So uh check this out

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by fireshot91, Jun 29, 2009.

1. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I can't wear a shirt because I have burns on my neck, and I had to put a special creme, and the shirt would wear it off.

So, fast forward to about 15 minutes ago.
    This girl (Call her x) wanted to talk to me. So we got on AIM. She wanted to video chat...fine, I have no problem with her seeing my body (She's a really good friend).
    So, fine, we were video chatting. Her gramma walks in the room, and sees me without a shirt. She tells daddy, daddy disapproves, obviously.
    And daddy lais a new rule "No videochatting with anyone"
    another rule: "No talking to this person ever" with this person, you guessed it, being me.

I was surprised that she won't ever talk to me. I mean, we live in two different cities, don't go to the same school.
    She can't call anybody, I barely have texts. The only way to talk to her is via AIM. It's during the summer, and she's been keeping me entertained like for the last couple of weeks.

Wow. This sucks lol.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Damn boy that's a big chunk of bad luck :eek:.
    Can anyone not reason with her father? I mean it's a long shot and might take some convincing it wasn't some strip show but it's worth a try?

3. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

lol, yeah, I plan on it.
    She has some super strict rules. No texting after 9, have to be in bed by 10, 9 school nights.
    No laptop in bed.
    Stuff like that.

She was in trouble for VIDEO CHATTING period. The me being shirtless was the icing.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

how old are you guys?

seriously if it was my computer and i was 18 and on my own id tell my folks nonya biz

sounds like you 2 still live athome though

5. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

That sucks.

Can you ask for the father to talk to you, and show him the burns via video? At least that way, the shirtless part of the objection can be overcome.

6. conch575 macrumors 6502

conch575

Jeez that really sucks, I can see where the father is coming from. The whole "don't talk to strangers on the internet" thing. But yeah, still sucks.

7. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

We're both 15.
    Yeah, I'ma try to talk to her father.

And yeah, if it was my parents, they'd believe me, but you know, she's daddy's only little daughter. And child. She has no siblings, so you know.

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

And if you live at home, the 'rents ARE the law. If she had an existing "No Video Chatting" rule, she got busted. In the future , however, lock keep out wandering grandmothers.

9. holidaypf macrumors member

Someday you'll fully understand just how nervous all this new technology can make the father of a teenage daughter. :D

10. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

11. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

12. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I'm sorry but her father is being completely stupid. No video chatting, seriously!? WTF kind of rule is that?

Don

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You have this way about you where you denounce people to being stupid. I like that about you because each time you point the finger towards someone you find stupid there are at least three others pointing back at you.

A father walking in on his daughter talking to a boy at 15 with his shirt off would probably freak any father out. Again, when you're no longer a dependent you'll probably understand.

OP: talk to the father if you can. Explain the burn situation.

14. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I can completely understand his shock. But the OP said in a later post, that her father has said that she's not supposed to video chat at all, she wasn't supposed to even before this incident, at least that's what I got from the post. And I would really appreciate it, if you would drag separate topics into this thread. That thread has no bearing on this thread at all.

Don

15. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

While it may seem unfair, and I am sure when I was 15 I would bitch and moan if my parents told me I couldn't do video chat (actually I couldn't, no built in camera in the computer I had when I was 15 and I never had an external camera). But you have to understand what the dad may think about the internet, certainly after NBC's "To Catch a Predator" one might think every guy on the net is a pedophile.

16. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Oh don't even get me started on To Catch a Predator. That was the biggest load of crap that TV has ever seen. The purpose of that show was to turn parents in to paranoid Nazis that won't let their children use the internet without supervision. God I hate Chris Hanson and his stupid crap TV show. Thank God they stopped producing it.

/End Rant

Don

17. Surely Guest

Surely

Um. Wow.

You out-do yourself with every post here.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I can see why the father wouldn't want his 15 year old daughter video chatting, but I don't think it's something to enforce like that. There are much more dangerous things than seeing a topless Fireshot... or is there? :D

Then again I'm not a father.

19. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Come on Dmac, child abduction cases in which the child met an adult or someone they thought to be their own age online have been highly publicized and occur commonly. Whether you want to think so or not, there are sexual predators on the internet attempting to prey on children.

Maybe you'll change your mind when you grow up and have kids.

20. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

This is why I bought my daughter a 12" PB.:p Video chat? We don't need no stinkin' video chat!!

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, how dare they try to catch pedophiles and get them off the streets before they can actually harm a child! The nerve! Those pedophiles are good people, it's the damn communists at NBC keeping them down! :rolleyes:

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

My guess is Dmac77 is for one very big surprise.

To be so young and so bitter. :(

fireshot91 talk to her father but video chat at 15 ... I dunno. It's a hard call. I tend to believe that daddies should keep an eye out for their little girls. At least while they're sitting at home. You can't prevent everything but you can sure as hell prevent it from happening in your home.

23. Love macrumors 68000

Love

LOL! QFT.

What can you expect? They're owned by the worlds largest corporation, GE.
    [​IMG]
    *evil music*

24. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I was pretty much under the thumb of my parents until I was 18, get used to it kid, if you're dealing with protective parents, there is no changing them, trust me.

25. tjhilder macrumors regular

tjhilder

it's summer, isn't not wearing a shirt (when you're a dude) the general thing? I'd be more worried if the girl was shirtless :rolleyes: but thats just me.