Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Did you understand the hype when the first iPhone came out and it could not do voice and data at the same time?

:rolleyes:

Simultaneous Voice and Data was a significant incentive when I upgraded to the 3G. With my 2G I would use Voice and Data all the time when I was near wifi and felt restricted when I was out of range.

All things being equal, this is a feature that would keep me on ATT.
That said, things are NOT equal for all people. There is no feature that is worth being on a carrier with poor service in your area.

Personally I like ATT, but I'm excited for the sales bump a VZ launch would create.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
Now use your brain a little and think why we "AT&T users" have this feature would want to go back to not having it ? Yup, use your brain a little.

At what point did I make any indication about AT&T users switching to Verizon? I didn't.

But guess what, there are plenty of unsatisfied AT&T users on these forums that would love the chance to switch to Verizon. There's also plenty of Verizon users that would buy an iPhone on Verizon.

Namji

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
If is true I don't understand what's the hype about verizon iPhone because that's a really let down. I wouldn't switch just because of that and because I love my AT&T unlimited data plan.

The hype is that IF the iphone does go to Verizon, the iphone will be finally used on the best network. No dropped calls, no bad reception...

Using data and voice simultaneously is nice to have but not a must have..
Being able to make and receive calls is a must have..

For me coverage is the single most important thing, let’s face it overall nationwide coverage is not important to all, however you need reception at your home and workplace etc. Many people say that Verizon’s overall coverage is superior, which has to be seen as an advantage especially as people want to stay connected with social networking etc no matter where they are.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Now use your brain a little and think why we "AT&T users" have this feature would want to go back to not having it ? Yup, use your brain a little.

Yup, like stepping down from broadband to dialup, tube tv from an HDTV, Taco Bell from real Mexican....I'm here all day :)

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Yes I read the article. The whole thing suggests that the Verizon iPhone is a foregone conclusion, thus making my original point.

No, your original point was that the poster was using this article as backing for the existence of a Verizon iPhone, which is not what he said at all.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
The hype is that IF the iphone does go to Verizon, the iphone will be finally used on the best network. No dropped calls, no bad reception...

Using data and voice simultaneously is nice to have but not a must have..
Being able to make and receive calls is a must have..

For me coverage is the single most important thing, let’s face it overall nationwide coverage is not important to all, however you need reception at your home and workplace etc. Many people say that Verizon’s overall coverage is superior, which has to be seen as an advantage especially as people want to stay connected with social networking etc no matter where they are.

The other thing is that not only can you not make calls when using data, you won't receive them either. Checking your email to figure out where that meeting is when your boss is calling you to tell you they're actually down the block? Utilizing those social networks that you're talking about when your friends can't call you? No good. I agree, not everyone needs this feature, but I go back to my original question of why you would buy a device that you can't fully use on your network. People complain about AT&T a fair amount, much of which is warranted, but better coverage at the cost of crippling my device is a no brainer to figure out.

Carl G35c

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
if its CDMA only then no.

But if Verizon is rolling out 4G phones like Sprint, then it would still be voice on CDMA and data would be handled on lte at the sametime

But I never use data+voice at the sametime so I dont care as others might

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I think what we're saying is that it doesn't really make sense to have an internet and data capable smartphone and not be able to fully utilize it. I may as well just get a dumbphone and an iPad.

Guess I should have never purchased that Treo. How dumb of me. :rolleyes:

I guess it's too hard for little brains to realize that nobody in this thread is suggesting that you switch.

All things being equal, this is a feature that would keep me on ATT.
That said, things are NOT equal for all people. There is no feature that is worth being on a carrier with poor service in your area.

^^THIS^^

NOBODY is telling anybody else that they don't need it and that they must switch to a carrier that doesn't have it. All they are doing is simply pointing out that it's NOT AN IMPORTANT FUNCTION FOR EVERY USER and that if it were to roll out on Verizon without it, many users would gladly accept the compromise.

That being said, it's very likely that Verizon will implement simultaneous voice & data for the iPhone.

The other thing is that not only can you not make calls when using data, you won't receive them either. Checking your email to figure out where that meeting is when your boss is calling you to tell you they're actually down the block? Utilizing those social networks that you're talking about when your friends can't call you? No good.

That is an absolute lie. If you don't know what you're talking about, please don't post.

if its CDMA only then no.

