Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Just goes to show that rumors are just that and Apple's gonna do what they want.

Hope folks didn't get their expectations up for new hardware at WWDC; while it's sometimes had hardware announced, it's primarily a software focused event.

I wouldn't be surprised to see new M1 systems released in time for back to school though.

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
I think Apple pulled the plug the moment the miniLED was a no go… obviously they want to launch the M1X in the new MBP’s with miniLED
That makes sense. Apple doesn't ship products that aren't ready. Must have been mini-LED hardware development issues and/or supply constraints, and/or Tawain drought and COVID issues that may have effected chip development/supply as well.

It's too bad- they could have sold MANY MBPs this summer.

erich.j.k

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2016
Germany
Just goes to show that rumors are just that and Apple's gonna do what they want.
I believe they do not "do what they want" at all - or they would have done so.

• They would have switched to M* (whatever) day one (last November)
  • They would have shown off the new iMac with a processor that is suitable for a desktop instead of a mobile one
  • They would offer more RAM for the M1 SoC
  • ... and so on
My guess is that there are / were difficulties to overcome with "the next level". Which is why they chose the M1 SoC for the iMac. A choice I find very strange. Why put a processor / SoC that needs so little energy into a machine that has no energy constraints whatsoever?
I guess that even though there are a lot of rumours, they simply are not ready yet to go the next step.

Reactions: chfilm

erich.j.k

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2016
Germany
I think Apple pulled the plug the moment the miniLED was a no go… obviously they want to launch the M1X in the new MBP’s with miniLED
I doubt it was the miniLED, even though it could be a factor as well. I think their SoC is simply delayed (or not ready at all - see the iMac with the M1 SoC - doesn't really make sense).

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I don't think it was ever going to happen today. I think a lot of wannabe insiders ran with cryptic information that sewed today with a lot of logical fallacy, and sites like MR got people all in a mode of eager anticipation for something that never was going to happen to begin with.

Reactions: Nightfury326

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
That makes sense. Apple doesn't ship products that aren't ready. Must have been mini-LED hardware development issues and/or supply constraints, and/or Tawain drought and COVID issues that may have effected chip development/supply as well.

It's too bad- they could have sold MANY MBPs this summer.

For me the Keynote seemed to be filled with a lot of fluff after MacOS announcement, that 20-25 mins of fluff was probably saved for the MBP’s but was likely pulled right at the death, hence why Gurman only suggested that the MBP’s may be ready as early as this summer as I don’t think even apple knew until recently if they could announce them or not.

Considering the MBA has been pushed until early 2022, I fully expect the MBP to refresh end of 2021 with the MBA’s following early 2022… that’s if all goes to plan, we are in the midst of a global chip shortage at the end of the day.

pshifrin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
The 2018 MBPs were released in mid July, maybe we only have to wait yet ANOTHER month?

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
For me the Keynote seemed to be filled with a lot of fluff after MacOS announcement, that 20-25 mins of fluff was probably saved for the MBP’s but was likely pulled right at the death, hence why Gurman only suggested that the MBP’s may be ready as early as this summer as I don’t think even apple knew until recently if they could announce them or not.

Considering the MBA has been pushed until early 2022, I fully expect the MBP to refresh end of 2021 with the MBA’s following early 2022… that’s if all goes to plan, we are in the midst of a global chip shortage at the end of the day.
Yup, I totally agree. They filled that section with developer-centric material when it became clear the MBPs were not going to be ready. Maybe working remotely along with the challenges of mini-LED and the global chip shortage (especially Taiwan's issues) was simply too much.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
Yup, I totally agree. They filled that section with developer-centric material when it became clear the MBPs were not going to be ready. Maybe working remotely along with the challenges of mini-LED and the global chip shortage (especially Taiwan's issues) was simply too much.
Personally I was holding out for this event before I pulled the trigger I think now I am just going to go with the M1 MBP and maybe upgrade in a couple of years when the redesign has aged a bit and all the ‘redesign’ issues are sorted out.

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012
Just bought the MBP M1 in January. Going to buy the iPad Pro M1 soon. I'm not sure what other hardware people were waiting for, especially because there have been no leaks for the iPad Mini or the mythical Macbook with Steve Jobs era ports.

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
Haha, was disappointing here too. I've had some funds earmarked for a new 16" MBP just waiting for the release, and also had gotten my hopes up it would be announced today (had marked in my calendar). Was definitely counting down the days to the keynote... watched the entire thing, hoping for a "And one more thing..." haha.

Wasn't a total waste of time, some interesting features announced for iOS, iPadOS and macOS for me. Hopefully a summer event focused on the MBPs comes sooner than later!

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
Personally I was holding out for this event before I pulled the trigger I think now I am just going to go with the M1 MBP and maybe upgrade in a couple of years when the redesign has aged a bit and all the ‘redesign’ issues are sorted out.
Not a bad idea. I've got an i9 throttling, Butterfly keyboard 2018 model so the sooner the better for me. Plus need more powerful GPU. But a relative has an M1 MBP and loves it. Great battery life, very quiet. Can't go wrong with that.

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
The 2018 MBPs were released in mid July, maybe we only have to wait yet ANOTHER month?
If they were waiting until July to announce, then they'll ship in August. I think it likely means a longer delay, since they clearly meant to launch them at WWDC then pulled the plug. They'll want to give themselves more time and ship September at earliest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.