So much complaining

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ccozmo, Nov 26, 2016.

1. ccozmo macrumors newbie

There is so much complaining on here about the new macbook pro's ...

So I received my 15' TB and honestly it beats any expectation I had.. is the 2.7 / 460. It's fast and also battery is great (posted in another thread 2 hours ago - still have 12 hours on apples flakey time)

Anyway - those on the fence, try it out ... beats my 2012 one

2. ocgirl macrumors regular

ocgirl

I think the people complaining might be those with newer MBPs (2014/2015).
    I'm rocking a 2009 Macbook (not pro) and let me tell you when i tried the new one in store I fell in love with it (no stock though :( ).
    Yes there are some annoying stuff : no magsafe / all usb-c / etc but it's a tradeoff ... if you want the latest tech you have to let go of the past (and be willing to be a guinea pig even).

3. Macalway macrumors 68020

yes they are great. CRAZY expensive, but they have really gone nuts about weight reduction, which is awesome. The fact that they literally made a MacBook Pro into an Air (bye bye Air) is really something

4. ccozmo thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah agree, I also have a late 2015 refresh from work... but I will prefer to pay for this
    --- Post Merged, Nov 26, 2016 ---
    yeah so solid & yet so light

5. ales876 macrumors newbie

I agree with your posts. Yes they are crazy expansive. Still the market decides if it is, or not. If you can't effort it, it's not for you. Basic economics. I'm looking forward to pick up my machine on Monday.

6. GoodOne macrumors regular

Coming from a 2013 I almost fell for the complaining and I was anxious before I got Hands one my 2016 15 Inch MBP. These are fantastic machines and most People complaining haven't laid their Hands one of them.

Before I got mine, I was worried about the Keyboard but after an hour or so I felt more optimistic and after a couple of days I absolutey LOVE typing on the Keyboard, it's so much better than the old one. It's just tight, precise and if you use not as much force when typing, it's not even louder than the old one like many People claimed.

7. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

I honestly feel that my TBMP is the greatest piece of technology I have ever owned.

8. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Everybody can have an opinion. Some are satisfied with them and like them, and buy them if they need them. Some are not satisfied and don't like them, and will find better alternatives. Perhaps the 2015 model, ideally cheaper, or even try a computer with Windows 10 or Linux.

9. meboy macrumors regular

I think you mean they made an Air into a RMB.
    It's the Internals of the Air with retina screen and no ports.

They made the MBPs into RMBs with better Internals.

10. MH01 Suspended

MH01

I've also come from the same 2012, and bought the same machine as you. Though disagree on great battery life. I, really Impressed by it, except for the large track bad... I can make it last a long time by babying it, but today used it in a video encoding workflow against a 2015 machine using the same files and the 2016 came out beind my 24% battery life.....that's not good.
    I had that feeling with the 2012 retina MacBook. This machine is nice...though just something is missing, I guess the price difference is tough, though I paid a hefty premium for the 2012... it's only been 4 days...I'll see

11. Appleaker macrumors 68000

- The complaints about price are thoughtless. The price increased in 2012 and it will go down with time.
    - The complaints about processor performance have no ground. Apple are using the latest 28W and 45W chips.
    (The 15" CPU doesn't see much improvement due to the fact it is using the non-Iris Pro chips).​

However, the complaints regarding a non-removable SSD and the lack of ports are valid, they are features that have been taken away and could have been implemented into the new model. It may be a surprise for some, but even the 12" MacBook is thick enough to have a USB-A port if Apple wanted to do that.

Obviously Apple want to go to USB-C for everything but that doesn't justify just 4 ports and no SD card slot.
    If they spent more time with the internal design, they could fit a removable SSD in both models so really there is no excuse.
    They made the 11" Air into the RMB but they made the 13" Air into the base MBP.

