So I somehow got an extra phone..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dtp8513, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Dtp8513 macrumors regular

I had some issues when ordering with ATT so I put an order with apple. Long story short, both phones arrived and Im not sure what to do..

I opened the ATT one and I am using it, but the Apple one is the one with Apple Care... I dont want to open the Apple one because im scared of getting charged some unsubsiszed price...

Anyone have anything similar? Can I go ahead and resell this online or to a friend?

Any ideas?

2. Legionnaire macrumors 6502

refuse that you ever received 2 and get rid of it. to someone/anyone.. as long as you didnt sign for them both.

3. nfl46 macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Call Apple and tell them so you can send it back. If you keep it, I wouldn't be surprised if you eventually get charged for it.

4. Dtp8513 thread starter macrumors regular

I signed for them both- and the pending charge for the ATT phone disapppeared.... my guess is that Im going to get a bill for the ATT phone at full price.. Can you return the phone to any ATT store?

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Horrible advice. They are serialized, he would be guilty of a crime and it would be provable.

----------

This.

6. Dtp8513 thread starter macrumors regular

Do you think it matters which one I send back? I personally rather use the Apple.com phone that I bought with AppleCare + but Im happy to use the ATT instead if I have to

7. Jason black macrumors regular

8. princesultan macrumors regular

just be honest and send 1 back. had a similar situation happen to me but with an hd tv!

9. Dtp8513 thread starter macrumors regular

I want to send one back-just not sure which one i should

10. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

I would just hold on to it for awhile incase they ask for it back or try to charge you for it.

If they don't say anything in a few months, it's whatever.

11. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Have you tried calling apple or AT&T? I know it is a long shot but the may be able to help.

12. X-rated macrumors member

13. Millionin20s macrumors regular

I would call Apple, explain the situation to them, and ask if they could transfer the AppleCare + over to the AT&T one you activated already. Apple would probably be more willing to provide good customer service in this case, plus if they do allow you to return the phone you'd have concrete directions on how to get it back to them.

14. Mulyahnto macrumors member

That's not true, at least not in the United States. Under some unsolicited mail law, you can't be guilty of a crime keeping something that is mailed to you without your request. If return is requested, you'll have to send it back, but not on your own dime.

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

The phones are sent to a user after having been scanned and checked via serial number. Return the extra one. Last thing you want is a double charge.

Or you can take up on that charge and sell the second iPhone for profit seeing as how 4S inventories are dry.

16. Dtp8513 thread starter macrumors regular

Its not a matter of right or wrong or karma- i paid for both phones- i just dont want to get charged a huge fee or for an unsubs. phone...

I'll wait to see what charges actually clear on my card and then return the appropriate phone..

thanks for the input everyone

17. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Just think. If you break or loose the one you are using, You'll REALLY wish you had the other one as a quick backup..

18. Dtp8513 thread starter macrumors regular

Just to add even more confusion, I bought apple care for the phone that is currently unopened... I wonder if I can call apple and just cancel the apple care for now- i guess either way im waiting a few days because they extended apple care for up to november for the other carriers

19. Shrink, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Sorry, I know this is going to sound what is called around here "self-righteous".

Pick one phone, return the other.

Apparently, for some here, acting ethically is outdated.There is an "if you can get away with it, do it" attitude that is very disturbing.

The issue is not whether you will be caught, it is doing what is obviously right and ethical for it's own sake. Ethical behavior in inner directed, irrespective of possible external consequences.

Do what is obviously right because it is right - even if you can "get away with it". All the b**********t rationalizations (e.g. everyone does it; they can afford to lose it )are just that - b**********t.

Karma, god's punishment, and the like, represent fear of external punishment for clearly unethical behavior. In my way of thinking, you have only yourself to whom to answer. We must personally engage in ethical behavior exactly because there are no external forces to punish unethical behavior. Sometimes difficult to do, but do it we should.

And, yes, I am not without sin. I do not intend to preach - but to set goals for my own behavior, and suggest it to others.

20. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

Be a good person, Call ATT or Apple.
    If I were you, Return the Apple one.

Apple has AMAZING customer service. Maybe..just MAYBE they'd let you keep the phone. Free.

21. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Happened to me when Verizon got the iPhone, Apple will call you eventually when their database reconciles with the carrier side. Make it easy, return the unopened one to Apple and buy AC+ for the one you opened.

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

How is this not an easy answer question that could have been answered by simple logic.

You got two phones, if you only want one then send the other back. If you want both, be sure there is room on your credit card to support the fee.

/shrug

I worry about people.

23. Sarngate macrumors regular

Cause that exists.

----------

Nobody's ethics are the same. You seem to be forgetting this.

24. kallyq macrumors regular

It seems many do not read the posts. I like the call and ask Apple what you should do answer. Maybe they would just transfer the apple care to the other phone and you could return the unopened one.

Just to clarify, it does not seem that this person is asking whether to keep the phones but which one to return given that the one without applecare was opened.

25. auero macrumors 65816

I had the same issue, ordered from AT&T, saw that Applecare+ wasn't available so I ordered from Apple and it worked. AT&T wouldn't cancel my order and said I had to refuse it when it came.