So, what type is the marriage material?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by YS2003, Jan 2, 2008.

1. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I see some people are the marriage materials while others are not. So, what would be the tell-tale sign one can fit to be a husband or wife.

Here are some of differences I came up with:

Single
    I make my own decisions on all of my purchases (including cars, Macs, and etc).
    I don’t have to support extra bodies with my salary.(it’s all mine)
    I don’t have to set aside money for kids’ education funds.
    When I get old, I would be on my own.
    No tedious family obligation (no need to visit in-laws).
    I will pay taxes as a single (no “married-couple-only” deduction).
    I can go to any night-outs with any company if I choose to do so.
    I can have a quiet night at home.
    I have to do laundry.
    Socially, I might get frowned upon when I pass 40 and am not married.
    I will get pissed when my tax money goes to someone else’s kids.
    I cannot use the family reasons for backing out of after-hour invitations from my coworkers or bosses.

Married with children
    I have to share the decision-making process with my partner (and the family).
    I have to support the family.
    I have to set aside money for kids’ education funds.
    When I get old, it’s good to know there is someone I have raised.
    Visiting in-laws during the holiday seasons.
    I get the tax deductions as a married guy.
    I may need to get permission for any night-outs.
    I may have raucous nights at home with kids and a nagging wife.
    If my wife does it, I don’t need to do laundry.
    I get the social approval that I am married.
    I don’t really get pissed off at the tax money going toward the children’s education.
    I can tell my coworkers and bosses that I have family obligations when they ask me to hang out for after-hours.

Please note the above is no where near complete. I missed out lots of other points in that comparison.

2. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

The fact that you ask such a question makes me think you are not ready for none of the both. Enjoy the luxury life you live at your parents home.

3. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

By the way, I don't live with my folks as I have been well off enough to have a career with one of the Fortune 500 companies with a good pay for my age bracket. However, I think maturity in career and family life is the totally different affair. When strangers see me, I think I am under-estimated because of my age (that, I really enjoy; then, I will go for a kill so that they would be careful next time when they see their juniors).

4. calculus Guest

calculus

I think your analysis may be just a tad superficial.

5. eji macrumors 6502

eji

If these lists are in any way indicative of your actual thought processes, you are one selfish MF with peculiar English to boot.

Enjoy your Fortune 500 job. You seem well suited for it.

6. 119576 Guest

And irrelevant to your original question, too?

Your list seems to be 'pros and cons' of being married with children; whereas your question indicates personality traits.

Either way, you can't lump everyone into the same category, as there are many many things that play a part in being 'marriage material'.

7. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

So, please post what those points are. My list is not complete (as it was not my intention to be complete in my original post). I admit they are superficial as you have commented.

Watch your language. You are reading into too much in the list as I have already told that list is just the start. By the way, WTF do you mean by "peculiar English to boot?"

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Your phrasing and sentences are a little off, guessing English isn't your first language? Not a problem, but when you don't state your location and speak fairly good English but not perfect, people assume you are a native English speaker that just isn't very good at it!

duuuuuuuude. Weird thread.

9. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

It all starts with finding the right partner.

Everything else will follow naturally.

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Taffeta is popular marriage material.

edit: You've been a great crowd....

11. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

What exactly are you asking? Pros and cons to being single or married / married with children? Or are you asking what sorts of people are "the marrying type"?

Pros and cons to everything - plus priorities and opinions change. Roll with it.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why do people care about the laundry, you stick you clothes in a machine and press go, it takes about 5 seconds. Compared to cooking/washing up it takes no time at all.

Exactly. Of course you have to be able to work out that they are the right one, and your brain isn't lying to you that you "love" them, when you don't.

13. 119576 Guest

Only if you have a washing machine. I have to hand-wash all of mine in the lake at the edge of the woods. ;)

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

:eek: I'm so sorry. I suppose if you actually did have to do that it would be very boring.

15. calculus Guest

calculus

I don't really want to go through it point by point with you, just to say this:-

- there are many ways to be married, just as there are many ways to be single

- the items you have chosen for each of your lists actually says a lot about you rather than much about what being single or being married might be like

- being married doesn't have to stop you doing some of the 'good' things in your first list. Oh, and do your own washing!

16. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

I don't think this is a weird thread. Rather, it is a good one to post what is good and bad about marriage in general.

Can you tell us more on this? I have seen many married colleagues who do not make me one of them at all. Look, each person has a different way to look at things. I look at things in materialistic ways.

17. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

quoted for truth.

I still don't understand the original question however.

by the way, you can be married and not have children, YS2003.

18. eji macrumors 6502

eji

No kidding. Your lists are like the scientific analysis of marital status by an alien who's been visiting Earth for the past week. But you do understand the concept of currency, that's for sure.

19. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

+1 on both counts.

On your second point, it helps to think objectively when figuring that out. Thinking subjectively as you point out will only get you in trouble in the long run :)

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

True. @ OP you should probably figure this out before you get married too.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Stereotyping a bit? It sounds like your writing about 1 woman. Anyone you know?

22. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

I love cooking and you just need a dishwasher. Ironing is the one chore I really hate!

On the original subject though. If you have to make a list about someone they probably shouldn't be wasting their time with you.

EDIT: I also remembered a quote (not sure who from) - "Don't marry the person that you can live with, marry the person that you cannot live without"

23. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Marriage really involves relationships with individual people, not a set of logistical questions.

24. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

You got that right. I speak that language and have been fortunate enough to have a sufficient amount.

25. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

With your Fortune 500 job and cash pile you ought to be able to simply purchase a female and she will do as you say.

*high five*

Pesky women.