12. bab5139 macrumors newbie

I'm writing this on a top of the line 2016, and I am in the complaining camp. If I was able to upgrade the memory past 16 gigs, I think I would be ok. But I've had 16 gigs since 2011 and I've been hitting a wall for the last 2 years. So to spend this type of money with that limitation makes me upset. It will be a 1500$ bath.

However, there are other things that just irk me. I find that I can't get used to the new keyboard. I'm sure I will get it eventually but I either don't press hard enough or press so hard that my neighbors can hear me. I run with disk hibernate turned off, so not having a visible indication telling me whether the machine is asleep or awake bothers me. The lack of magsafe; i don't know why they couldn't fit one right behind the left usb ports and allow charging from any port. The headphone jack is on the top right. I use my mac book on the couch/bed using a lapdesk and now I have to fight with the headphone cord every time I use my mouse. Basically i have to anchor it under the laptop. Nothing in the laptop can be upgraded. Good for apple but bad for me and ruins perceived value. USB-C is great and I'm fine with dongles as long as the multiport/docking station type worked. Even apples mutiport video adapter with HDMI doesn't work properly and I have to plug and unplug it every time the computer goes to sleep. All of the single protocol dongles (displayport, ethernet, usb) have worked for me though. And even though it's USB-C, multiport adapters that need drivers still have to be certified before apple will allow them to work on the platform.

When I bought my 2011 it seemed like they had thought of everything. I felt good about the purchase and never had any doubts about my decision to purchase. I was able to rationalize the premium because the laptop had a high perceived value compared to competing products at the time. But the gap has shrunk and we are actually paying more. So, while the laptop is otherwise great, I feel like I am overpaying for what I am getting. In my opinion the complainers are trying to vocalize this struggle and want new evidence that tells them otherwise. Because at the end of the day we all want a new Mac or we wouldn't be here. I just really wish they had gone with a ddr3 controller. Even an extra 4 gigs would go along way.

13. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Plain & simple the 2016 MBP is not meeting peoples expectations, with the focus being on "thinner" not performance...

Q-6

14. thesaint024 macrumors 65816

thesaint024

A lot of similar threads here. This MBP is exceeding my expectations. We all have different expectations. Those of us coming from older MBP's are generally thrilled. Those considering upgrades from 15's, not so much, but isn't that expected.

The port situation is ideal for me with the exception that I wish they included ONE usb-a port, and I wish that the ports were a little farther apart for flexibility. Other than that, I love usb-c. I'm one of those people that could care less about an SD card. I am glad I'm not carrying it around every day 24/7 and never use it. I am not a pro photog. How many of us are. Those who aren't really don't need an SD slot ALL the time. I don't need any port ALL the time. I like that they were able to minimize port size yet be the most flexible port out there.

The MBP is just built well. If you're complaining about QA or build quality, you haven't seen the competition lately. Everything feels a little cheaper. This machine is definitely premium. Again, people have different expectations. But man, the same few people who bitch about the same things over and over on every thread is getting old.

15. motime macrumors 6502

The complaining is totally justified. We keep losing sight of the fact that Apple had an eternity to produce something worthwhile. We were kept waiting a long time... Given the anticipation this upgrade is a total let down, especially considering the prices they are charging. Of course there are people who have no issues splurging ridiculous amounts of cash on the new machines, because well it is marginally better and comes in space grey, but the fact remains that Apple totally could have released a much more worthwhile upgrade at a relatively cheaper price. It wouldn't have been unlike Apple to do so.

16. happyhippo1337 macrumors regular

Try using an XPS 15 9550 for a day. The 1080p model has a display response time > 75ms. It's the worst i've ever seen in a screen. The 4k version crapped out for month and is still plagued by flaws. However, these machines are serviceable, let you upgrade RAM/SSD and don't hit a *****ing 95 degrees celsius CPU temp (this **** is really triggering me) after a minute of full load.

I'm still happy about the Pro 15 I bought on Thursday, but really sceptical about the longevity.

17. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

I'm incredibly glad Apple doesn't compromise in order to keep prices down.

