Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foamer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Some of you may remember that I posted a while back about a ridiculous bill due to AT&T saying I used a massive amount of overage minutes on my 450min iPhone plan.

The suspected problem was mostly the INCOMING calls to myself FROM myself that the bill said lasted for 30-45 minutes, even at obscure times that I know I would have not called myself.

The other apparent problem was calls showing up on my most recent bill that I know for a fact I have not made since July/Aug and early Sept (Before Sept 12th). Some of these calls are to an ex-GF, and some are to a friends OLD cell phone number that has been disconnected for three months (yet the bill says I talked to this disconnected number within the past month between 10 and 45 minutes each time!)

When calling customer support, AT&T insists that the INCOMING calls from myself were the result of somebody blocking Caller ID, or having an unlisted number. Many of these calls are listed at times I know for a fact I did not receive, let alone talk on the phone; times such as 3:50am on a Monday morning, for a 42 minute call.

They refuse to acknowledge that perhaps there could be a problem in the billing. As for the calls from months prior; they insist were made in October.

If I would have made those calls in October, I WOULD BE SITTING IN JAIL RIGHT NOW!

How so you ask?

The calls in question were to my ex-GF who had obtained a no-contact order on me after the break-up. If I would have called her when AT&T says I did, I would have violated the order 23 times!!!

Upon further investigation into the bill, I realized that AT&T charged me overage minutes for THREE incoming calls from my iPhone's number, each approximately 30 minutes in length during THE DATE, AND TIME I WAS IN THE LIVINGSTON COUNTY, MI DISTRICT COURT, in front of the judge, and beside my lawyer during a court hearing related to this very nasty break-up with the ex. My phone was completely shut off, and was in my pocket the entire day, yet AT&T charged me for 1.5 HOURS worth of overage minutes. Surely the judge would not have tolerated me talking on my phone for 1.5 hours while up on on the stand during a hearing!!!

Fast Forward to an hour ago... I received a call and voicemail from (800) 947-5096 saying that I was overdue on my bill and to make a payment immediately to avoid a disconnect. I called the number and once again, AT&T denies that there could possibly be any problem whatsoever in their billing. They insist the incoming calls from myself are blocked calls, and insist I made calls while I was in court. It is obviously either VERY bad organization and billing on their part, or an out-right scam.

I tried to make payment arrangements, since even though they overcharged me by hundreds of dollars; I absolutely cannot be without my phone due to my job. I was told since I have only been a customer for 5-months, I was unable to arrange a payment; instead I was told I must make a payment right then and there with a credit card (And be charged $5 extra for a phone payment); or my service would be disconnected.

I am very tempted to pay the ETF and get a hardware unlock on the phone and just go with T-Mobile. **** AT&T and their scams. It isn't the first time they pulled this stuff on hard-working customers.

Keep a close eye on your detailed bills people. Something fishy is going on at AT&T. I have never had a single problem with any other wireless provider (Sprint and later Verizon); but the past 5-months have been total hell with AT&T. I expected bills in the $70-80 range, not $3-450 range!

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
"The calls in question were to my ex-GF who had obtained a no-contact order on me after the break-up. If I would have called her when AT&T says I did, I would have violated the order 23 times!!!"

what did you do to your ex? that's what I want to know.

same

Reactions: Applejuiced

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA

Irrelevant. I too think you should take this to some small claims court or something, this is absolutely absurd. Big companies back down for small stuff too, so I dont think you'll have any problem getting this money thing straightened out.

Now, as soon as that's over, switch your carrier immediately!!! :)

Reactions: AlphaHumanus

Foamer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
"The calls in question were to my ex-GF who had obtained a no-contact order on me after the break-up. If I would have called her when AT&T says I did, I would have violated the order 23 times!!!"

We were practically engaged, and it just turned into a very nasty mess over posessions, etc (she wanted to keep stuff that was at her house at the time we broke up, etc..) and just constant bickering back and fourth from both sides. I didn't want to screw up her future, so I restrained from getting one on her, but she did not feel the same about me apparently, lol. They hand the things out to anyone for anything at all anymore, and in my case, I was served with one over nothing, just because she felt 'threatened' that I would try to retrieve my belongings. I am now no longer allowed to own, fire, or be anywhere near a gun or other weapon (its standard procedure, and is a federal felony if I am anywhere near a gun now). I cannot even go hunting with my friends. I have never threatened her, or even thought about threatening her, and have never caused or wished any harm to her. I was stripped of my rights simply because she felt threatened that I would try to get my clothes and computer equipment back.

I will be contacting a lawyer over the next few days (if they dont shut off my phone first!) and hopefully something will be done about this. I dont want to become rich over some BS lawsuit, but instead just want to problem to be solved, and for AT&T to reverse the charges for the calls I obviously did not make.

deimos256

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
i wouldnt be surprised if you called up and even pretended to cancel your account they would bow down and make it right for you, with this economy nobody is looking to lose revenue

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Very fishy.. I'll be honest.. I never check through all those call logs... they could be jacking me and I'd never know it.

