Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Whats the normal procedure for problems like this?
Do I get a new laptop? Do i have to bring anything?

Thanks.

My friend has the 1GB, 2.2GHz version of this Mac. It kept crashing while playing Battlefield: Bad Company 2, so he brought it in. He insisted that, even though the problem was not duplicable in store. They gave him a brand new MBP, but we later found out that that all units of that model of Mac don't like BC2.

If you're polite and persistent, you should get a new computer soon.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Sounds like a software problem to me. Try reinstalling OSX as a clean install or just wait for 10.8.1

nikhilr51

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
Perth, Western Australia
Update!

Went to the apple store today. Legit had 6 or 7 different guys look at my laptop for over an hour, ran ALL kinds of diagnostics (tests said hardware was fine, which it clearly wasn't). So as someone said before they finally diagnosed it as a ram issue! They wouldnt give me a new laptop because i bought it through a reseller, so i went to the reseller who said it would take about 4 days to get fixed (but would be better to do it on monday so i get it faster).
So i'm waiting till monday to go in again....

UGH.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
Update!

Went to the apple store today. Legit had 6 or 7 different guys look at my laptop for over an hour, ran ALL kinds of diagnostics (tests said hardware was fine, which it clearly wasn't). So as someone said before they finally diagnosed it as a ram issue! They wouldnt give me a new laptop because i bought it through a reseller, so i went to the reseller who said it would take about 4 days to get fixed (but would be better to do it on monday so i get it faster).
So i'm waiting till monday to go in again....

UGH.

That odd. I though that it didn't matter where you bought it, as long as you have applecare/warranty Apple will sort it out? Or is this exclusivley for Applecare only? So they aren't giving you a new one? I'd strongly suggest you get a replacement, no fixes... Although I'm not sure about the law in Australlia... In the UK, the most common way to get a replacement (at least from Apple) is that if it breaks within 6 months of purchase, it had a manfucaturing default from the start and Apple would have to prove otherwise.

nikhilr51

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
Perth, Western Australia
That odd. I though that it didn't matter where you bought it

Thats what i thought too. Guess not.

So they aren't giving you a new one? I'd strongly suggest you get a replacement, no fixes...

Nope, apple ain't giving me a new one. Doesn't look like the reseller is going to give me a new one either, just replace the logic board.

Although I'm not sure about the law in Australlia... In the UK, the most common way to get a replacement (at least from Apple) is that if it breaks within 6 months of purchase, it had a manfucaturing default from the start and Apple would have to prove otherwise.

Sigh. Well the guy (all 7 of them) seemed really nice, even saying how one of his friends had problems with his reseller-bought mac and he had to go along to make them repair it.

Irritating.

nikhilr51

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
Perth, Western Australia
Ok, its been over two weeks since i posted an update.
Basically whats happened is I gave the laptop to my reseller, and 1 and a half weeks later i got it back!

Good news: New logic board.
Bad news: None of the problems are fixed.

So they told me to call apple to get a replacement. Apple told me to take it back to the reseller for diagnosis. Now i'm just sitting here fuming.

I'm going to go give it back to my reseller tomorrow, lets see what happens.

Honestly the service has been so VERY far below what i assumed apple support was like (after reading stories online). Not happy with apple.
Next computer is definitely going to be a PC, don't know why I decided to go to mac. Stupid idea.

To Recap: Took to apple, told me to take to reseller, still broken after repair so told me to call apple, apple told me to take back to reseller, throw laptop in river

Last edited:

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Hey everyone (wow i haven't used this account since 2008 :eek:),

I've had a retina macbook pro since mid June and honestly my $800 Dell laptop had less problems than this $3000 piece of shiny tech.
Here's a list of some of the problems that occurred over the past few days (some are not that major I know, but still).
I've posted some of these problems individually here and on other forums but have received no helpful responses.

Some gestures stop working (Moderately frequent, Requires restart)
Crashes frequently (hasn't happened for a while though, chrome wasn't the problem)
Resuming from sleep takes a very log time or completly fails with a black screen (VERY frequent, have to hold down power button to turn it off)
Very laggy gestures when using intel graphics (I just assumed it was common for osx to be laggy but I used an in-store previous get MBP and it was MUCH smoother)
Apps staying in mission control after being closed, black screen when swiped to (odd, only happened once, required a restart)
Apps not appearing in dock when opened, still run fine though (Happened once or twice, Required restart)
Cmd-tab only showing safari, no finder or anything else. (Happened once or twice, Required restart to fix)
Running apps not having light below icon in dock, and for apps that DO show the light, it remains on after quitting till I click the icon. (Happened a couple of times, restart fixed it)
All dock icons disappear, empty dock remains (Happens quite often, restart fixed it)
Aperture keeps bouncing, doesn't open (Restart computer and it works again, has happened a few times)
Doesn't go to sleep when lid closed (Only once or twice)

I've owned three pcs before this and the only reason i swapped to mac was for their superior build quality, which as always is excellent, but besides that i'm disappointed. I remember when i had a powerbook g4 AGES ago, everything just worked, the only problem i had was the Bluetooth module died (fair enough after 5 years).