This is wrong as well. CDMA has options for simultaneous voice & data. It will be up to Verizon and Apple to implement one of those options.

1999ncsu

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2007
I hate that people keep citing the WSJ as a reliable source for the Verizon iPhone. They've been predicting it as "Coming this year" every year since the iPhone came out.

I said there were "rumors" and "only time will tell" and gave the link. I didn't intended for it to sound like it was a sure thing.

I've never had data and voice at the same time, so it really doesn't mater to me. Plus, I mostly use data, I don't spend a lot of time talking.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The other thing is that not only can you not make calls when using data, you won't receive them either.
You're wrong. Do you have Verizon? Did you ever? If you do now you'd know this to be wrong. I use data (3G) frequently and get texts and calls ... no issues. What I cannot do is browse the net while on a call, which is what I did do while on my iPhone and something I do miss every so often.

SophiaLee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
I don't think I've ever used that feature tbh. So if I hit the home button while on a call it won't hang up? Good to kno.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I don't think I've ever used that feature tbh. So if I hit the home button while on a call it won't hang up? Good to kno.

No, the top menu bar is green, if I recall correctly, then you can launch safari or whatever and browse. I've done it while on hold or when I needed to pull up an e-mail for reference. I've used it and miss it but I used it so infrequently that having actual cell service pulled rank over using data + voice together.

SophiaLee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
No, the top menu bar is green, if I recall correctly, then you can launch safari or whatever and browse. I've done it while on hold or when I needed to pull up an e-mail for reference. I've used it and miss it but I used it so infrequently that having actual cell service pulled rank over using data + voice together.

Ahh ok thanks! Im going to have to try that. I text 99% of time in lieu of voice calls.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC

Close, you hit the home button to pull up your home screen, then the top message bar turns green and tells you to press it if you want to go back to the call. It remains persistent across all screens/apps until the call is disconnected.

Carl G35c

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
This is wrong as well. CDMA has options for simultaneous voice & data. It will be up to Verizon and Apple to implement one of those options.

It will be up to Verizon to go to VoRa (not sure how difficult it is to acheive) and I haven't heard of this being done in awhile

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
It will be up to Verizon to go to VoRa (not sure how difficult it is to acheive) and I haven't heard of this being done in awhile

There was a new article a while back implying that Verizon was considering it.

The reason I included Apple was that they could do SVDO. I also think there would be some config on their side for VoRa. But that's just a guess.

Namji

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
The other thing is that not only can you not make calls when using data, you won't receive them either. Checking your email to figure out where that meeting is when your boss is calling you to tell you they're actually down the block? Utilizing those social networks that you're talking about when your friends can't call you? No good. I agree, not everyone needs this feature, but I go back to my original question of why you would buy a device that you can't fully use on your network. People complain about AT&T a fair amount, much of which is warranted, but better coverage at the cost of crippling my device is a no brainer to figure out.

Maybe I have some sort of special service with Verizon since I am able to receive a phone call while browsing the internet... although I can't use it at the same time.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
You're wrong. Do you have Verizon? Did you ever? If you do now you'd know this to be wrong. I use data (3G) frequently and get texts and calls ... no issues. What I cannot do is browse the net while on a call, which is what I did do while on my iPhone and something I do miss every so often.

Don't be too hard on him. While he is misinformed, I think he got that impression because a few years ago it was "kind of true" in some situations. Some phones would prioritize the completion of a data task and forward incoming calls to VM. However this was a manufacturer decision, not a carrier limitation. This was the case with at least the original 2G iPhone and some WinMobile phones from that era.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Don't be too hard on him. While he is misinformed, I think he got that impression because a few years ago it was "kind of true" in some situations. Some phones would prioritize the completion of a data task and forward incoming calls to VM. However this was a manufacturer decision, not a carrier limitation. This was the case with at least the original 2G iPhone and some WinMobile phones from that era.

It was never true on CDMA as far as I recall.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
It was never true on CDMA as far as I recall.

As I said, it wasn't a network issue. The OS on the phone simply ignored the incoming call in order to not interrupt the data task on the slower networks of the time. I know of at least one Sprint CDMA phone that did this but can only assume Verison had some also. Again this is not a statement about the quality of CDMA vs GMS, rather the OS setting on the available handsets of the era. In any case it hardly matters since everyone stopped doing it years ago. AFAIK no current handset has this issue.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.