Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Do you have a link to what you use or the name?

Search item B0999RRMK6 on amazon. I don't use the lanyard lol or the belt loop thing. I replace it a few times a year, not because it wears out, but I figure it gets kinda nasty. I used to wash em.

Reactions: Duncan68

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I rock my 14 Pro without a case and have AC+ on it. I have dropped it once and shattered the back glass completely. $99 later, I got a new refurbished 14 Pro and sent my damaged one back. Looking at the frame of the phone, I do see some scratches on the SS edges, but that doesn’t bother as it‘s not impacting the screen.

If I do get the 15 Pro, I would also rock it naked.
I thought back glass was $29, and why wouldn’t they just replace it on your device instead of giving you a refurbished one?

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
The natural titanium frame looks amazing and would be a shame to hide it in a case.
I honestly don't see the point in ordering Natural Titanium if you're going to put it in a case, unless it's a clear one.

I use Titanium shaving razors and the look of brushed and mirror polished Titanium is liquid and lustrous.
The screensaver and website animations on 15 Pro seem to represent some sort of powdered coating (a guess) and perhaps that is representative of PVD....the coating is used in high end watches to protect against scratches anyway.
So use of a case may be moot for IP15 Pro.

"One of the remarkable advantages of PVD coating in luxury watches is its exceptional scratch resistance. The hard layers created through this process act as a barrier, safeguarding the underlying metal from everyday wear and tear."

Apparently, PVD coatings can also wear off, depending on the expertise of the facility that does it...which means
natural Ti seems to be the most prudent choice (for me).

I dont know whether PVD affects the lustre and sheen of uncoated Ti...we shall see...but for now, I will use without
case. Screen protector, a big YES!

Last edited:
Reactions: sviato

dljeffery

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
Issaquah, WA
I've used glass screen protectors and various cases for a while on one of my past iPhones (back in the 6 Plus days). Really didn't like using the phone with either one on it.

I switched to using sleeves and am much happier. The sleeves provide great scratch/drop protection while the phone is sleeved without affecting the size/weight/feel/look while the phone is in use. Of course, it's true that you could drop the phone while using it, and have zero protection. And I have done that a few times (haven't we all?), but thankfully with no damage other than a tiny scratch or ding on the frame. I've actually found that when I do happen to drop my phone, though, it's most often when I'm just carrying it around, not while I'm actively using it.

My sleeve of choice is pack&smooch. They make great products at reasonable prices. I also have a pack&smooch MacBook Air sleeve that I bought in 2013 for my mid-2013 13" Air. Still using it for my M1 Air, and after a bit over 10 years of use, the sleeve still looks brand new. Definitely a fan of their stuff!

Reactions: pjazzy

MiamiBeach

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020
I use Titanium shaving razors and the look of brushed and mirror polished Titanium is liquid and lustrous.
The screensaver and website animations on 15 Pro seem to represent some sort of powdered coating (a guess) and perhaps that is representative of PVD....the coating is used in high end watches to protect against scratches anyway.
So use of a case may be moot for IP15 Pro.

"One of the remarkable advantages of PVD coating in luxury watches is its exceptional scratch resistance. The hard layers created through this process act as a barrier, safeguarding the underlying metal from everyday wear and tear."

Apparently, PVD coatings can also wear off, depending on the expertise of the facility that does it...which means
natural Ti seems to be the most prudent choice (for me).

I dont know whether PVD affects the lustre and sheen of uncoated Ti...we shall see...but for now, I will use without
case. Screen protector, a big YES!
Interesting read re: PVD coating, thanks for sharing this information.

And I forgot to mention, yes, I will absolutely be using a screen protector with my 15 Pro regardless.

Reactions: bigjnyc

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I've noticed that every single review I've read or watched of the 15 series phones have commented on how beautiful the phones look and how amazing they feel in the hand, followed by the inevitable comment that the moment you put a case on it you're losing all of that wonderful design. I did order a case but I think I will try the phone without the case to start and see how I feel. I will be getting AppleCare on it.

Rangers94

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
Naked iPhone 15 Pro for me. I wanna feel the lightness and beautiful rounded edges. I have the Verizon Mobile Protect plan which covers loss, theft, damage etc. Why would I use a case?

