Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
...at the Sherman Oaks, CA store, for the 3rd time in a row, and noticed that the first 10 ppl in line has been the same 10 ppl in line for the past 3 days.
Thats the problem that people havent experienced the "reseller effect" dont understand. The problem isn't that people are getting there ahead of you. The problem is that its the SAME people getting there ahead of you. And if each daily Apple shipment is 14-20 devices with a limit of 2 per customer then these exact same resellers will get almost the entire stock EVERY day.

I get it. People think the obvious answer is to get there early, but thats missing the point. This is a problem that could be solved with a little intervention from Apple. Sometimes you see the people who hand the line mules their envelope of cash so Apple is aware of the issue and they've established rules that worked in the past like "limit 1 per customer", "preorder online for pickup" or "credit cards only" so why not implement it when its obvious that there's a problem in getting this into peoples hands?

EdwardMoffet

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2011
This is actually what we need. A few good brawls, a couple of arrests and apple would change this useless lottery system they are now using.

You know, I was actually just thinking that same thing. If people started fighting, this "free publicity" for Apple would turn sour real quick.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just for laughs I would love to go to the Apple store wearing a hat and windbreaker with a big INS logo emblazoned on them and march up and down the line, scrutinizing faces and taking pictures.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
How about going to Topanga or Northridge. A little farther but they are also bigger malls. Well Topanga is.

Mdifilm

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2010
Cleveland
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just for laughs I would love to go to the Apple store wearing a hat and windbreaker with a big INS logo emblazoned on them and march up and down the line, scrutinizing faces and taking pictures.

that wouldn't do much differences, since none of these people are working so INS or now the ICE would not be able to do much with them being 'legally' on the street, and randomly asking for their ID, then it becomes 'racial profiling'

Now, you may also run into the problem of 'impersonating a federal agent' even though you can claim it's INS stands for different thing. :) (I have these INS shirts and many times I so bad want to wear them but can't lol - it was given to me by an former INS agent).

I am a Chinese American and honestly I find it annoying to see many people scalping for stuff of any kind, it's make me mad that I couldn't 1. get there on time, ,and 2. they have no courtesy... but I also know this is a free market and people can 'do whatever' they want. (I've seen the same thing happening even at MicroCenter... or during Black Friday sales, where people of all races scalps like crazy).

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC

I'm not talking about asking for ID. I'm just talking about making a few people nervous. The real illegals know what INS is but probably don't know they're basically powerless. It's like when you see a cop and you stand straighter, even if you're doing nothing wrong.

As far as impersonating a federal officer, these people are impersonating American citizens and worse, they're impersonating Apple fans! Besides, everyone knows INS stands for I'm Not Steve.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
I am not 100% on this but I believe that the Apple Store in Vancouver started taking down your information when you were buying the iPhone 4 because of scalpers. I know for several months it was very hard to get so they had to start enforcing that as it was the same people everyday.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I remember with the iPad 1, there was a limit to how many a customer could buy. At the Apple store they did not take cash, you had to pay with a credit or debit card. So, they were able to determine how many iPads were previously purchased based on your ID. What happened to that idea?
People complained that it was unfair.

Remember the big media story about the old, disabled lady that Apple refused to sell an iPad to because she only had cash?

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/7_on_your_side&id=7451437

tdog4444

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2011
Those scalpers make me ashamed of being Asian :(

don't say that.... it's a capitalist society that we live in - they are playing by the rules, like it or not.... only a clown would get down on asians as a whole for this.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
People complained that it was unfair.

Remember the big media story about the old, disabled lady that Apple refused to sell an iPad to because she only had cash?

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/7_on_your_side&id=7451437

Yep, people complain that Apple is too restrictive and limiting on sales of the iPad 1. Then Apple doesn't have any restrictions on iPad 2 because of these complaints, and now people complain about scalpers.

Notice a trend here? People are stupid and don't realize until it's too late that some things are for their own good.

IbisDoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2010
I get it. People think the obvious answer is to get there early, but thats missing the point. This is a problem that could be solved with a little intervention from Apple. Sometimes you see the people who hand the line mules their envelope of cash so Apple is aware of the issue and they've established rules that worked in the past like "limit 1 per customer", "preorder online for pickup" or "credit cards only" so why not implement it when its obvious that there's a problem in getting this into peoples hands?

Nah, nothing Apple could have done to reduce this problem until official worldwide sales were active. It's just supply and demand. In fact, there are some links by fanboys on this board that will better explain the concept to you.

gwen1o

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
Were some people 'holding' places for their friends? I would have gone ballistic if this happened in front of me while in line!

