p

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
Well, I returned the pro today, and am back using my mini. I can’t believe I’m actually back to a dang notch after wanting a notch-less phone for so long.

I really loved the 14 pro and have nothing bad to say about it other than the weight of it just is not for me at this point. Handled a regular 14 in store, and I could go that route, except the 13 mini is basically the same phone only smaller, and I like it. At least maybe the regular 15 will lose the notch (here’s hopin).

I will say that moving back to the 13 was NOT as seamless as moving to the 14 pro. The eSim didn’t transfer over - it left the 14 pro but didn’t work on the 13 mini. It took two and a half hours in the AT&T store to fix it, in addition to it killing my daughter’s 13 pro because somehow my mini IMEI was listed under her number - makes ZERO sense.

Glad you figured out the best thing for you.
I really like the 13 mini, perfect in most ways except for my old eyes.
I went for the 13 pro as a result, but still wonder if I could have lived with the mini instead, as it's physical size & weight are VERY attractive.

mikext

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Dallas
I'm curious... Does your mini screen feel extremely small now that you've spent a significant amount of time with a larger phone?

The 14 Pro will always be there if you change your mind again. Who knows what the 15 Pro holds? Maybe they'll find a way to make a lighter Pro.

I'm one of those annoying iPhone mini cult members you hear about on this forum, but after two years of use, the size is perfect for me, and can live with the tradeoffs for that form factor. We're glad to have you back. 🤣🤪

Last edited:

tis

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2020
I find the “dynamic island” more obtrusive than the notch. It’s been useless for me thus far. I think they could have left the notch and made it perform the same actions. It feels more like a backwards move that won’t stay long term. Similar to the useless touchbar on MacBooks.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I’m late in the thread and was about to say let me know what you decide cause I missed delivery today and will get my 14 Pro Space Black tomorrow.

12 mini user diehard here.

Good thinking. Believe in your thoughts.

Fellow mini user and lover here. Seen and agreed with a few of your posts.

iOS 16, and to a degree iOS 15.6/15.5 was the real eye opener for me using my 12 mini which I’m currently still on.

Websites I’ve frequent have begun to have odd rendering issues, mostly bottom of the page - where I have my universal safari search/url bar. An odd freezing bug that seems random.

The upgrade to iOS 16 is becoming a deal breaker for me on my 12 mini. Soon as I heard rumores a 13 mini would be the last mini I knew something would be wrong.

Ios16 issues:
Black rectangle in notifications. Unsure if singular or a grouping.
Overlapping notifications (group/single doesn’t matter). This happens even after FaceID unlocks and scroll up to show noting but the notifications there is still overlapping. Groups that are overlapped cannot be expanded/separated to show all.

Lock Screen is starting to look crazy crowded like those terribly busy android lock screens - just much more uniformly balance I guess.

True, but it’s just a pain moving stuff back and forth, especially with my awful internet/cellular situation.

That is one more plus for the pro - I swear it gets better cellular service inside my house. HUGE perk out here in the boonies. I don’t think it’s my imagination either.

Other than music pics/videos not sure what is a pain to live back and forth if you use iCloud to backup/restore or even sync.

All PIM (Calendar, Contacts, Notes, email) bookmarks and data within apps that’s backed up would restore. Apps with their own data - content consumption apps/social media - would just sync up once signed-in.

iOS passwords makes restoring app accounts super easy.

Personally I feel pictures, videos and music are the most pain in the butt and longest to restore.

Best choice for you is what works best for you!

Please keep an eye out for things I’ve experience on the 12 mini above - blank notification listing, overlapping notifications and some websites missing bottom edge of the page just blank entries that suddenly show up within 3 lines of scrolling.

For me I tried the 13 mini and it was noticeably faster in launching apps ro games, less stutter of games (island wars specifically). Returned the 13 mins for 2 major reasons: no better pics especially bright light lens flare or halos, and the Notch, although narrower than the 12 mini, on the 13 mini it stood out like a HUGE eye sore.

I hope Apple retries the mini with portrait and macro lenses not ultrawide with the dynamic island. Animations like Siri Ned’s to be a LOT smaller - it’s unique enough that it doesn’t need to cover so much screen. I’m beginning to think FaceID is slowed down due to the FaceID animation!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.