So, it has not 3G.... But can it tether?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by Internaut, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Internaut macrumors 6502a

Just wondering if Apple's new baby can tether an internet connection from a 3G phone..... That would make it more useful IMO.

2. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I concur, it needs tethering, but I don't think it will. At least not with AT&T.

3. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

I didn't expect it to have 3G but I am expecting tethering. It doesn't make sense to have users subscribe to 3G data especially for existing iPhone users. I know I won't.

EDIT: ok i take that back..it does have 3G.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It will have 3G

$14.99 for 250MB?

and $29 for unlimited? DAM

AT&T!!! AT&T!!! Go for it!!

5. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

$0.00 for 250MB and $14.99 for unlimited would have been better.

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

This is why you don't post things about something that isn't over yet.

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

So wait, you can get $29 unlimited for an iPad but it's $30 for unlimited for an iPhone? If there's not some change by AT&T, look for a lot of pissed off iPhone owners.

8. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

So AT&T renewed their exclusivity? Hilarious for all of those waiting for this thing to be on Verizon and Sprint. It sounds like they did, at least, unless their deal doesn't run out until June.

9. Internaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Very true. If I was that scared of being wrong about something, I wouldn't but, quite frankly, I couldn't care less.

10. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

The iPad is unlocked, does that mean we can use it with any carrier? Or will we be stuck with AT&T for another $30/month?

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You can supposedly use it with any carrier, but apparently it has a different type of SIM so in practice you probably can't.

12. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

I think he said any carrier that supports GSM micro sim.

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

That mean if T-Mobile is up to it, they can offer it. Oh by the way, T-Mobile's airwaves are EMPTY... which should prove useful to unload stress on AT&T.

14. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

It has a micro GSM chip, so maybe it will work with T-Mobile, I don't know, but definitely not with Verizon. Maybe AT&T renewed their deal, or Apple has no interest in making anything with CDMA compatibility. If it ships in 2-3 months, there's no way they'll turn around and make a Verizon one. I think that dream needs to die. It ain't happening.

15. rweakins macrumors 6502

rweakins

can someone clarify the difference between the wifi model and the wifi+3g model? is the only difference the speed of the connection?

16. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

WiFi only connects to open Wireless networks. 3G uses the cell phone network if there is no WiFi available. WiFi is faster (typically) then 3G but 3G has more reliable coverage.

17. Internaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

All models will have WiFi, some will have 3G which gives you a (usually) slower option when not near an appropriate WiFi hotspot.

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's $29.99, which means you're arguing over a whole freakin' penny :rolleyes:

Maybe if you all argue enough, AT&T will lower the iPhone data plan to $29.98 so you can feel like you're getting a deal.

19. rweakins macrumors 6502

rweakins

and you would have to pay for a data plan with the wifi model? or only the 3g?

20. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I think what he is saying is that iPhone users who want this will have to pay ANOTHER $30 per month, that's a bit much if you ask me. That's why I would love AT&T to say to iPhone users, you get 250MB for free, $14.99 or $19.99 if you want unlimited. Even better would be to redo the iPhone data plan to these values and allow for tethering; that way you can use it on the same data plan.

21. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

There are no additional charges for Wi-Fi. It's the same as AirPort in a Mac.

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

They're getting a special deal as it is. Standalone data plans for laptop cards are normally $60 a month and require a two year contract, even if you already have a smartphone. The only people who should be pissed are those paying $60 in a 2 year contract for unlimited cellular data on their laptops.

23. dagored macrumors 65816

Only 3G. Wifi free where you can get it.

24. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

The question begs to be asked: does the device even support T-Mobile's 3G bands? And if not, is it safe to assume Apple resigned with AT&T or does the agreement not end till 2012 as once rumored?

25. Internaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

If you're just using it at home or anywhere where the WiFi is free, then no charge for WiFi beyond the cost of your home internet connection (I never bothered to check when I was working in the US - do places like Starbucks and McDonalds do free WiFi there)?

There are paid for Hotspots like Boingo and T-Mobile and these offer options from pay per use to monthly subscriptions.