I got here at 5:30am and was 9th in line till more of our Asian friends came so now I'm down to 12th...

And no thanks, I'm never gonna support that grey market.. I'm paying apple 499 for my 16 gig iPad and not 800 from those scumbags

wshields

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
The way to handle the line cutters is to take a photo of the line when you get there, from the front so you can identify faces. Then when the Apple people show up, show them the photo and say X, Y and Z cut in line.

Apple won't refuse to sell to people from what I hear but I have heard of them sending people to the back of the line for cutting.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I remember with the iPad 1, there was a limit to how many a customer could buy. At the Apple store they did not take cash, you had to pay with a credit or debit card. So, they were able to determine how many iPads were previously purchased based on your ID. What happened to that idea?
People were complaining about that system saying how unfair it was to require credit cards. So this is what you get.

I'm guessing that for the iPad3, the rule will be to order on-line and pick up at the designated store ... at least for the first 2 weeks.

Then of course we'll have folks complaining that they can't use their Best Buy rewards dollars because Apple won't let other retailers sell for 2 weeks.

ft

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Reselling for Profit

I can surely understand the anger and frustration for people still trying to buy an iPad2. And, sure, I believe that practice (buying and reselling at inflated pricing) is morally and ethically wrong.

But, sadly enough, if there was no market for gray/black market iPad2s, people most likely would stop buying them to resell at outrageous prices. I, personally, don't think Apple or any other business can restrict who they sell products to and might not even care as long as the product sells.

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
Yep, people complain that Apple is too restrictive and limiting on sales of the iPad 1. Then Apple doesn't have any restrictions on iPad 2 because of these complaints, and now people complain about scalpers.

Notice a trend here? People are stupid and don't realize until it's too late that some things are for their own good.
How is catering to the small number of cash wielding buyers rather than the Much larger group of people with good credit "for our own good"? If you are willing to wait 3hrs in line for the chance to get an iPad then I'm sure you can Be inconvenienced enough to get a cash loaded debit card.

And as for complaints about Apple restricing to one per customer, I guarantee you that the flocks of people who get turned away would accept going home with "only" one rather than with none.

This is a time of short supply, a crisis on the other end of the world is making some parts harder to get and in major markets then the same people are monopolizing the daily inventory for sale overseas. So a temporary restriction on quantity and payment options in order to block out resellers would benefit everyone and remind the customer that Apple actually does care about the "Experience" still.

All this defense of Apple is making people forget that Issues regarding the gray market, scalpers, resellers or exploited immigrants shouldnt be the problem of the big corporations, and NOT the Consumers.

chevman

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2010
This is just really frustrating that people who actually want/need an iPad can't get one because of these guys....

The guys in front of you don't want an iPad ?!?!?!!?

If anything, I would say they want one more than you do if they took the time to show up earlier, no?

splitzkreen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
Socal
The guys in front of you don't want an iPad ?!?!?!!?

If anything, I would say they want one more than you do if they took the time to show up earlier, no?

I guess that was poorly phrased. What I meant was people who want it for profit take all the day's stock and people who want one for personal use get nothing even though we show up early as well.

Apple is in a position to stop this. Just tell their employees not to sell it to the same 10 people in the front of the line day after day. And sell the iPads to it's intended market at it's intended price.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
I am suprised Apple has not put an end to this ... to some it would seem Apple is supporting this Black Market crap

The fact is these same people buying 2 everyday are selling both iPads overseas ... they are only lining up for the $100 per day they are being paid.

I feel for anyone just trying to get one for their own use.

Apple wake -up already

msavwah

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Oahu
The way to handle the line cutters is to take a photo of the line when you get there, from the front so you can identify faces. Then when the Apple people show up, show them the photo and say X, Y and Z cut in line.

Apple won't refuse to sell to people from what I hear but I have heard of them sending people to the back of the line for cutting.

That's pretty funny actually, you'd have to give up your spot to take that picture. You would have a picture of a line that you are not in. Wouldn't help your case much.

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
I guess that was poorly phrased. What I meant was people who want it for profit take all the day's stock and people who want one for personal use get nothing even though we show up early as well.

Apple is in a position to stop this. Just tell their employees not to sell it to the same 10 people in the front of the line day after day. And sell the iPads to it's intended market at it's intended price.

And do you know what will happen to Apple the very moment they refuse to sell to the same group of 10 or so asians who've been showing up every day for the past week buying up all their stock?

Multimillion dollar discrimination lawsuit. Apple has very deep pockets, and every ambulance-chaser knows that. So do the scalpers, who really don't care where their profits come from.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.