So my new MacBook Pro is broken after just 2 days..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacBookPro13", Feb 9, 2011.

1. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

I ordered my MacBook Pro 13" from the online store on Tuesday the 1st of February and was delivered on Monday the 7th of February, to my home address in Kerry. (was due for delivery on the previous Friday)

Unboxed and booted up as soon as it was delivered and everything was great. Took it on the train up to Cork with me, using it on-board and still working very well, no problems whatsoever. Got to my apartment in Cork and was using it that night. On one application I was using, the MPB froze and I needed to power off and on again, but it was fine after that. When I was finished for the night I shut it down and went to bed.

On Tuesday it worked fine all day, watched a movie and did some web browsing. Imported pictures from my digital camera and installed a game.
    That evening an error randonly came up in several different languages with the english one saying something along the lines of;

"You need to restart your computer. To restart, hold down the power button and when it is shut down, press the power button again."

I did this & the machine booted up without any problems, until one hour later when the message came up again and I powered off and on again and it was fine yet again. Later that night the same thing happened but this time when I tried to reboot, there was a series of beeps and a black screen, it wouldn't boot. I kept trying and sometimes it would boot and get to the desktop before the message coming up again and other times it would just be the series of beeps. Either way, it wasn't working. Tried it again this morning and the problems continued.

What I did on the between getting the laptop & the time it broke down;

Ran & installed Software Updates

Installed app's such as; Skype, VLC, Adium, Messenger for Mac, TweetDeck, Twitter, Steam, Football Manager 2011, Office for Mac 2011, Chrome, Firefox, uTorrent.

Connected to the internet with an ethernet cable & also with USB Broadband Dongle.

Connected and transferred files from my external hard drive.

Connected and transferred files from my digital camera.

Powered it off twice when the computer had frozen.

I rang Apple Support this morning and we tried various methods of booting including;

Holding down cmd, alt, r & p

Holding down cmd, alt, r & b

Holding down c with install DVD in the Superdrive

None of the above worked. He then said that as it was a very new computer that they will send me out a brand new machine and they will collect the old one.

That is fine, but I want to know the following;

What did/may have caused this to happen?

What would happen if this had occurred a few weeks later than yesterday, would I still get a free replacement?

Do Apple need to collect the laptop from me before they will deliver the new one? (They said they are collecting within 48 hours & I will not be at my home address until Friday)

Have you ever experienced this?

Should Apple compensate me in any way for the inconvenience of this? (I am in college now for the week with no PC & I have projects to do etc.)

If the same happens with the new one, would they provide yet another new one?

What are your opinions on this situation?

Thanks guys!

AC

2. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

Apple doesn't like pirates.
    But on a serious note, they don't usually replace the macbooks before trying to fix it first, but maybe yours had a big problem that's why the said they would replace it imediately. They won't compensate you for the time you lost. If it happens again, they will sure fix it for free or maybe replace it again.

3. DarkVinda macrumors regular

DarkVinda

Thats sad news to hear your having problems - i've got my 13" and fingers crossed i dont come across any issues like you...

let them do what they need to do, as for your LOST time - im pretty sure 99% of lic agreements out that state that they will not compensate etc for lost time etc...

only time i know you can even ask about it and stand a chance is if its all been registered down a business channel...

i used to work for o2 and we got it all the time on pay & go - i've lost business cos my phone isnt working etc...our response was simple - this is not registered as a business handset or sim card.

if it was then they would do something about it...i assume apple would be the same...

4. MacBookPro13" thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

uTorrent was for downloading a club & competitions logo pack for the above, Football Manager 2011.

Well it would appear that the problem is pretty big as the technical support needed to consult his senior and when he got back to me he said it would need to be replaced.

5. newdeal macrumors 68020

that is called a kernel panic, I would personally have tried reinstalling the OS and if it continued then probobly bad hardware

6. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

i don't understand... I read many threads in here about kernel panics, and checked wikipedia to see what that is. It seems it's like the windows Blue Screen Of Death, but for unix.
    People have been flaming windows for being a ****** OS crashing all the time, but I haven't had a BSOD in like 7 years of windows usage, while macs seem to have them pretty often. kinda off-topic but it raises questions...

7. MacBookPro13" thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

I would have done this but I could not get past the "restart your computer" error message.

8. moel macrumors 6502

Personally a Kernal fault after 2 days, would more than likely point to iffy hardware, and you arne't going to want a new customer to go thru the process of reinstallation, to possibly not fix it.

Apple made the right call here.

As for kernal panics happening all the time..i'd say if you see more than 1 in 9 months there might be an issue. I've got a mac mini that is left on for months at a time (it's longest recorded uptime is 9months), it is yet to kernal panic.

