Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Ticket scalping is illegal

It is easy to enforce because the event is centralized

You could do the same with ipads. While you could enforce it in ways such as ebay has done, it can also be easily enforced by merely looking where the ads are placed and following up on them. This is unlike the drug trade as most of those who are in the market for an ipad will look to legitimate outlets to buy from (stores, ebay, CL, etc). Because of this, it is much easier to enforce these avenues

Granted, there will be some dealings of "I know a guy" etc but the drug crowd is much more different than those looking to simply buy an ipad

However, I am not really against what is going on. There is nothing illegal about buying and reselling and in a few months or so, it will be a moot point anyway as there will be plenty to go around

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
There is one thing that I don't tolerate is a line cutter. Those cutting in line would have to be dealt with.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I can't believe you actually went on to write that... sarcasm indeed!

lol, at least it wasn't a novel like some posts on forums can be

There is one thing that I don't tolerate is a line cutter. Those cutting in line would have to be dealt with.

And not just limited to ipads. I hate when it happens for events, bars, food joints, everywhere.

Usually I let it slide as if I raise a ruckus, which I have done...., I was asked to leave which defeated the whole point of being in line and let's face it, you can't really prove people cut without getting a consensus from those around you lol and most don't care that much either

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
lol, at least it wasn't a novel like some posts on forums can be

And not just limited to ipads. I hate when it happens for events, bars, food joints, everywhere.

Usually I let it slide as if I raise a ruckus, which I have done...., I was asked to leave which defeated the whole point of being in line and let's face it, you can't really prove people cut without getting a consensus from those around you lol and most don't care that much either

Easy solution, cut in front of the line cutter yourself. Since it's ok to cut in line then it's a free for all.

black743

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2010
Huntington, WV
It would be funny if Apple cut a deal with Craig's List and Ebay to remove all new in box iPads from their site. That would cut into their profits, as they would at the very least have to sell them as opened/used.

BTW, our local BB had some in stock yesterday. They seem to sit there all day long, then about an hour before closing disappear.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
well most line cutters I come cross know people already in line and go say "hey whats up" to just never leaving and staying in line

So step in front of them and say " hey what's up, I'll just stay here until you leave"

rawlus

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2009
Boston
If the employees in line are working for the same entity, one might argue that they are engaging in market manipulation activities that do violate some point of law... Perhaps it might be related to a wholesaler buying from retail, or perhaps it is just monopolizing a market and making it un-free because the average person has no reasonable expectation of having their turn when a sole individual buys up the entire inventory every day, however early you get up, they will ge up earlier.

Imagine if this was medication for a major crisis, and some foreign investor was purchasing the entire available public quantity before the public could gain access.

Maybe it would just be heating oil in the middle of winter, as soon as the oil company got each days shipment, there were trucks lined up to purchase the entire shipment. No heat for you..

Just get up earlier.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
How about going to Topanga or Northridge. A little farther but they are also bigger malls. Well Topanga is.

At least as of a couple days ago, they were lining up at 6:00am outside the mall entrance (if it's like previous launches, it's the door from the parking structure on the same floor as the Apple Store - East side)

Based on previous launches, Northridge seems to get more stock, but it varies.

I don't have any info on Northridge stock, but I hear Topanga got some in for Friday morning. What that meant over the weekend, I don't know (but will try and find out because I'm curious).

I remember with the iPad 1, there was a limit to how many a customer could buy. At the Apple store they did not take cash, you had to pay with a credit or debit card. So, they were able to determine how many iPads were previously purchased based on your ID. What happened to that idea?

It was for the iPhones, and my understanding is it didn't help anything. Maybe the mules used pre-paid CCs, not sure. I asked the same question (after standing in line at an Apple Store Tue. and Wed. - 7:00am that day, though I did get one). The reply was: it simply didnt help. The only thing they did carry over is the 2 per limit.

Last edited:

ALUOp

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2008
This is the nth thread about this.
If you don't like reselling, you should move to North Korea, where they may hand out exactly one iPad per person.
Nobody gets any priority or anything, no matter if they are Asian, European, Australian, or American. If you didn't get your iPad because you didn't arrive early enough then it's your problem.

Also, don't hate the players. Hate the one who decides how the game is to be played, which, in this case, is Apple.
Apple is obviously aware of the problem and has full control on how to fix it. However, it just elected not to do anything.
Don't tell me they are unable to fix the problem, which is nothing new.
Look at how the luxury shops in Europe register customers' name and ID in order to block resellers.

Why is Apple not doing anything at all? Oh actually they did do something; they moved the sale of iPad 2 one hour early. That means resellers are lining up even earlier, which makes it even harder for personal-use buyers to get one. Why is Apple not fixing the problem? Guess what. Apple has been the company that cares least about how long their customers have to wait in line for their products. And also all these iPads that are going to the rest of the world won't have any warranty cost at all.

EdwardMoffet

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2011
As a business man my self I fully understand the laws of supply and demand and all-to-well know about free market enterprise. Having said that, there is still something very much wrong with this.

One of the most important things any business can have either working for or against it is public perception. In this case, it is not making for a very pleasant buying experience for the customer, some of which may be new to Apple......something for them to think about.

Exactly

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2010
This is the nth thread about this.
If you don't like reselling, you should move to North Korea, where they may hand out exactly one iPad per person.
Nobody gets any priority or anything, no matter if they are Asian, European, Australian, or American. If you didn't get your iPad because you didn't arrive early enough then it's your problem.

Also, don't hate the players. Hate the one who decides how the game is to be played, which, in this case, is Apple.
Apple is obviously aware of the problem and has full control on how to fix it. However, it just elected not to do anything.
Don't tell me they are unable to fix the problem, which is nothing new.
Look at how the luxury shops in Europe register customers' name and ID in order to block resellers.

Why is Apple not doing anything at all? Oh actually they did do something; they moved the sale of iPad 2 one hour early. That means resellers are lining up even earlier, which makes it even harder for personal-use buyers to get one. Why is Apple not fixing the problem? Guess what. Apple has been the company that cares least about how long their customers have to wait in line for their products. And also all these iPads that are going to the rest of the world won't have any warranty cost at all.

Well said... Too many cry babys here working their mouths and not engaging the brain first!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.