• Angry
Reactions: dominiongamma

PhoenixFireless

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2016
naked + apple care plus is the way to go

I'll be adding a magsafe pop socket and a privacy screen protector for comfort/grip in holding and some added privacy

Reactions: pjazzy

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
This will be my 15PM:

a8f929a3-4c54-400b-a25e-29766a8f04b0_text.gif

theonekcrow

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Indiana
With the light design of the titanium frame along with the subtle curves, I am going to go case-less with AppleCare+. It seems like it is going to be a dream to hold in my hand.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
That’s true. I don’t think you can drop your naked phone onto the ground without causing at least some superficial damage.

I'm unsure why people without cases drop their phones. I've damaged exactly two of my iPhones over the years, and in neither situation would a case have helped. I think I don't drop my phone because I don't use a case (i.e., I'm much more conscious about it).

I totally understand people that use cases, trust me. But for me, no case, ever.

srikat

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
As a normal sane middle-aged person whose job is not baby-site phones and is not a tech YouTuber, I promptly put my expensive iPhone in a case and stick a screen protector.

cyberone

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2005
Guess I'll get a silicon case for venturing out but mostly naked. Never used screen protectors – but remember in which pocket your keys are!

Reactions: Expos of 1969

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
L
I'm unsure why people without cases drop their phones. I've damaged exactly two of my iPhones over the years, and in neither situation would a case have helped. I think I don't drop my phone because I don't use a case (i.e., I'm much more conscious about it).

I totally understand people that use cases, trust me. But for me, no case, ever.
They drop their phones by accident as accidents can happen. I have dropped my iPhone 13 onto concrete from waist height and, because it’s in a case, the phone sustained zero damage. That’s fine if you don’t use a case but you are taking on a lot more risk that I would rather live without.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I thought back glass was $29, and why wouldn’t they just replace it on your device instead of giving you a refurbished one?
It’s a couple hundred dollars. Maybe with this version for which they claim the back glass is more easily replaceable the cost will hopefully be lower.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
They drop their phones by accident as accidents can happen. I have dropped my iPhone 13 onto concrete from waist height and, because it’s in a case, the phone sustained zero damage. That’s fine if you don’t use a case but you are taking on a lot more risk that I would rather live without.

That's totally fair.

I have this hypothesis that the very act of having a case makes people more prone to dropping them because there's a part of their brain that considers the phone protected in a sense. Whereas those of us without cases are probably more likely to be much more mindful of the device given that letting go of it several feet above the ground would be a sad moment.

Some people really enjoy the look/feel of their premium device and are willing to take on the additional responsibility of keeping it safe in order to go without a case, while others really just don't want to worry about it and use a case to afford them that freedom. Both are perfectly valid. 🤓

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
If it’s a work phone and your employer owns it then go naked. If you own it then protect it with a case and screen protector.

• Haha
Reactions: Carlsberg69

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Ah with AppleCare, I was quoting without which is what I was charged a few years ago
I originally responded to a user that said they had AC+, and was asking why they were charged $99. I’m guessing they had more than just back glass damage. Either way, AC+ seems to be a good safe bet if going naked (though I will still use a screen protector).

Carlsberg69

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2023
That's totally fair.

I have this hypothesis that the very act of having a case makes people more prone to dropping them because there's a part of their brain that considers the phone protected in a sense. Whereas those of us without cases are probably more likely to be much more mindful of the device given that letting go of it several feet above the ground would be a sad moment.

Some people really enjoy the look/feel of their premium device and are willing to take on the additional responsibility of keeping it safe in order to go without a case, while others really just don't want to worry about it and use a case to afford them that freedom. Both are perfectly valid. 🤓
Might be some validity in this. I have sometimes studied both kinds more in detail, the ones with and the ones without, and come to the interesting observation that they act differently with their phones in general. It’s like you can easily tell which ones that have cases and which don’t most of the time. Roughly speaking, the ones with cases seam to just be more casual and “careless” and the ones without are more mindful and appreciative of the way they hold and handle the phone. It’s like they actually are holding a precious thing, often two handed, and clinging on to it as it’s an important object. I’m usually right when guessing just by looking how they behave with their phone. Funny that. I do go caseless but with screen protector most of the time, but will use case when doing more risky activities, since the 3GS until the current 14PM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.