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
I look through my bills about once every other bill. I have never had a problem luckily. You NEED to contact a lawyer. Make sure you have all of your bills so that you can sue AT&T for false minutes as well as the pain and stress in paying those bills and everything else you feel necessary.

Sue the hell out of them, don't put so much effort into telling us. Even though it's extremely interesting, you NEED to get this sorted out legally, they are stealing money from you by the bucket loads...

dhartung02

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2007
Little Rock, AR
This recently happened to me. My phone had a large amount of overage minutes, all of my rollover minutes were gone. This was unusual so i went looking through the bill to see what the culprit was. I noticed all of these calls to myself 30-45 minutes at a time.

I called and questioned about it and the rep told me she removed all overage charges and sent a note to the billing department to inspect my bill. She informed me to pay my normal bill amount and gave me 200 free rollover mintues for my trouble.

I was very pleased and surprised at the turnout of the call and left still somewhat happy to be with AT&T.....or as happy as one can be being a customer of the enemy! lol

twist2b

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
North Carolina
That is interesting that TWO people had the same problem (that I know of) I wonder.... I am starting to lose roll-over minutes FAST..... Time to check me bills o_O

Sorry to hear about all that :'(

Wolffie

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
Phone clone...

Could someone have "cloned" your phone (SIM and IEMI) and be using your account to make their phone calls?

That would be funny, (no it wouldn't) if your ex knew how to do this and gave out your info for "revenge".

Hell hath no fury...

Babiipiink

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2008
no in person you do because they couldve been helping a potential new customer

You do have to pay $5 over the phone, they tried to charge me and I said "umm..no becasue you're automated system isn't pulling up my account and I have no choice but to pay it through a rep." AT&T is a scam. They tried to charge me for usage also after I ported my number back to T-Mobile. They said I made phone calls from my phone TWO WEEKS after i cancelled my AT&T contract. They are full of it...

daisuke07

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
You do have to pay $5 over the phone, they tried to charge me and I said "umm..no becasue you're automated system isn't pulling up my account and I have no choice but to pay it through a rep." AT&T is a scam. They tried to charge me for usage also after I ported my number back to T-Mobile. They said I made phone calls from my phone TWO WEEKS after i cancelled my AT&T contract. They are full of it...

what'd they say to you after that? They want to squeeze every little dollar out of you

Reactions: Ta0jin

Babiipiink

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2008
what'd they say to you after that? They want to squeeze every little dollar out of you

After speaking to three different people and being on the phone for almost an hour and a half they just decided to credit the money to the account. I was fed up with AT&T long before then. It was funny, I cancelled my account and two days later received a letter in the mail saying that they were taking away the employee discount from the company I was with. So I called them up and said I received that letter a day before i cancelled and they didn't charge me the ETF and they refunded my deposit, because I said that they made a change to my original contract and that was the reason I cancelled. I was lucky to have all that happen i guess.

PcBgone

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
Could someone have "cloned" your phone (SIM and IEMI) and be using your account to make their phone calls?

That would be funny, (no it wouldn't) if your ex knew how to do this and gave out your info for "revenge".

Hell hath no fury...

I believe this to be the issue as well. These calls have to be dialed to/from your phone. They are billed by your sim card. Have you let your friends borrow your phone? Been out of the country recently? Have your phone ever out of your sight?

I believe it is a scam, but its a scam directed towards you and ATT, I dont think Att is the problem here...

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
I had a similar incident with Cingular years ago. I was charged $800 for data usage when I was supposed to be on unlimited data. they say I called and cancelled it, which I did, except I told the rep to cancel it at the end of my billing cycle. I argued with them till death and they took it off. next month I see a charge of $500 also for data charges. Funny thing is I didn't use any data since my last billing cycle. they said it was data use that was from the previous billing cycle that didn't show up then but is now showing up. I argued with them again but they didn't budge. I had to write a letter to their headquarters in Atlanta, then a week later the charges were removed. be careful an always read your bill before you pay and monitor your usage. Beware of Comcast the biggest thieves of all.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
We were practically engaged, and it just turned into a very nasty mess over posessions, etc (she wanted to keep stuff that was at her house at the time we broke up, etc..) and just constant bickering back and fourth from both sides. I didn't want to screw up her future, so I restrained from getting one on her, but she did not feel the same about me apparently, lol. They hand the things out to anyone for anything at all anymore, and in my case, I was served with one over nothing, just because she felt 'threatened' that I would try to retrieve my belongings. I am now no longer allowed to own, fire, or be anywhere near a gun or other weapon (its standard procedure, and is a federal felony if I am anywhere near a gun now). I cannot even go hunting with my friends. I have never threatened her, or even thought about threatening her, and have never caused or wished any harm to her. I was stripped of my rights simply because she felt threatened that I would try to get my clothes and computer equipment back.

I will be contacting a lawyer over the next few days (if they dont shut off my phone first!) and hopefully something will be done about this. I dont want to become rich over some BS lawsuit, but instead just want to problem to be solved, and for AT&T to reverse the charges for the calls I obviously did not make.

Talk about how it never rains . . . Hope things get sorted out for you soon. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.