So, it has not 3G.... But can it tether?

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
Just wondering if Apple's new baby can tether an internet connection from a 3G phone..... That would make it more useful IMO.
I didn't expect it to have 3G but I am expecting tethering. It doesn't make sense to have users subscribe to 3G data especially for existing iPhone users. I know I won't.

EDIT: ok i take that back..it does have 3G.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
It will have 3G

$14.99 for 250MB?

and $29 for unlimited? DAM

AT&T!!! AT&T!!! Go for it!!
So wait, you can get $29 unlimited for an iPad but it's $30 for unlimited for an iPhone? If there's not some change by AT&T, look for a lot of pissed off iPhone owners.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
So AT&T renewed their exclusivity? Hilarious for all of those waiting for this thing to be on Verizon and Sprint. It sounds like they did, at least, unless their deal doesn't run out until June.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
SoCal
So AT&T renewed their exclusivity? Hilarious for all of those waiting for this thing to be on Verizon and Sprint. It sounds like they did, at least, unless their deal doesn't run out until June.
The iPad is unlocked, does that mean we can use it with any carrier? Or will we be stuck with AT&T for another $30/month?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
You can supposedly use it with any carrier, but apparently it has a different type of SIM so in practice you probably can't.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
It has a micro GSM chip, so maybe it will work with T-Mobile, I don't know, but definitely not with Verizon. Maybe AT&T renewed their deal, or Apple has no interest in making anything with CDMA compatibility. If it ships in 2-3 months, there's no way they'll turn around and make a Verizon one. I think that dream needs to die. It ain't happening.

rweakins

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
can someone clarify the difference between the wifi model and the wifi+3g model? is the only difference the speed of the connection?

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
SoCal
can someone clarify the difference between the wifi model and the wifi+3g model? is the only difference the speed of the connection?
WiFi only connects to open Wireless networks. 3G uses the cell phone network if there is no WiFi available. WiFi is faster (typically) then 3G but 3G has more reliable coverage.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
So wait, you can get $29 unlimited for an iPad but it's $30 for unlimited for an iPhone? If there's not some change by AT&T, look for a lot of pissed off iPhone owners.
It's $29.99, which means you're arguing over a whole freakin' penny :rolleyes:

Maybe if you all argue enough, AT&T will lower the iPhone data plan to $29.98 so you can feel like you're getting a deal.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
SoCal
It's $29.99, which means you're arguing over a whole freakin' penny :rolleyes:

Maybe if you all argue enough, AT&T will lower the iPhone data plan to $29.98 so you can feel like you're getting a deal.
I think what he is saying is that iPhone users who want this will have to pay ANOTHER $30 per month, that's a bit much if you ask me. That's why I would love AT&T to say to iPhone users, you get 250MB for free, $14.99 or $19.99 if you want unlimited. Even better would be to redo the iPhone data plan to these values and allow for tethering; that way you can use it on the same data plan.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I think what he is saying is that iPhone users who want this will have to pay ANOTHER $30 per month, that's a bit much if you ask me. That's why I would love AT&T to say to iPhone users, you get 250MB for free, $14.99 or $19.99 if you want unlimited. Even better would be to redo the iPhone data plan to these values and allow for tethering; that way you can use it on the same data plan.
They're getting a special deal as it is. Standalone data plans for laptop cards are normally $60 a month and require a two year contract, even if you already have a smartphone. The only people who should be pissed are those paying $60 in a 2 year contract for unlimited cellular data on their laptops.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
The question begs to be asked: does the device even support T-Mobile's 3G bands? And if not, is it safe to assume Apple resigned with AT&T or does the agreement not end till 2012 as once rumored?

Internaut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
and you would have to pay for a data plan with the wifi model? or only the 3g?
If you're just using it at home or anywhere where the WiFi is free, then no charge for WiFi beyond the cost of your home internet connection (I never bothered to check when I was working in the US - do places like Starbucks and McDonalds do free WiFi there)?

There are paid for Hotspots like Boingo and T-Mobile and these offer options from pay per use to monthly subscriptions.