So, reluctant iPhone 6+ owners, it's been over six months...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bearxor, May 7, 2015.

1. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

Those of you that bought the 6+ thinking it was too big, how has the past few months been to you? We're getting close to WWDC and another iPhone launch a few months later. If you have the same choice this fall, will you pick the Plus or go for the standard model?

I bought the Plus with the idea that Apple and developers would take advantage of the screen real estate in some kind of novel way and it just hasn't happened. The apps that do support higher resolution like messages or mail I just end up maximizing the side of the window with the message and I find that there's no room for context in the messaging app in landscape mode when trying to type a reply.

At the same time, the camera is pretty underwhelming even with the OIS and the larger battery doesn't make the phone last significantly longer than the standard 6.

I'm waiting until WWDC, for sure, just to see if APple has anything up it's sleeves with regards to more functionality on the Plus vs the standard model but I just wanted to see how anyone else is feeling about it.

If you bought the 6 Plus more for features and capability vs just getting a larger screen, would you still make that choice later this year?

2. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

With the same exact processor and SoC as the regular 6, I wasn't expecting a lot of devs to explore the screen space as much as they did with the iPad.

That being said, I still love my 6 Plus. I think it still is the best 5"+ phone on the market period, and if I were to upgrade phones in 2015 (I am planning on skipping this year and holding onto it for 2 yrs total) it would be the Plus again no doubt.

I bought it for the bigger screen and the better battery life and for those points it continues to deliver. :apple:

3. Dylatron2000 macrumors regular

Dylatron2000

It's funny that I didn't really sense any regret until a few months in (probably january/february time) when a lot of my friends and coworkers got iPhone 6s and they felt so good in the hand. I have average to larger hands for a guy so the 6+ fits super well with two handed usage, but the one-handed ease of the 6 always gets me kinda down.

That being said, the battery life has never been an issue in the several months that I've owned the phone. I can't think of one time where I was desperate for battery or a charge even after the heaviest of usage. Plus the 1080p screen makes netflix/any streaming pretty dang awesome.

4. SpasticPat macrumors 6502

SpasticPat

I love my 6 Plus and would get another in a heartbeat. It's worked perfect for me since day 1.

5. Nhwhazup, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 7, 2015

Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

While I've been frustrated with the whole iOS 8 and the glitches and lagginess with some apps, I still love my Plus. I've had iPhones going back to the 3G. The Plus has been my favorite by far.

6. big samm macrumors 65816

I also love my 6+ can't get enough of it... The large screen , longer battery life and ois on the camera made me bought the 6+ and will buy the next apple phablet in a heartbeat!

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

I switched from the 6 to the 6 Plus at the beginning of January.

I'm mostly satisfied with it. The only time its size becomes an issue is when I go for a run, otherwise it fits comfortably in all of my jeans and pants pockets. The screen is big and beautiful, the battery is so incredible that battery life is trivial to me now, and the camera is among the best on the market, if not the best.

My only real issue with it is that it's somewhat underpowered. Apple gave it the same specs as the 6 and after using both of them it's pretty obvious that the 6 Plus needed more raw power to run smoothly than the 6. It stutters quite a bit more than the 6 did and seems to reload apps more often as well.

I'm not sure if I'll go for the 6S Plus or the 6S. The iPhone 6 felt absolutely perfect in hand and was smoother but the 6 Plus has that endless battery life and better screen. We'll see.

8. thewebb macrumors regular

thewebb

I also have been really pleased with my 6+. I got the apple leather case for it which makes it feel really good in my hands and does not make it feel bulky or fat at all. I have family that has the 6+ in these big ugly cases and their phones have a completely different feel and in my opinion, make for a bad user experience. I have had a few lags here and there but it's definitely not often. Oh yeah, and the battery life/screen are great!

9. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

10. Wonderfantasy macrumors newbie

Recently switched from 6+ to 6 and am loving every moment with it, with no regrets. Phone is ideal size, fits well in the hand, looks sleek with my apple leather case. I also noticed a overall smoother iOS experience on it compared to the occasional lags and stutters with the 6+. To me the 6+ just feels too big and out of place when using it on the go. If I need a bigger display to do things, I'll rely on my iPad Air.

11. CanadaMaple macrumors member

I love my 6+.

Next round I don't know what I'll get. I'm actually so pleased with the 6 Plus that I will probably keep it for 2ish years. Maybe 3 depending on how time goes.
    I have AppleCare+ with 1 incident left. Sadly I had an accident with it :(. Apple was great though.

I had been thinking of going for the smaller unit, because I do quite like the size of it. One handed use isn't an issue for me, I have HUGE hands. But I've kind of become in love to the screen on my 6 Plus and web browsing with it is wonderful.

Battery life is the main reason I love it so much. Im usually up about 6, in bed by 10. I can say since owning it, it has never died during the day. Usually over 30% left when i hit the sack. I don't feel the need to carry a charger with me anymore. And I haven't in a while.

I don't watch video or play games on it, but I do a lot of calling, messaging, web browsing and music streaming as well as GPS.

The phone has exceeded my expectations on many levels. and by far is one of my favourite iPhones. My other two favourites were the 2G and the 4S was a great phone. However nowadays the 5S may replace the 4S on my favourite TWO list.

Hands down though, the iPhone 6 Plus is the best iPhone for me right now. The only thing is I wish it had more RAM and not because of any issues with apps on it, but simply for future proofing.

Just to be clear. I bought this from Apple Store on launch day. Factory Unlocked. So I've had it for a while. (I'm pretty sure the American Store calls it sim-free)

-CM

12. Rayy42 macrumors 6502

Rayy42

I had a 6 for 6 months and just switched to the Plus a few weeks ago. I can kinda notice a performance difference but overall I'm starting to get used to my Plus. In a weird way my 6 just didn't lag like my Plus did. My Plus isn't slow my any means but every once in a while I'll see some strange hiccups I just didn't see with my 6.

Battery life is good but it isn't what I thought it would be. But I do think the screen is gorgeous and the camera is awesome!!

Since I'm used to the size of the phone I will probably continue to get the Plus iPhone series since it's only about $5 more monthly for me using AT&T Next 12 installment plans.

13. Cozmosis macrumors member

Cozmosis

Love my 6+ overall, but assuming both have upgraded RAM next gen, I will switch to a 6 if the battery life is improved.

I am not getting enough out of the larger screen size and want to go smaller, but I do NOT want a significant drop in battery life. I don't expect them ever to have the same battery life but I need more than what the 6 gives. I've not once even thought about whether I had enough battery since the 6+ released, which is so freeing.

14. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

I bought the 6 at launch but had plus envy after a few months and bought one in Jan. I kept my 6 but used the plus pretty steady the last 4 months. I just switched back to my 6 and it feels so much better in my hand and is so much easier to carry. I'm thinking I'll carry it all summer and next time I upgrade I will be sticking with the standard phone. The plus screen is great as well as the battery but I wouldn't say the experience is head and shoulders above the 6. They both have their +/-. I just don't have the day to day need for a large phone.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm happy with my IP6+ through I've come to the realization that for me, and my usage habits its just too big. I end up selling it this summer and get an iPhone 6s/6c that will presumably be coming out this fall.

16. LaynieGorilla macrumors 6502

I originally but the 6+ at launch, exchanged two days later for a 6 because I thought it was massive and it made my eyes hurt. I grew to strongly dislike the 6 and sold it for a 6+ in January.

I think I liked the bigger phone but i just wasn't used to carrying around and holding anything that was three times as big as my iPhone 5. In January when I got the 6plus I absolutely loved it and still do. I would never size down in future generations.

I think that its different for many people but works for me because:

1. I am 6'0"
    2. I have long fingers
    3. I use it to organize my school, professional and personal life

Most people who I see using it are in positions where they have to multitask and be organized and/or they are 6'0'+

17. HEK Suspended

HEK

Try turning on reduce motion and reduce transparency. It smoothed things out for me.

