So verizon iPhone means no calling and using Internet at the same time ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tito Georgie, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Tito Georgie macrumors 6502

Tito Georgie

My friend told me this that with verizon doesn't matter if you on 3G but you can't use the Internet and talk on the phone at the same time. Is this true ?

If is true I don't understand what's the hype about verizon iPhone because that's a really let down. I wouldn't switch just because of that and because I love my AT&T unlimited data plan.

2. 1999ncsu macrumors newbie

3. MissyD macrumors member

:::sigh:::

There're no specs on a phone that hasn't been announced. There's only rumors of an iPhone for Verizon. Searching the threads will yield very detailed descriptions on how a CDMA iPhone can have both voice and data simultaneously.

4. thetexan macrumors 6502a

Well, many people don't need that feature.

While there have been a handful of times that feature would of been nice, AT&T sucks in my area so having to occasionally end my call to use data is far better than my other option of consistently dropping calls and unreliable data that goes from screaming fast to dial-up speeds.

5. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I hate that people keep citing the WSJ as a reliable source for the Verizon iPhone. They've been predicting it as "Coming this year" every year since the iPhone came out.

6. Geckotek, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011

Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I hate that people keep jumping to conclusions. :rolleyes:

Did you even read his post or the article? He's not using it as a source for a Verizon iPhone, he's using it as a discussion of the options Verizon and Apple have for implementing simultaneous voice and data IF a Verizon iPhone were to come to fruition.

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Christmas, 2010
    Location - U Village, Seattle, WA
    Situation - I'm Christmas shopping with my GF. We split up to make looking for presents a little easier, we both had to get each other something, so it was better.

*ring*

"Hey babe, what's going on?"

"Can you look something up for me? I'm trying to find a book that my dad was in, but am a little hazy on the details."

"Sure no prob"

-looking-

"Wait, would it be under Charlie or Charles?

"Oh, Charlie"
    -looking-

"And from Seattle or when you guys were up in Alaska"

"It could be from Fairbanks, or maybe Juneau, one of the schools"

"Ok, got it, it's at Barnes and Noble, do you want me to give them a call and reserve it?"

"Actually, we're going back into town, let's just swing by the one on 5th"

"Word"

-Using your (and Verizon's method) that's at least 4 phone calls with searching in between. Why would I want to take twice the amount of time on my phone that I need to? Just doesn't make any sense. Beyond that, looking up train and bus schedules when I'm on a call, talking to my boss and looking for another store that carries what we need, looking up directions for my dad when he's driving around a city he doesn't know....These aren't anecdotes, this is how I use my phone every day.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Speak for yourself.
    Many people do need that feature.

9. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Hey guys, he didn't speak for you and he only said "many".

He didn't say everyone or even a majority...so chill.

10. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

how magnanimous of you to defend this totally unnecessary thread!

11. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Not defending the thread, just one post. ;)

I agree the thread is completely unnecessary.

12. Tito Georgie thread starter macrumors 6502

Tito Georgie

Now asking a question becomes a "unnecessary thread!"

Nice.

13. Merkie macrumors 68020

I've never felt the urge to use data and voice at the same time in the more than three years I have an iPhone.

14. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

See my sig.

15. Cander macrumors 6502

Did you understand the hype when the first iPhone came out and it could not do voice and data at the same time?

:rolleyes:

16. bigrash macrumors regular

I use voice and data together all the time. Whenever my gf starts babbling on the phone, I just put her on speaker and browse the internet.:D

17. Tito Georgie thread starter macrumors 6502

Tito Georgie

That's 2007. We talking present here. I'm sure everyone after 2008 has gotten used to 3G.

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Just because you don't need it, doesn't mean others don't.

19. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Obviously. But the point they are making is that there will always be some people who are fine with not having simulaneous voice & data.

But the point is moot anyway as we all know Verizon has ways to make it happen so it's likely if we see a Verizon iPhone that they will make the changes to please Apple.

20. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Yes I read the article. The whole thing suggests that the Verizon iPhone is a foregone conclusion, thus making my original point.

21. Cander macrumors 6502

That doesn't matter. This argument was brought up by people against the iPhone when it was first announced about how it was fail because it could not do both at the same time. Trying to reapply those same arguments from the other side is just dumb.

22. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I think what we're saying is that it doesn't really make sense to have an internet and data capable smartphone and not be able to fully utilize it. I may as well just get a dumbphone and an iPad.

23. kzoojason76 macrumors member

Nope.. because some of us still don't have 3G coverage. Damn AT&T. Expand your 3G before thinking about going to 4G

24. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

You all realize that millions of people that have Verizon have been doing just fine without simultaneous voice and data for years, right (and yes, that includes smart phones)? Why do you think anything would be different with the iPhone?

I mean seriously, sometimes you really just have to use your brain a little bit.

For anyone that thinks we care that you need to be able to use voice and data at the same time - we don't.

25. Tito Georgie thread starter macrumors 6502

Tito Georgie

Now use your brain a little and think why we "AT&T users" have this feature would want to go back to not having it ? Yup, use your brain a little.