I have tried resetting the NVRAM and SMC however nothing seems to have helped. Mountian lion fixed safari which was horribly slow, but nothing else.

Sorry if it sounds like im having a rage at apple (just raging at mine) but i didn't expect this from a $3,000 laptop, that too and apple one.

Thanks in advance if anybody can help me,
Kind regards,
Nikhil

Looks like your MBP-R is having a bad hair day. I've had a few of your problems on my retina as well, but I didn't have such extensive problems on mine.

Intel graphics ARE laggy. The Intel HD4000 is already being pushed to its limits at 2880x1800, so laggy framerate on Intel is normal. I have to force mine into Nvidia with gfxcardstatus, although sticking to Nvidia all the time drained my battery real fast.

Some gestures do stop working on mine too (pinch to zoom, sometimes). That sure irked me and I had to reboot. But then, I discovered that working in a hot place heats up the trackpad, and having the trackpad at a warm temperature could lead to this. I didn't experience any of this in an air-conditioned room.

The rest of your problems have got me scratching my head.

For Aperture that doesn't start, just force quit and reopen. Worked in my case.

Doesn't go to sleep when lid closed: Well, this happened to me on Power Nap once or twice, had to disable that.

And well, RAM issue? Apple should be responsible to replace your machine with another brand-new MBP-R. Now, the RAM chips are soldered onto the board and this really irks me. So when I bought my retina, I had to select the 16GB option because I wouldn't be able to replace the RAM halfway down the road.

Hope it helps. Oh, and remember to repair disk permissions regularly from Disk Utility.

nikhilr51

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
Perth, Western Australia
Bs, op is lying left and right. Apple would fix anything within warranty period.

If anyone else doesn't believe me I will gladly scan in my genius bar report and the case in and out forms from my reseller. Cant provide any proof of the phonecall unfortunately except that she gave me a direct number to contact her.

Intel graphics ARE laggy. The Intel HD4000 is already being pushed to its limits at 2880x1800, so laggy framerate on Intel is normal.

Not on the in store demo model they weren't, my mates white macbook from '09 was faster.

Some gestures do stop working on mine too (pinch to zoom, sometimes). That sure irked me and I had to reboot. But then, I discovered that working in a hot place heats up the trackpad, and having the trackpad at a warm temperature could lead to this. I didn't experience any of this in an air-conditioned room.

Well. That's odd. Maybe you should get that checked up? I don't have any hotspots that ive noticed. My guestures that dont work are the three finger slide to next desktop/fullscreen app. Actually happened just now, had to restart to open safari.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I have hardly had any problems..the only issues I've had is when sleeping/screensaver. It either locks up or crashes. Nearly every time. Sometimes its ridiculously responsive. Like this morning I opened the lid and it was away before it was completely opened. I don't know the cause, but I think it has something to do with plugging in external displays.

wiznet

macrumors regular
May 30, 2012
Canada
When you went to the Apple Store, did you actually demand a replacement? Because that's what I would have done. Don't let them push you around, lol.

Strange, sorry for the issues you're experiencing... Mine is perfect.

DT39

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2012
I guess it is just how it goes in forums, you hear more about problems than you do about good experiences.

I have a retina Macbook pro since July 22nd which is my first mac. I have not had any of these issue that keep getting plastered on this forum. I have been pc user for many years and now i have best of all worlds! :D

I also waited a bit to do the upgrade to Mountain Lion because of all the issues reported. I upgraded to ML the other day and again no issues.

I don't mean to rub it in that i'm all right jack! just wanted to let people know that not everyone are having issues.

Hope you get sorted nikhilr51 and i would as others have said go and demand a replacement, you should not be having all those troubles!

nikhilr51

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
Perth, Western Australia
Sooooooo,
It's been about 4 weeks now and I finally got it back (same laptop, apple refuses to replace it)
They'd wiped the HD and installed Lion on it. Everything ran perfectly fine.
So i upgraded to Mountain lion through the App store and ALLLLLL the problems came back. The past day or so i've reformatted and reinstalled ML 3 or 4 times and nothing changes.

Decided to google the problem and found this: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4148076?start=0&tstart=0

Apparently it's pretty common, some guys already been through 4 laptops with no change.

Should have bought a Pc. Should have bought a Pc. Should have bought a Pc.

nikhilr51

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
Perth, Western Australia
Another update on this horrible computer from a horrible company (yes I am mad :)
So apple wanted the logic board to be replaced AGAIN even after me telling her that it will do nothing (the guys at the authorised repair centre even said it probably wont fix anything). So they did that and of course nothing is fixed (keyboard backlighting seems to have broken too).

