Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nikhilr51

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
Perth, Western Australia
Also, if you paid $3200 for it, why did you got thru a reseller???? I'm guessing you got everything maxed and saved a couple hundred dollars....but at a cost.

I got the top model with 8gb/512gb/2.6ghz for $3000. I was just saying that its a $3200 machine. I actually could have saved an extra $50 by going to the apple store, but stock was really tight.

Yep, problems are odd. Angry at apple. Been going on for a month. Seriously pissing me off.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
I feel your pain. Whilst I've had a fair few software issues with ML (mainly locking up after sleep, requiring hard reset, every ***** time!), the quality of the rMBPs so far has just been abysmal.

I don't know why the US Apple support seems to be so poor though. Over here in the UK, Apple replaced my eBay bought iPhone 4S, hardly an authorised reseller. I've also had 6 replacement iPad 3rd gens over 2 separate orders, and 5 replacement rMBPs (currently on my 2nd MBP of my 2nd order), which will be going back for my 6th replacement.

Basically, Tim Cook is the worst thing that can happen to any company.

I'm literally dreading the arrival of my iPhone 5 on Friday. Should my next rMBP also have a terrible screen or broken hinge, or dead pixels, any of that crap, I'll be returning it for good and either building a ridiculous PC or going for an MSI GT70 Notebook.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I don't know why the US Apple support seems to be so poor though.

If you are referring to the OP's issues, his location says Australia... All my encounters with Apple support in the US have been nothing but positive.

nikhilr51

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
Perth, Western Australia
If you are referring to the OP's issues, his location says Australia... All my encounters with Apple support in the US have been nothing but positive.

Yeah i'm in Australia dealing with Apple Asia-Pacific based in Singapore :/

I'm literally dreading the arrival of my iPhone 5 on Friday.

I'm upgrading my iPhone 4 to a Lumia 920 when it comes out :D

tomtom2234

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2010
New Orleans
Sounds like you have a defective unit! Give Apple a call and set up an appoint at your local genius bar or ask for them to send you a box and mail it in. They should either fix it or send you a new one if they can't. Really shouldn't be having any of the problems you are having. I haven't noticed any problems with my own so far (Have had since launch)

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah i'm in Australia dealing with Apple Asia-Pacific based in Singapore :/

I'm upgrading my iPhone 4 to a Lumia 920 when it comes out :D

Oh right, sorry. I just saw the dollar sign and assumed it was US :D

I've considered a lumia for a while back when they launched the WP7 models, but the thought of having to use Microsoft's intrusive software makes me cringe.

nikhilr51

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
Perth, Western Australia
Sounds like you have a defective unit! Give Apple a call and set up an appoint at your local genius bar or ask for them to send you a box and mail it in. They should either fix it or send you a new one if they can't. Really shouldn't be having any of the problems you are having. I haven't noticed any problems with my own so far (Have had since launch)

I did set up genius bar appointment, they sent me back to my retailer.
Called up apple, also shoved me off back to my retailer (several times)
Been a month now.
Finally decided to replace it, but i have to go give it back to the retailer again.

kgs

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
For what it's worth, I have had my rMBP (2.6ghz/512gb/16gb) for about 36 hours now and it has been solid. I had a couple of minor glitches with Safari while typing and also in Messages. But so far have seen none of these on the 10.8.2 update that came out today.

I'm quite happy with it.

I realize some people are frustrated and they have a bad unit. But I do want to caution users that read this that it isn't an issue for everyone. Those that have issues tend to speak more loudly than those that are having a great time with things. So, take the complaints with a grain of salt if you're looking to buy one.

iDutchman

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2010
Amsterdam, NL
It's really bad to hear that buddy. But then again indeed, it's not for everyone.

I have a (Early August) 2.6/8/512GB model as well and no issues on the first try. Samsung SSD and screen and no issues at all.

So, yeah. Bad experiences are not for everyone. But people who are satisfied are less likely to publish that on a forum than people who feel let down and want to share their dissatisfaction.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I got the top model with 8gb/512gb/2.6ghz for $3000. I was just saying that its a $3200 machine. I actually could have saved an extra $50 by going to the apple store, but stock was really tight.

Yep, problems are odd. Angry at apple. Been going on for a month. Seriously pissing me off.

Thats not the top model! Was that $3000 with apple care? If not, you got ripped off.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Thats not the top model! Was that $3000 with apple care? If not, you got ripped off.

Keep in mind he's in Australia. I just priced out that same spec and it was $3199 (w/o apple care or any student discount if there is one).

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
man, australlia really sucks for electronics and entertainment! Why is everything more expensive there?

3200 AUD = 3320.88003 USD

The main culprits for the price difference are increased shipping costs, any tariffs that are added, and GST (which is 10% of the purchase price)

TheRdungeon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2011
FINALLY.
A new laptop is on its way from sydney!
Once i get it then they'll tell me how to send back my current one (they better pay for the shipping!!!)

Yeah would've thought they would have done this earlier, did the same thing with my iphone 4 last year (they sent me the phone then i sent mine back)

maclab

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2009
FINALLY.
A new laptop is on its way from sydney!
Once i get it then they'll tell me how to send back my current one (they better pay for the shipping!!!)

Hi,

I am very curious about your situation and how Apple rejected you to sort out the issue, which reseller did you buy from?

How is it possible that Apple sent you away? makes no sense at all

regards

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
Apple's customer support in Australia blows. I had very similar experiences when I bought my MBP last year. Mine had issue after issue and they refused to do anything about it as I'd bought it through Dick Smith. It took about a month of going to different Apple stores for one decent genius who acknowledged the problem and organised a replacement for me.

nikhilr51

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
Perth, Western Australia
Got new laptop.
Still laggy (maybe slightly better, or it could all just be in my head)
Installing windows and hoping apple fixes this in the future as i'm sure it's a software issue.

/end

maclab

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2009
Got new laptop.
Still laggy (maybe slightly better, or it could all just be in my head)
Installing windows and hoping apple fixes this in the future as i'm sure it's a software issue.

/end

Well I can only assume that since you keep sidestepping the question about where you actually got your rMBP and why Apple actually rejecting you is that you got it from Kogan or some other non authorised reseller.

I am in Australia and I got mine from JB, so I am very curios about your situation, if you could clarify that would be great. I have spoken to both JB and an Apple store manager and both of them said that your case story seems to be missing a major piece of information, Apple would not turn you away if it was from an Authorised reseller in Australia.

nikhilr51

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
Perth, Western Australia
Well I can only assume that since you keep sidestepping the question about where you actually got your rMBP and why Apple actually rejecting you is that you got it from Kogan or some other non authorised reseller.

They are a small Authorised reseller and authorised service centre so I dont want to point the blame at them.

Not withholding any information. However I have discovered that safari seems to be causing most of the lag. Stopped using safari, computer is working fine now :D
However the original computer had other problems that havent showed up at all in the new one.

TNT collected the old one today.

Took ages but the issue did get resolved.

Apple would not turn you away if it was from an Authorised reseller in Australia.

Only the apple store turned me away (after an hour and a half doing diagnostics)
Singaporean people on the phone with customer relations are annoying as hell but after making me replace the logic board twice they finally decided to give me a new one which is what they should have done from the start (replacing the logic board once would have been acceptable)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.