So, There's Not Going To Be A "New" iPhone This Summer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NDimichino, Apr 8, 2010.

1. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

The fact that only the 3Gs will be getting all of the new features means (to me) that either:

A) They're trying to push everyone to the 3Gs and the "New" iPhone

or

B) There will be no new hardware and they're trying to drive sales of the 3Gs for another year

Obviously, we all want new hardware, but they've curtailed the updates of 4.0 to fit this OS, so it's not like we can expect a complete overhauled phone with a brand new OS.

I'm starting to think we're stuck with the 3Gs another year. Hopefully they'll at least hook us up with a nice camera (maybe front-facing).

4.0 looks great, but a bit bummed that there may not be a new phone.

Thoughts?

2. -Leigh- macrumors member

3. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

This is the exact same thing that happened last year!

This event was not meant to show off new HARDWARE! Only SOFTWARE!

Apple won't release details of the new hardware until the week before it launches in June/July.

There will be a new iPhone this summer!

4. GooMan macrumors regular

GooMan

I'm not sure how you concluded there will not be a hardware update (aka "new iPhone") just by the fact the OS upgrade is limited to the 3GS.

5. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I can see no reason why there won't be a new model this summer and it will probably take advantage of software features not covered today.

iPhone OS 3 was unveiled in March 2009, but there was no mention of recording video until the 3GS was launched in June.

6. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Hope you're all right. For whatever reason, I feel like there isn't going be new hardware.

7. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

I won't upgrade my 3g to a 3gs, I just won't do it. I want new hardware or I will be getting an HTC. I have no doubt that a new model will come out this summer and Apple will push the 3gs and new iphone.

8. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

There's also the possibility that they're holding back features exclusive to the new phone... Much like video was not shown last year until the 3gs was announced

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, you should check and see if there's some kind of medication to help you, because you really shouldn't be feeling that way!

10. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I'll keep my JB3G or look at the EVO if there isn't a solid hardware update (screen, camera, casing). Software wise, nothing today impressed me and I'm 100% sure I'd jailbreak (if/when that becomes available) if I upgrade to the new phone this summer.

11. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

The idea here is...

That Apple wants Apps ready for the new iPhone and all it has to offer. In my honest opinion there are being very gracious in allowing the 3GS crowd to continue to have all the new features (The 3G crowd only got most of the features for the 3GS).

I'd hold off till at least WWDC to buy a 3GS, if they don't make announcements by then, I'd say your right... But the line "We weren't first to the party, but we will be the best..." Says to me, Apple isn't going to sit back and see what other people are going to do... Apple is going to do the things it does very well and stay on top, Apple isn't going to run the same iPhone hardware for more than a year span, while others are trying to take bites out and have their 'iPhone killer' wanna be.

In summation- Wait till June.

Maybe ATT will offer tethering soon :rolleyes:

12. Macdicted macrumors regular

There will be a new iphone and it better be a major overhaul.

That HTC Evo looks better and better , but im hoping Apple steps up BIG !

Look like HTC will beat them to the punch as far as launch date too.

13. nfl46 macrumors 603

I hope Apple can AT LEAST give us a 3.7" screen.

14. Macdicted macrumors regular

I hope its at least a 4" , the HTC has a 4.3" and with the iphone next to it in comparison its no big deal. Lots of pics on Engadget.

It will still fit in your pocket.

15. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

This is my main concern--how can there be a "major overhaul" when the OS is obviously going to be exactly what we saw today?

You'd rather have a new casing and different bezel than a news OS interface?

16. galahan macrumors member

I'd bet my left jewel on their being a new phone this summer.

17. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

If there isn't new hardware coming, then there are a lot of references to random things in the new code that just don't belong ;)

18. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

There will definitely be a new iPhone, but the only thing that makes me worry about it not being a "full" update, is because 4G networks aren't due to be up and running until next year. So I can't see a fully new design and upgrade to the phone, this year AND next year (which will probably be when the iPhone gets an update so it can run on 4G networks).

Unless they revamp the phone entirely this year, and make next year's just be some slight changes plus 4G capability.

19. enberg macrumors regular

In the US...

But then, Apple doesn't seem to care about ROTW when designing products.

20. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

There will be new hardware.

This is the same pattern as the last 2 years.

iPhone OS 2.0 was announced in March '08, iPhone 3G was announced at WWDC and released in July '08
    iPhone OS 3.0 was announced in March '09, iPhone 3GS was announced at WWDC and released in June '09
    iPhone OS 4.0 was announced in April '10 (was delayed because of iPad). new iPhone to follow which will be announced at WWDC.

21. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

What in the world are you talking about?

Would you rather have a new Macbook or orange juice?

I mean, what does one have to do with the other?

22. sterling3763 macrumors newbie

remember that WSJ article that was posted last month

There will definitely be a new iPhone this summer. Reporters at the Wallstreet Journal have already given us a glimpse into what it will look like. Someone at apple confirmed to Engadget that there would be an Apple event on June 22nd.

They'll announce the new phone on the 22nd and likely have it on sale on July 2nd or so. Apple announced the 3GS last year on June 8th and had it up for sale on the 19th. They announced the 3G on June 9, 2008 and it was released on July 11th, 2008.

23. bludodge macrumors 6502

Any chance deep inside 4.0 we may learn some things about the next hardware? Otherwise I wonder if it will just be a beefed up 3GS, more hard drive space, new processor, but nothing major.

24. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Where does it say "someone at Apple" on that engadget article?

No one at Apple would dare say that.

I'm pretty sure it will be announced at WWDC.