So my girlfriend says, "Dump the iPhone!!!"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhoneNYC, May 14, 2009.

1. iPhoneNYC macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

I often call my girlfriend during lunch, cellphone to cellphone. We both work in midtown Manhattan - a place where ATT says it has great service. The relationship began before the iPhone when I had Verizon. My Verizon phone was clear as can be and sounded like a landline. Yesterday's call (on a clear cloudless day) had drop outs and a high pitched tone no matter where I stood. Finally after ten minutes of this, my girlfriend said 'Honey, I know you love your iPhone but for the past two years I can barely hear you when you call. When your contract runs out (the end of next month) can't you go back to Verizon? I know your phone is cool but I haven't really heard you in two years! Please??" What do you all think?

2. bmacir macrumors 6502

Dump her! :D

3. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Get a cheap pre-paid verizon phone to call to her from, problem solved :D

4. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Go month to month when your contract is up, then get the Storm 2 when it's released on Verizon.

Phones are cool to have, but personal relationships are the most important. In the end, she will always (hopefully) be there for you and the ole iPhone will be long gone and forgotten.

- Me acting like Dr. Phil

5. bmacir macrumors 6502

No, no seriously, she asked him to dump the iPhone, dump her now and never look back! :D

6. nburwell macrumors 68030

nburwell

Have her purchase an iPhone - that's what my girlfriend did. And that is without me even enticing her to purchase one.

But seriously, I don't think switching to Verizon will solves your problems in NYC (or maybe it will). If you both work in midtown Manhattan, why don't you just skip the phone call and meet her for lunch?

7. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I understand the question but what's the problem? LOL Do you really want to talk to her that badly?

J/K

AT&T coverage sucks in Manhatten. Verizon has the Northeast blanketed in Cell towers.

Hopefully Verizon will roll out the 4G networks and will cut a deal with Apple and you can both be happy.

8. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Dumping the girl isn't really viable, unless you're looking for a "way out." I'm sure you see her in person, no? If you see her in person, great! Then you don't need to get rid of your iPhone as she'll be able to talk to you just fine.

9. lucamacis macrumors member

haha! I think your ready to move on to the next step from phone dating after 2 years! haha! She'll be glad your committing to face-to-face dating and you can keep the iPhone :) Stand your ground mate!:D

10. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Mmm I know the feeling. I can't hear a word my boyfriend says 'cause of his crappy carrier. Everyone else is clear as a bell :mad:

I'd rather swap carrier than give up the iPhone though

11. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

I was in midtown about two weeks ago; my iPhone had really crappy reception too. I hardly even could get a data connection outside the courthouse by battery park.

12. iPhoneNYC thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

To those who care, I'm not in the least interested in dumping the girl. Her office is twenty five blocks from mine and both are lunch breaks are on the short side. Carrying two phones seems silly and not a great solution: txt to this number, call this number if you actually want to have a clear conversation, etc. I guess I hope that the next gen iPhone will have better reception (I mean, isn't it's primary reason to exist is that it is a phone?). I also know that many people have great ATT reception outside of the NY area. But do I really commit to two more years of crap ATT service???

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Have to agree with the OP, for me, the iPhone is at best an average phone in terms of call quality.

14. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Man, you guys have been dating for over 2 years and still talk everyday at lunch?

How adorable!

15. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Maybe when the new iPhone comes out, it will have better call quality. That way, you can just buy a new iPhone and it's a win-win situation.

This probably won't happen since it's most likely all AT&T's fault, but you can dream though.

16. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I think it's all carrier. I mostly call my boyfriend who has sketchy at best/call drop city reception and my work where there's some sort of phone line/telephone based problem.

There's a lot of "WHAT? WHAT? SPEAK LOUDER" on these calls.

I called my mum this morning and was stunned by the clarity, like she was next to me with no fuzzyness or dodgy volume or anything. I'm always surprised when I make calls to people on decent networks. I have a 2G as well, the iPhone which supposedly has a reception problem.

17. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

VoIP - Use fring or Skype. Might be worth a test.

18. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

It's these stories that make me glad I live in a small town. I've never had a dropped call on an iPhone. I think AT&T is great in my area.

19. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

My wife loves her iPod Touch but she hates my iPhone because it's always dropping her calls when she's trying to talk to me.

So you're girlfriend is not alone.

20. JCastro macrumors 6502a

It is not the phone. It is the coverage area. AT&T is great with an iPhone most places I am been. I am sure there are some places that are not so great but I have been in one yet.

I am surprised that Manhattan is that bad though. I guess there a lot of physical obstructions and a whole lot of different signals in a crowded place. :confused:

21. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Find Wifi Hotspots and dump contracts altogether with an iPod Touch and Skype.

You're always within a block of Wifi in NYC.

22. iPhoneNYC thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

For those you you who are surprised by bad ATT service in Manhattan, here are some excerpts from a recent NY times article. This was the subject of a post a while back so I've excerpted it to keep it short:

The iPhone Excuse -By SAM GROBART

A couple of weeks ago, my colleague Matt Richtel — a handsome devil if ever there was one — spoke truth to power. He said the thing that no one was saying, yet needed to be said. Here it is in a nutshell:

For all its abilities and powers, the iPhone is a tremendous pocket computer, but a lousy phone.

And he’s absolutely right. I’ve owned an iPhone 3G since Christmas, and I could add my voice to the growing angry chorus. See, before I was with Apple and AT&T, I was a Verizon customer for years. And I don’t know what it’s like where you live, but here in 212/718, you can’t swing a cat and not hit a big, strapping band of CDMA frequency. Verizon has New York in a wireless headlock.

Switching to an iPhone, I immediately noticed the difference. My office? Don’t even — I get nothing there. At home? Better, but not quite the same. And dead spots all over the place. At any time, I can (and do) lose a call.

“What’s that? You called me three times already? Sorry, man — got an iPhone.”

23. Merkie macrumors 68020

So my iPhone says, "Dump the girlfriend!!!".

Btw, the AT&T network probably just sucks. In Europe, all we have here is GSM, people rarely complain about bad call quality due to bad reception. When I was in Manhattan two weeks ago I noticed that whenever I went into the subway with my iPhone, reception was immediately completely gone. Where I live I always have full reception, even in the subway. I notice the iPhone always gets blamed for bad reception, as if "iPhone" is another word for "AT&T GSM signal strength".
    False, you almost always have to pay to use the hotspot :( .

24. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

That's a shame man - my 3G service is amazing in Toronto. Fast and reliable with no dead spots.

25. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan