So what happend to the 7" ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by surjavarman, Mar 11, 2012.

1. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

I thought they would launch a 7" version of the ipad like a few days ago. What happend?

No offense but why would anyone want to have a 10" tablet. It is nice to have for on the couch but even then, 13" or higher are much better options. Now on other hand when you are reading ebooks it just doesn't make sense to have a 10" inch. It's way too heavy for that. Likewise when you are commuting. 10" is just too big and heavy to flush it out in public for a quick read.

And what happened to the haptic feedback? I thought they would implement some kind of new touchscreen

2. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

Look, just go and buy a galaxy tab 7 and be done with Apple if you're so desperate for something that will never exist.

3. doboy macrumors 68000

4. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Obviously it didn't happen. Don't believe everything you hear.

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

Nothing happened to it since there never was one.

You thought wrong.

6. maclook macrumors 65816

7. Rafterman macrumors 68000

One may exist as a prototype in an Apple lab somewhere. But that's about it.

8. ARH1956 macrumors 6502

You're right, it'll never sell.

9. DS3, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012

DS3 macrumors 6502a

13" or higher?

You want to be holding a 17 inch device in your hands or something? Do you understand that you need to be able to touch all parts of the screen easily? There is a market for something like that, but a much smaller one.

And you called the iPad too heavy? What?

10" is a really good size. Good movie watching experience on the go, the right size to be able to use the touchscreen with your thumbs while holding it, good size for reading.....

The only thing I'd change about the size is perhaps to make it 16:9 or 16:10, but thats not feasible for Apple since it would cause huge problems with app formats and the cohesiveness of the app store is one of the big pluses for the iPad.

A 7 inch pad would be fine, but it would just be an arbitrary middle ground that would supplement the line not be the feature. Fine but no big mistake not to have.

10. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

That was a rumour. It never existed

Yeah, they don't sell very well at all...:rolleyes:

That was also a rumour, and is all just a pointless gimmick anyway. Why do I need my screen to feel like leather?

11. Anlino macrumors member

Next year, possibly. Don't count on it though.

12. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

13. Meever macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

I actually picked up a tab 7 to try out the form factor I sold my ipad2. Holy **** it sucked. Not quite big enough to get the full experience, not quite small enough to be pocketable. It was pretty much worst of both worlds.

I'm glad apple didn't waste valuable r&d time on a 7 inch form factor and spent it on Making a 10 inch tablet with 4g and 1080+ resolution with 10 hour battery life.

14. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

..and everything you read on the internets ;)

15. brand macrumors 601

brand

Thats why the iPad had a 9.7" screen and not a 10" screen.

16. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

Will be announced along with the iPhone 5 mid-late summer.
    Bob and Jon are finishing up the 'Magical Stylus" as we type. :apple:

17. pmau macrumors 65816

I don't understand why it was even a rumor.

Stupid show-off phones appraoching 5" or so. So why even think about a smaller iPad. The iPad is a Couch-Device, it considers human anatomy. It's not too small to be read easily and it's not too big to be impractical to use.

Its weight aside, I really do think it is a perfect device. And since others are copying the design, there appears to be some truth to it.

And I really like the display aspect ratio. Since it is not only for movies, it can handle websites and other content really well.

So: Nothing happened, it's as good as it gets for a price that generates a profit for the company who put much thought into it.

(This remark is for all those who think Apple is ripping of people. No, it's just trying to get decent money for its contribution to todays techology. That's my opinion.)

18. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Digitimes decided to build it themselves since they couldn't convince Apple to do so :D

Someone posted a link a few days ago with a 2007 article comparing iPhone and the LG Prada. That article claimed the biggest advantage of the LG Prada was the screen, because it was a lot smaller than the enormous 3.5" screen of the iPhone :)

19. Signor S. macrumors member

Based on recent scientific study, numerous new bites on the TV and Web, my plentiful (and reliable Apple affiliates), the Pope, and my logical thinking skills, all sources point to Apple releasing this 7 inch iPad on April 31 at 10:00 a.m. in select Apple stores.

20. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Nothing happened. They *never* existed.

This will teach you next time to distinguish "rumour" from "fact".

21. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

Why the hell would anyone want a 9.7" screen? Clearly 9.6" is the sweet spot. Stupid Tim Cook.

22. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Apple products are actually on the cheaper side of things IMO. $500 starting price on a tablet which will replace your $500 netbook? Yeah, that's pretty good. The iPad is a good computing device just by itself. There's a bunch of free apps which make it appropriate for most people to use without the hassle of custom ROMs and setting up stuff. Granted, you can get an Android tablet for about $300 but the problem with Android tablets that are in that range is that they have about as much horsepower as an iPad 1. Apple products also tend to last longer from what I've seen.

So for the 7 inch screen, I think it's the new Macbook Air. Just kidding, it may not even be a real screen that Apple is investing in.

23. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

Really??? I hope they never do that. One of the reasons I love the iPad is the format. the fact that is feels right no matter what the orientation.

I've tried several android tablets, Xoom, Tab, LG. The 16:9 ratio making portrait feel extremly awkward is my biggest complaint (not my only complaint by far, but the biggest)

I respect your opinion but at the same time hope they NEVER do this.

24. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You got the date wrong. It's 1 April at 10:15 am. :p