Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpookyMulder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2011
I've been lurking here for a while, but never felt the need to post anything until yesterday...I guess I'll just cut to the chase

So, I've been in Orlando for the past several days and yesterday we were visiting the Magic Kingdom in Disney World. Being a bit of a techie, I tend to check out people's phones and tablets to see what's out there. Anyway, yesterday, while boarding the little steam train that drives around the edge of the Magic Kingdom, I saw two Asian (Chinese, I'd assume) girls taking a picture of train. I immediately noticed that the camera app they were in was clearly iOS (or at least designed to look like iOS) but the phone was not an iPhone 4 or any previous model.

It was definitely larger than current iPhones and had a larger screen as well, probably about 4.0 inches, it didn't look big enough to be a 4.2 inch. The front facing camera and speaker were in the exact same spot as it's always been, but based on the short glance I had, I'd say the bezel above the screen took up a bit less space than it used to, so those may have been moved up just slightly. The home button was definitely longer and seemed to stand out visually more than on normal iPhones.

The actual shape of the phone did seem to match the rumors, as far as larger size and iPad like design. The edges were definitely tapered, like the iPad, but it didn't appear to have a teardrop shape that the leaked cases are showing. The phone was wearing a pink plastic case though, so it's always possible that the case eliminated the natural teardrop shape.

I can't say for sure that this is an iPhone 5 prototype, or just a good looking Chinese knock off; I'd assume its' the later, since I can't imagine someone running around the Magic Kingdom with an iPhone 5, but anything is possible. Point is, it was something that caught my eye, and I was hesitant about posting this because of the low odds that it really was an iPhone 5. Take from this what you will.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
If I had an iPhone 5, the last place I'd bring it is this God forsaken state.

Kidding, I love Orlando (I'm originally from New York) because it's a nice blend of city and the south.

But seriously, not that I'm doubting what you saw but if it was a legitimate iPhone 5 why would two random Chinese girls so blatantly use it for everyone to see? Just seems so out of place. I'd put 10 bucks on it being a pretty damn good looking knock off, or you want the iPhone 5 so badly your eyes and brain made you see what you want to see.

If you turn out of be right, then right on dude. But until Steve Jobs is holding it in his hands then we need to assume everything else is ************.

jonrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2011
I've been lurking here for a while, but never felt the need to post anything until yesterday...I guess I'll just cut to the chase

So, I've been in Orlando for the past several days and yesterday we were visiting the Magic Kingdom in Disney World. Being a bit of a techie, I tend to check out people's phones and tablets to see what's out there. Anyway, yesterday, while boarding the little steam train that drives around the edge of the Magic Kingdom, I saw two Asian (Chinese, I'd assume) girls taking a picture of train. I immediately noticed that the camera app they were in was clearly iOS (or at least designed to look like iOS) but the phone was not an iPhone 4 or any previous model.

It was definitely larger than current iPhones and had a larger screen as well, probably about 4.0 inches, it didn't look big enough to be a 4.2 inch. The front facing camera and speaker were in the exact same spot as it's always been, but based on the short glance I had, I'd say the bezel above the screen took up a bit less space than it used to, so those may have been moved up just slightly. The home button was definitely longer and seemed to stand out visually more than on normal iPhones.

The actual shape of the phone did seem to match the rumors, as far as larger size and iPad like design. The edges were definitely tapered, like the iPad, but it didn't appear to have a teardrop shape that the leaked cases are showing. The phone was wearing a pink plastic case though, so it's always possible that the case eliminated the natural teardrop shape.

I can't say for sure that this is an iPhone 5 prototype, or just a good looking Chinese knock off; I'd assume its' the later, since I can't imagine someone running around the Magic Kingdom with an iPhone 5, but anything is possible. Point is, it was something that caught my eye, and I was hesitant about posting this because of the low odds that it really was an iPhone 5. Take from this what you will.

Interesting story, but anyone came make one up based on the plethora of rumours that have come out.

AreYouIn?

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
More likely a knock off. Why would two young girls have an iPhone 5. I do love the mockups though.

ogremoustro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Okay this might seem weird. My guess is that if it is the real deal, they probably gave it to the two girls to take pictures with it and they're going to use those pictures to show the new image quality at the September event? This is just my assumption.

jonrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2011
Okay this might seem weird. My guess is that if it is the real deal, they probably gave it to the two girls to take pictures with it and they're going to use those pictures to show the new image quality at the September event? This is just my assumption.

Interesting thoughts.

SpookyMulder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2011
But seriously, not that I'm doubting what you saw but if it was a legitimate iPhone 5 why would two random Chinese girls so blatantly use it for everyone to see? Just seems so out of place. I'd put 10 bucks on it being a pretty damn good looking knock off, or you want the iPhone 5 so badly your eyes and brain made you see what you want to see.

If you turn out of be right, then right on dude. But until Steve Jobs is holding it in his hands then we need to assume everything else is ************.

100% agree. I'd be shocked if it was the real deal, but given iPhone4-gate, the leaked cases coming out of China, and the iPhone 4 video we saw in Vietnam last year, I figured it was a possibility at least worth acknowledging.

If it is a knock-off, as I suspect, someone out there is probably familiar with it and could easily settle this.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
In that heat & humidity it was likely a mirage :)

Bro, it's brutal out here. What's more depressing about the summer here (for us in retail management anyway) is it's so hot, no one wants to go outside and spend money so business is slow!

But on topic, OP if my eyes had seen what you had seen, this is the first place I'd come as well. :) I guess I'm trying not to get too excited, so blocking these "viewings" out of my mind helps a bit. My heart is set so badly on a 4" screen, I really don't want to defect to Android but for a large handed fella like myself, it's the deal breaker.

SpookyMulder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2011
No photos, eh?

No, sorry. I left MY phone in the hotel room because I didn't want it to fall out on a ride or get soaked on Splash Mountain (I'm really paranoid about water since my mother just ruined her new iPod nano while running in the rain.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.