Called up apple and after close to a month of headaches they said they'll replace it! But i have to give it back in to the service centre AGAIN which i cant do right now as i have exams and do need a computer. So ill give it in at the end of the week and lets see how it goes, I don't know how long that will take.

I have a friend who had a $1200 dell laptop with graphics problems, dell replaced the graphics card, which didnt do anything and so they replaced the computer. That took under 2 weeks. Apple is shockingly bad when it comes to customer service from what i've experienced.

Anyone know if i'd be able to get some sort of compensation for being without a $3200 laptop for an entire month?!

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
That's bullsh that they'd throw the problem over to a reseller. Where in the warranty T&Cs do they include bias regarding the initial purchase place? Good thing you got a replacement in motion by calling up though - I've read time and time again that calling up AppleCare is far more fruitful than taking it in store, especially if you've got a complaint about the store.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Hey everyone (wow i haven't used this account since 2008 :eek:),

I've had a retina macbook pro since mid June and honestly my $800 Dell laptop had less problems than this $3000 piece of shiny tech.
Here's a list of some of the problems that occurred over the past few days (some are not that major I know, but still).
I've posted some of these problems individually here and on other forums but have received no helpful responses.

Some gestures stop working (Moderately frequent, Requires restart)
Crashes frequently (hasn't happened for a while though, chrome wasn't the problem)
Resuming from sleep takes a very log time or completly fails with a black screen (VERY frequent, have to hold down power button to turn it off)
Very laggy gestures when using intel graphics (I just assumed it was common for osx to be laggy but I used an in-store previous get MBP and it was MUCH smoother)
Apps staying in mission control after being closed, black screen when swiped to (odd, only happened once, required a restart)
Apps not appearing in dock when opened, still run fine though (Happened once or twice, Required restart)
Cmd-tab only showing safari, no finder or anything else. (Happened once or twice, Required restart to fix)
Running apps not having light below icon in dock, and for apps that DO show the light, it remains on after quitting till I click the icon. (Happened a couple of times, restart fixed it)
All dock icons disappear, empty dock remains (Happens quite often, restart fixed it)
Aperture keeps bouncing, doesn't open (Restart computer and it works again, has happened a few times)
Doesn't go to sleep when lid closed (Only once or twice)

I've owned three pcs before this and the only reason i swapped to mac was for their superior build quality, which as always is excellent, but besides that i'm disappointed. I remember when i had a powerbook g4 AGES ago, everything just worked, the only problem i had was the Bluetooth module died (fair enough after 5 years).

I have tried resetting the NVRAM and SMC however nothing seems to have helped. Mountian lion fixed safari which was horribly slow, but nothing else.

Sorry if it sounds like im having a rage at apple (just raging at mine) but i didn't expect this from a $3,000 laptop, that too and apple one.

Thanks in advance if anybody can help me,
Kind regards,
Nikhil

These are not normal issues. I only experienced a couple of them...then I reinstalled ML and used migration assistant to get all of my stuff back and have had no problems since.

----------

Thats what i thought too. Guess not.

Nope, apple ain't giving me a new one. Doesn't look like the reseller is going to give me a new one either, just replace the logic board.

Sigh. Well the guy (all 7 of them) seemed really nice, even saying how one of his friends had problems with his reseller-bought mac and he had to go along to make them repair it.

Irritating.

It makes no difference where you bought your computer if it is under a year old it is covered under warranty....3 if you bought apple care (that can also be bought from anywhere)

The only reason it would matter where you bought it is they put in 3rd party ram....which is impossible on a rMBP. Something sounds funny about this story.

----------

Another update on this horrible computer from a horrible company (yes I am mad :)
So apple wanted the logic board to be replaced AGAIN even after me telling her that it will do nothing (the guys at the authorised repair centre even said it probably wont fix anything). So they did that and of course nothing is fixed (keyboard backlighting seems to have broken too).

Called up apple and after close to a month of headaches they said they'll replace it! But i have to give it back in to the service centre AGAIN which i cant do right now as i have exams and do need a computer. So ill give it in at the end of the week and lets see how it goes, I don't know how long that will take.

I have a friend who had a $1200 dell laptop with graphics problems, dell replaced the graphics card, which didnt do anything and so they replaced the computer. That took under 2 weeks. Apple is shockingly bad when it comes to customer service from what i've experienced.

Anyone know if i'd be able to get some sort of compensation for being without a $3200 laptop for an entire month?!

Also, if you paid $3200 for it, why did you got thru a reseller???? I'm guessing you got everything maxed and saved a couple hundred dollars....but at a cost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.