And I'm glad they make big enough margins on their devices to keep pursuing their vision.

It's really good to have one premium manufacturer on the market. There's tons of cheaper stuff.

18. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

Please tell us what this ideal laptop from Apple would be like...

19. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Just try typing on an older one. It's a surreal experience.

Step 1: complain about new keyboard having no travel

Step 2: say it's not so bad after a few days

Step 3: go back to using old keyboard and complain about how mushy it feels

I see this experience so much. Maybe despite all the complaining, we can adapt more than we know and we should be giving these devices the benefit of the doubt. Like maybe apple did extensive testing before releasing these

20. nj-mac-user macrumors 6502

nj-mac-user

Apple's focus has always been on thinner and lighter, so shouldn't be a surprise. As a portable machine that's actually a good thing. And how is it lacking in performance exactly? I think it's more because ppl don't like change. Removal of oft used ports now requiring adapters and the beloved magsafe.

21. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

No surprises, equally for some the compromises are too much, for the sake of the aesthetic. Battery runtime, ports, dGPU, RAM take your pick, everyone`s needs differ. Personally & professionally I am not tied to OS X, which opens a lot of avenues.

Q-6

22. skids929 macrumors 6502a

skids929

I agree with the folks who are making the point of these machines being overpriced, there is no getting around that other than to say consumer choice, don't buy it. You do have a choice. But overall yes, these aren't cheap laptops. With that said, I love this machine, a lot. But take it for FWIW, since I am coming from a 2006 white MB.

I don't think it's without the machine is without it's faults, and I question whether apple could have actually made anything groundbreaking to live up to the long wait for an update given the tech for laptops has leveled. In the end these laptops aren't going to work for everyone. Take the keyboard for example, I think it's spectacular (and I am very fussy), but there are a lot of folks who think it stinks. Hmmph...Different strokes. This is a great laptop, beautifully machined and some pretty decent tech inside (e.g. the SSD) with THE BEST operating system ever made by the hand of man.

23. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Thing is the 2016 MBP may meet your needs & expectations, equally not mine, nor is this related to a small minority. I have purchased every model of the MBP, however the 2016 works against my workflow, nor does it add any signifiant benefit, so why would I consider paying $3.5K - $4K for a notebook that does not deliver to my expectations...

My notebooks pay the bills, therefore I am indifferent to the moniker on the lid, my 13" rMBP is already replaced by a Surface Book, 15" I can wait on.

Q-6

24. motime, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016

motime macrumors 6502

Same size and keyboard as the 2015 model, it was thin enough. Better battery life, if Apple wasn't obsessed with thinness this would have been easily achieved due to more efficient processors. USB C but also at least one legacy USB port and SD card slot. If they wanted to stick with the new keyboard then more key travel. Magsafe with the option to charge with USB C as well. New screen is a nice upgrade but we didn't need the gimmicky touchbar.

I would have loved a 10 series Nvidia card, a bit of a stretch maybe but you are talking ideal. Anyway, all of what I mentioned above for last years price + 200 would be reasonable.

I don't think something along those lines is asking for much, and it would have been pretty well received.

25. auero macrumors 65816

Unless for some strange reason I change my mind, I'll be returning my machine in a few days. Performance compared to my 2013 model is eerily similar (excluding GPU speeds, of course). I'm mostly disappointed with the Touch Bar because it's created additional steps in my workflow. Actions that were muscle memory for me have turned into tedious searching to make sure I'm pressing the button. It's a beautiful device and anyone coming from an older machine is in for a treat because there will be a drastic difference in terms of performance. I personally wanted a faster GPU, but spending this chunk of money for one performance boost feels like a poor financial decision in my current line of design work. I'm willing to spend top dollar on a high performance machine if it would truly outperform my current machine.

I've bought dozens of laptops over the last few years and only purchased MacBook Pro's/Powerbooks, however, I might be looking elsewhere in the future. I'm likely to stick it out for another year and see what (hopefully) next years revision brings.