18. ggibson913 macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

I still love my 6+ but I have wondered if I wouldn't have been better off with the regular 6. Much better feeling in the hand but that being said, I absolutely love the battery life on my 6+. It literally lasts all day and then some.

19. kargurin macrumors regular

kargurin

The trend in the Android world, as I see it, is to go with faster processors, higher resolutions and bigger screens all while trying to keep the phone as slim as possible. All that means shorter battery life. Which I hate. Which is why I went with the Plus. That and I feel the 6 is too small. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Plus stay the same size while the 6 goes to 5 inches which would be ideal. All those waiting for the 6s Plus may end up with a phone with higher resolution, a faster processor, more RAM and less battery life. That is one set of trade offs I am not sure I'm willing to take. On the other hand if they throw in wireless recharging then you got a deal. Perhaps then the sweet spot would be a 5 inch iphone 6 with wireless recharging. If Android is a model for change, none of these big format phones will be as snappy as the 5s. I think the Plus as it stands down is pretty comparable the Note 3/4 and LG in terms of snappyness.

20. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Lag is one thing, but stuttering and freezing is another. The 6+ needed a native resolution with a bumped up GPU and more RAM. With these perfectly attainable jumps in hardware the phone would have been brilliant. Giving it the same specs as the 4.7" native resolution version was madness. The lack of RAM is also obvious after spending a minimal amount of time with the phone. Apple obviously don't test their products before release, and that goes for software too.

A decent battery life is also perfectly attainable but Apple are more concerned with style than substance. Make the phones slightly thicker and put in a bigger battery. Problem solved.
    Wireless charging is rather pointless as it takes forever, and constantly charging the battery will shorten its lifespan considerably. Very few people 'need' wireless charging.

----------

All day and then some? At times my battery life is merely ok. The 6+, certainly with 8.3, isn't the battery beast that many claim it to be.

[​IMG]

21. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

The new 6+S is sure to be amazing no doubt I couldn't go back to a 'regular' iPhone after using the Plus for so long. I do want to see if eventually we can run iPad apps on this model.

Maybe someday there will be a 6" iPhone that can be an iPad ultra mini. Run iPad apps but still be a phone. A merging of the two lines if you will.

22. eltoslightfoot macrumors regular

eltoslightfoot

I completely love my iPhone 6 plus. No regrets. It is way ahead of my Note 3 in terms of battery life and reliability. I will only upgrade if something really compelling happens in the next model. But I wouldn't say going back to Android is an option. This platform is too good.

23. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

I love my 6 plus for just about everything. Except that it is just a bit to small to be used for surfing and just a bit to large to use one handed. I'm thinking at the end of my contract that I will go to a 6, and then purchase either an iPad mini retina, or an iPad air 2 for surfing the web.

Just my take.

But I would still like to figure out how to make calls over data instead of cellular. One day I will. I am a long haul trucker and my phone reception is getting worse with each upgrade.

24. kargurin macrumors regular

kargurin

I know people who use wireless charging and love it. They keep it at their desk and when they are through using the phone sit it on the charger. Two in my office use it for their Android phones. Studdering and freezing are your experiences with a defective phone or an exaggeration. I have not seen it. Nor is it characteristic of the phone or you would see widely reported professional reviews describing the problem. It's people who use the 5 which is overpowered and underspeced who dont have experience with large format phones.

25. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

There are several threads regarding poor performance with the 6+, and polls too. Many people suffer.
    Professional reviews are by and large just paid advertisements. Either that or the 'reviewer' just has a quick play around.
    I have bought many a product where the reviewer rates it, and yet found the product to be poor. If I'm to dismiss my own findings having lived with the phone for five months because a paid reviewer rather enjoyed playing with it for ten minutes, then I'm sorry but I'm not prepared to do that.

As for wireless charging, yes your phone will keep topped up all the time but who wants to destroy the longevity of their battery by constantly charging it??