9. gameface macrumors 6502

"Pretty often"? I have 6 macs running in my home and haven't had a kernel panic on one in probably 5 years (rough guess). You never hear about the awesome running machines, you only hear about the badly running ones. Reoccurring kernel panics usually point to a hardware issue and have nothing to do with the OS. So even then, your argument falls flat on its face. Good troll though.

2010 Mac Pro
    2010 Mac Mini
    2006 MBP
    200? Powermac G5
    2001? Powermac G4
    2003? Powerbook G4

Last batch of kernel panics I had was when that Powerbook G4 I mentioned had a failing optical drive. Once that got repaired it didn't kernel panic again.

Ohh and guess what, my machines stay on 100% of the time and they are USED heavily. Lots of rendering, lots of transcoding, etc.

10. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

No, Macs don't have kernel panics often. Macs with broken hardware do. And people with broken hardware and kernel panics will often post here. And then they get told "check your hardware", and that fixes it.

11. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Do more research on a Kernal Panic. It is similar to the windows blue screen of death but not nearly as severe.

12. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

What!?!?

I love torrents. I wanted to buy my first mac soon :(

13. MacBookPro13" thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

How could my hardware be broken after just 2 days?

14. gameface macrumors 6502

Are you seriously asking this question?

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Hardware is not flawless. Inside the factory something could have gone wrong. With what minimal QC Apple seems to do these days, it is no surprise that some machines will be DOA. They even have a DOA policy which should give you some hint as to whether or not hardware could potentially fail before it gets to you or the day it gets to you. It happens, it's technology ... electronic ... etc.

Just let them fix or replace it and be done with it. If you think this doesn't happen on Dells, HPs, Toshibas or even an IBM then you're wrong.

16. moel macrumors 6502

Yeah..go buy a sense of irony first...he was joking.

MBP13" It probably shipped that way....anything could be faulty from a bad processor thru to the PCB robots not correctly soldering a transistor to the board.

17. MacBookPro13" thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

It might not be flawless, but to pack up after just two days is ridiculous.

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It happens, again, this is technology and sometimes technology fails us.

If it makes you feel better, I spent $3k on a MacPro in May 2008. Out of the box it was faulty. Although I was not immediately aware of the fault, it was faulty and eventually replaced in February 2009 (because of my own procrastination). After replacing the fans, the tower, the logic board, the CPUs, the GPU and the power supply, nothing worked. I had a brand new machine basically and it didn't fix the issue. 3 weeks later they offered me a new machine, I had it within a week. It took a month to get things fixed up but in the end I got a new machine. It was frustrating and I had to lug that damn thing to and from the Apple store a few times. However, they made it right eventually.

Ridiculous, perhaps, but it happens.

19. moel macrumors 6502

You got a duff one! ***** happens!!!!

I'll agree it's not ideal, but for every 1000 that come out of the factory, 1 might be iffy...it's just unfortunate you got an iffy one! They are replacing it, you can't really ask more for that!

20. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

i guess he was joking too ... so guess who needs to buy some sense of irony ^^ no hard feeling, you can't always pick up on the jokes. noone can. that's what makes it special.

21. MacBookPro13" thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

If it was faulty from the beginning that would be fine, I just want to be sure that it was nothing that I did, so I can avoid this in round 2.

22. Kreylonus macrumors newbie

It's hard to say without having performed a thorough hardware test before and after the issue began to occur, but that being said I highly doubt that it's anything that you've done that would have caused the issue.

Apple's quality control is above and beyond other computer manufacturers out there from what I've seen, but that doesn't mean that things like this don't occasionally happen - my guess by the description of the issue is that it could have been a bad disk, bad memory, or a bad logic board.

My recommendation? Let Apple take care of it and don't worry so much - if you have problems with your replacement computer then I'd do a bit of escalating.

Best of luck, and have a great day. :)

23. MacBookPro13" thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

Thank you :)

24. dime21, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011

dime21 macrumors 6502

you must be joking. why should they? if you have projects to do, borrow someone elses computer, or go use a shared one in a computer lab or library.

if you bought a pack of underwear, and later found that the underwear was defective and you couldn't wear it, should the underwear marker "compensate" you, because you had no underwear and therefore couldn't go to class? lol it's the same thing. incidental and consequential damages are your problem. the product vendor is liable only for their product, nothing more.

on that same subject, the product vendor is NOT liable for your data. So lets say you get this new replacement computer, then spend 9 weeks writing a huge term paper- and then the hard drive dies and you lose everything. that is YOUR problem, no one elses. What I'm trying to say, is back up your data regularly! get an external hard drive, preferably firewire, and back up your stuff to it often!!

25. MacBookPro13" thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

There is a big difference in paying €1,149 for a laptop & paying €2 for a pair of underwear. (of which one would normally have more of anyway)

Anyway, regarding that, my uncle (apple employee) is providing me with €240 worth of software (on top of the €200 employee discount), so it's all good.