So I tried the Apple maps turn-by-turn navigation earlier

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by danpass, Sep 21, 2012.

1. danpass, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

On an iPad 3 in this case.

The initial setup is just like google maps and you get several route options so I picked one.

Default seems to be 3D and it is decently angled. 2D view is an option as well.

It is very accurate in that it will know you are on the service drive route vs the main route just 30ft over and gives directions accordingly.

It adjusts on the fly without saying 'recalculating' lol, just gives you the next direction instead.

All in all nicely done. The only other things I'd ever used were a Garmin Nuvi 350 and of course the google maps (bb 8310, 3Gs, 4, and 4s). It does exhibit the same 'delay', as I consider it, "turn right in 100ft" but you're actually there already.

It also runs in the background, at least on the iPad

[​IMG]

2. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

3. mds macrumors 6502

4. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I know there are no spoken turn by turn on an iPH4, but i thought the app would still work as a navagation app. Mine will not progress along my route as i drive unless i swipe the screen. Also it is not updating the route if i get side tracked.

5. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Before you get flamed by trolls, we all know you meant "bird's eye view" and not actual 3D...:p

6. Ripcord macrumors newbie

I used it yesterday cross-city and it was fine, will keep using it. Plotting in various European and Australian cities I'm familiar with seemed good, and it was easier to view and adjust routes than my offline GPS app.

I guess a better test will be next month when I'm taking a cross-country trip, but I suspect mobile signal strength will be my biggest issue (so will use offline maps instead in the most rural cases).

7. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

can you download say the NYC metro area and use offline?

8. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

Yes, I suppose lol. Though it does say '3D' in the lower left.

If I had it on satellite view I may have been posting about the hilly route and earthquakes I'd encountered on the way home.

Good thing it was just Standard view, pheeeewwww!

9. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

I never used my iPhone 4S for turn by turn navigation prior to the release of iOS 6 (now that it's built in).

I used my works supplied phone, which is an android-based unit instead.

Having tried the 4S a couple of times now, I'm experiencing a lag of between 25 to 60+ yards depending on the speed of travel. It is enough of an issue to cause me to miss turns in towns & cities. From reading your experiences, this doesn't appear to be the current norm.

As such, I'm guessing this is more indicative of a problem with my phone, rather than the new mapping/navigation software?

10. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

No, I did mention the same issue, the delay as I called it over several phone models. I would get to the turn in reality but the google maps would still be behind.

Not so much an issue with the Nuvi 350

11. cynics macrumors G3

Prior to there being actual 3D building and satellite views the slanted angle was referred to 3D. Apple still uses this terminology.....

I think we will see a lot of flaming because of this....

12. Maskusee macrumors 6502a

Maskusee

Tried it yesterday for a short 5 mile ride.
    Worked very well. Wonder how it will work if you are actually on a phone call.

One option that I'd like to see is miles/kilometers till next turn.
    Not sure if there's an option for that.

So far very leased with it.

13. pittpanthersfan macrumors 6502

pittpanthersfan

I also really like it. I'm coming from an old (but very accurate) Garmin Nuvi. It's nice to now have navigation that's always up to date, knows and can route around traffic, and speaks the names of streets.

Does anyone know if anyone sells iPhone navigation kits: a landscape cradle and a car charger?

14. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

Try RAM mount. No charger function but that of course is solved with a cig lighter charger and cable.

http://www.rammount.com/Products/AppleMounts/tabid/1647/Default.aspx#/

15. Jrh1194 macrumors newbie

I have used it twice now and it does work pretty well. I live in the Charleston, SC area and the maps seem accurate for here. That of course does not mean that they are accurate for every area. I would think that Apple will work very hard to improve this program.

16. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

There are some. Apple sells them. Check their site or a Apple Retail Store.

17. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

I imagine it will work better if you're using it on the iP5.

18. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

19. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Nope. It will cache the entire route though.

20. nabwong macrumors regular

I used it today from Philly to moorestown , nj. Not the longest route but it worked great for me. I like the voice prompts

21. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I used it today for the first time, just tested it out going to work. Took me the quickest way and was very accurate, very impressed :D

Hmmm, strange. Mine tells me before around 10-15 seconds before hand so I easily have enough time.

22. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I used it several times today... Was flawless.

23. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

Thanks for the reply, I'm trying to establish whether I have a fault & need to do something about it.

Don't want to encourage anything dangerous, but was it positioned where you could see the screen and, if so, did it reflect an accurate position of your car at all times?

24. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

Nope, it's manual swipe only

----------

Tried it last night and this morning on my way to home and to work.

It seems to hate toll roads. If there is an option somewhere to tell it toll roads are ok, let me know where it is. I can't find it if it's there.

There are a lot of missing features I like having with Navigon, speed warnings, red light cameras etc. It's little things like that.

For a free turn by turn, it's excellent and a good start. Now, if they'd fix the actual maps, that would be great too.

25. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Well that is a shame, guess i will just stick with motion X until i can get the 5