So now we've established this phone's gate, what will the solution be?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhone7ate9, Sep 24, 2014.

1. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

Well people called it, there is a widespread 'issue' that has gone viral and on the media etc with all the bending stupidity (it's made out of the stuff they make pepsi cans with, what do you expect bro...do you even lift?).

With iPhone 4 they gave out bumpers...will they give out free silicone cases? Because that would be sweet. I'm all for free stuff.

2. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

The solution is not being stupid.

Oh wait........

3. Maetzle macrumors regular

Maetzle

The bumper helped because you wouldn't touch the antenna band when holding the phone. How would a silicone case stop the phone from bending?

4. ozshadow macrumors regular

The solution is ... don't wear skinny jeans! Buy cargo pants.

5. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

A Soft case for a soft phone will not work.

Hardcore apologetica will do nothing and let it bend. They will denia it is even bent.

The typical fan will just buy a case for it and say its the greatest phone even

Smart apple fans will buy a different phone, androids or windows. Why reward bad engineering?

6. geoffm33 macrumors 6502

geoffm33

7. cardfan macrumors 65816

Even a bent iphone is superior to those..

8. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

Ok honestly do we believe this is a real issue? I have the iPhone 6+, and have had it since launch day. I have kept it in my front pocket for 90% of my work day. No bending at all. There is always more to these stories, and just leaving the phone in your front pocket is not going to cause bending. Something else was done to the phones.

I am no Apple apologist. I like the products that they make, but I also know they are not perfect. This time though I don't think we have an issue.

9. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

It's a non issue. The phone is thin. It is made of metal. An intelligent human would assume it could be bent if forced into the wrong position. Particularly for any length of time.

People who are oblivious to this should buy rigid cases.

Apple probably didn't factor intelligence into the equation with a weight so heavily in favor of "oblivious to physics."

----------

I suspect, however, you are intelligent enough to know that if you feel your phone digging into your thigh, you should either adjust its placement in your pocket or remove it while you complete whatever task is causing that sensation, though. ;)

10. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

Yes I would. I treat my my $900 device with care. If I pay this kind of money for a phone I certainly am going to take care of it.

11. javaGuru macrumors 6502a

javaGuru

I have an iPhone 6 plus on order and I am a little concerned about this. I understand that most think this is just a result of placing the phone in a pocket of tight jeans or a back pocket. However, one of the reports of bending was from placing the device in dress pants which are not typically very tight.

Someone from 9to5mac also did a bend test showing that his phone was already slightly bent even before performing the bend test. He was then able to proceed to bend the phone by applying pressure with just his hands.

I would be curious to know how many iPhone 6 plus owners this is effecting. I constantly keep my iPhone in the front pocket of fairly lose fitting dress pants which is fairly similar to the usage of one user who reported bending.

12. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

The bends all seem to occur around the volume button area. Perhaps Apple will take to reinforcing that area with an internal steel band or something?

13. PTLove macrumors 6502

I think people saying "Dont wear tight jeans" are missing the larger point. That being when either my body, or the phone, is forced into a uncomfortable position for some unexpected and short amount of time. No different from dropping the phone on the ground.

Obviously the screen can crack if you drop it, and obviously the phone can bend if I force it. But there's a limit to where its acceptable and where its badly engineered. We have to see how common this is and how many people are reporting it though. At the moment theres not enough evidence to scare people yet.

14. iRobertM macrumors regular

:rolleyes:

15. Braddrum macrumors 6502

Braddrum

If it happens I'm sure they will replace so whats the big deal?

Mountain out of a mole hill.

Just enjoy the phone and deal with the rest when/if it happens.

16. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just want a free one :p

17. GB11 macrumors member

Buy an element case. If it bends I that case your doing it wrong. Just saying.

18. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

there is no issue and its not widespread.

19. RenoG macrumors 65816

20. petey2133 macrumors member

this stuff drives me nuttttts, why is there even a conversation about it? apple is not going to recall 10 million phones because a couple people cannot take of their electronics like a responsible owner.

We as consumers as for the following...

1) light weight
    2) Larger
    3) thinner

We as consumers have to accept the following consequences because of our wants:

1) bending
    2) shattering

Its part of the evolution of the devices. The new F150 from ford is almost ALL aluminum on the outside.. people have already accepted the fact that it will dent faster and looks worse than standard sheet metal. But they will still buy it.

21. rantor49 macrumors 6502

Most other brands of phones are engineered WORSE than Apple. No thanks.
    I love the Apple ecosystem so I'm not going to change. Smart Apple fans will not do stupid stuff with the phones.

22. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I know. But it has given Apple bad publicity, that's the key point. I was chatting up the tech agent about it and he said we're aware of the issue and looking into it.

But for sure I know it's not an issue to concern myself with.

23. erzhik macrumors 6502

Yeah, people should change their entire wardrobe for a phone. That's a genius idea. Have any more?

----------

How are they engineered worse? Please give examples, we would love some.

24. Smartass macrumors 6502a

you expect too much from a typical Apple fanboy;)

25. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Maybe, Apple will issue braces. :D Then, next year, a new different non-bending 6S/6+S.