So many problems with Retina MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nikhilr51, Aug 12, 2012.

1. nikhilr51, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012

nikhilr51 macrumors member

Hey everyone (wow i haven't used this account since 2008 :eek:),

I've had a retina macbook pro since mid June and honestly my $800 Dell laptop had less problems than this $3000 piece of shiny tech.
    Here's a list of some of the problems that occurred over the past few days (some are not that major I know, but still).
    I've posted some of these problems individually here and on other forums but have received no helpful responses.

Some gestures stop working (Moderately frequent, Requires restart)
    Crashes frequently (hasn't happened for a while though, chrome wasn't the problem)
    Resuming from sleep takes a very log time or completly fails with a black screen (VERY frequent, have to hold down power button to turn it off)
    Very laggy gestures when using intel graphics (I just assumed it was common for osx to be laggy but I used an in-store previous get MBP and it was MUCH smoother)
    Apps staying in mission control after being closed, black screen when swiped to (odd, only happened once, required a restart)
    Apps not appearing in dock when opened, still run fine though (Happened once or twice, Required restart)
    Cmd-tab only showing safari, no finder or anything else. (Happened once or twice, Required restart to fix)
    Running apps not having light below icon in dock, and for apps that DO show the light, it remains on after quitting till I click the icon. (Happened a couple of times, restart fixed it)
    All dock icons disappear, empty dock remains (Happens quite often, restart fixed it)
    Aperture keeps bouncing, doesn't open (Restart computer and it works again, has happened a few times)
    Doesn't go to sleep when lid closed (Only once or twice)

I've owned three pcs before this and the only reason i swapped to mac was for their superior build quality, which as always is excellent, but besides that i'm disappointed. I remember when i had a powerbook g4 AGES ago, everything just worked, the only problem i had was the Bluetooth module died (fair enough after 5 years).

I have tried resetting the NVRAM and SMC however nothing seems to have helped. Mountian lion fixed safari which was horribly slow, but nothing else.

Sorry if it sounds like im having a rage at apple (just raging at mine) but i didn't expect this from a $3,000 laptop, that too and apple one.

Thanks in advance if anybody can help me,
    Kind regards,
    Nikhil

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Have you called apple, and/or brought it to the apple store to address those problems? I'd venture and say its defective but only apple can make that final assessment.

3. noteple macrumors 65816

Sounds like memory or something routinely getting corrupted.
    Anything being kicked out to the console?

4. nikhilr51, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012

nikhilr51 thread starter macrumors member

Oh wow, quite a lot of Dock errors: http://imgur.com/0KvyS
    (killall Dock doesnt help)

Also just got a safari one that sounds ominous:

Not yet, there is an apple store near me but I'd prefer to use that as a last resort :) Always like trying to figure it out myself (then again i usually cause the problem :p Although for once i don't think its my fault!)

5. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

Please do a clean restore, it will do your Mac good!

But seriously though, these are all mostly software issues and not hardware issues. Try a clean install first and see what happens.

6. nikhilr51 thread starter macrumors member

Ahhhh great.
    OS X has become windows.

Time to go google how exactly to clean restore a mac!

(funnily enough my windows bootcamp partition has been running flawlessly)

7. leman macrumors 604

It seems like either you have a hardware problem or your install has been botched somehow... I'd do a clean install.

8. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

Just hold down Option/Alt on your keyboard while booting up just take it from there. :)

9. EthosX macrumors regular

@nikhilr51
    Hi
    Install windows 7 or 8 and u will be fine :)

10. nikhilr51 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah i've got windows 7 on a bootcamp partition for gaming, runs great.
    Fans actually cool the computer unluke osx staying at 2000rpm while the cpu is at 130 degrees C :)

But i do miss the gestures!

11. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

All the tinkering in the world won't help if it is defective--June was two months ago--if you are still having problems I'd take that trip to the Apple Store.

12. nikhilr51 thread starter macrumors member

Looks like that might end up happening!
    I'll clean install ML tomorrow, if its still being a :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: then ill have to take it in!
    I'll be sure to report back whatever the outcome is!

13. EthosX macrumors regular

130 C ??? jesus
    check if u dont have BBQ lines underneath laptop :D

14. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Post #10 and you finally reveal what OS you're using. Amazingly, nobody asked either. Instead you're told to take your mac in. :D

Do you think, perchance (just a hunch mind you) that a dot-zero release of ML is the culprit here? How was your machine running under Lion?

15. nikhilr51 thread starter macrumors member

The list was longer on lion. :(

16. tninety macrumors regular

Flip it over and cook eggs on it :D

17. EthosX macrumors regular

All rather bacon :)

18. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

There is clearly something very wrong with your particular machine. Without spending hours looking through logs and running various tests, I would just return it to Apple and get them to fix it or replace it.

19. playsontheleft macrumors regular

Sounds like you've got one seriously defective machine. Fans not spinning up to cool the machine at 130ºC? Really? That's probably not even safe. You've got a years' warranty on it even without AppleCare so get Apple to have a look at it.

Please tell us how your clean install goes, though!

20. nikhilr51 thread starter macrumors member

Ok that was a bit of an exaggeration. The fans spin up to 4500rpm isn and the temperature stays at around 110 during gaming ect.

I was just pointing out that on bootcamp the fans go up to 6000rpm and keeps the temps in the 90s.

CLEAN INSTALL IS DONE!

Haven't had a chance to really use it much yet but gestures are much better now when using intel graphics.
    There is still some lag though, but much less. I'll report back in a day or two with any failures/successes.

21. jbolden1517 macrumors newbie

You are having problems that no one is having with the rMBP. You started this thread by asserting that the hardware was of generally terrible quality. You've been getting good advice to have Apple do a hardware diagnostic, because you want to make that a last resort. Well if doing the obvious diagnostic is a last resort, what do you think comes earlier?

You should cut the constant attacks on Apple, so far they aren't the problem.

22. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Even 110 is too hot. Intel's T-Junction (the temperature at which the silicon starts to fail) is usually between 90 and 100. So staying at 110 for extended periods may have caused irreversible damage.

23. nikhilr51 thread starter macrumors member

I didn't know that initially, also this thread will hopefully serve to help people who are also having troubles like me (there very well could be others).

I never said the hardware, but the experience as a whole was disappointing.

As 9/10 people above you have said, doing a clean install of OSX comes earlier.

I'm not attacking apple (ok maybe a little bit :), but how would you feel if you bought a lamborghini and it performed like a datsun?

So after taking it to the mechanic (the helpful people here on macrumors) i'm trying to get it back to the lamborghini I purchased.

:)

----------

This worried me initially (as my previous windows laptops shut off if it hit 100 degrees) but i've seen many videos on youtube of temperatures exceeding 100 degrees (and i did see a 130 on youtube), also my friends who own macs say their laptops go above 100 when gaming all the time.

Fortunately i do most of my gaming on the windows bootcamp partition so it shouldn't really be that much of a problem. I hope :eek:

24. nikhilr51 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, i'm still having problems, have an appointment at the genius bar tomorrow :/

25. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Tell them you need it for work and cannot live without it. One thing is for sure: Apple's customer care sh**s all over PC customer care.