So who here is planning on jailbreaking the iPhone 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LiveFreeDie, Oct 8, 2011.

1. LiveFreeDie macrumors regular

If and when its possible, of course.

I've heard iOS 5 has some features that before were only available through jailbreaking. But in all honesty i'd jailbreak just for unlimited skip pandora. That is one of the major things i'm going to miss about my jailbroken 3GS.

Till hopefully a jailbreak.:cool:

2. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

If I decide to buy a locked 4S? I would for unlocking purposes only (assuming that's possible some how).

3. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

Just make better pandora stations so you don't have to skip so much.

Problem solved.

4. Theraker007 macrumors regular

I probably will, but I'm not sure. 99% of the things I used the jailbreak for (especially lockscreen stuff) is in iOS 5. But there will always be something I need the jailbreak for.

5. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I usually don't, but if they make GLaDOS' voice for Siri, you bet I will.

6. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

Haven't had a need to jailbreak since the first iPhone.

7. Harvey Specter macrumors regular

For the sake of full customization and hopefully more Siri voices, yes.

8. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

9. LagFighter macrumors regular

You do realize there's a reason for the skipping, right? Pandora pays for each song they broadcast, so they lose a lot of money when you skip too much. Knowing that, an unlimited skip should be a pretty selfish thing to ask for.

10. PRedLSU macrumors newbie

How selfish of me to try and avoid helping Pandora make money.

11. Henry Ford macrumors member

I'll also be jail breaking for the Pandora skip hack along with a few other things such as sbsettings, Springflash, etc.

12. iBram15 macrumors member

iBram15

I think I will. Just because I'm used to SBSettings, and want that widget in Notification Center. And because the A5 in the iPad 2 has been jailbroken, I think that it won't take long!

13. LiveFreeDie thread starter macrumors regular

We can only hope.

14. vertigomhs macrumors member

sorry, but that has nothing to do with anything. the A5 itself, isnt jailbroken.

15. Bkfraiders7 macrumors member

Since when has the A5 been hacked? Comex did a software hack and not a hardware hack, or else as soon as the iPhone 4S is released it'd be jailbroken already.

Anyway, being my first iPhone I'll probably jailbreak. I already enjoy my iPad 2 being jailbroken so why not lol. SBSettings is a must and theres always other little tweaks everyone likes.

16. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

From jailbreaking, I like several things. But, if iOS 5 allows for some, maybe not. For one, does iOS 5 allow for more than 5 icons in the dock?

17. LiveFreeDie thread starter macrumors regular

I think there are people who are just too intimidated by the actual process of jailbreaking. So by default they decide they are against it.

Once you jailbreak, you do not want to go back behind those bars again.

18. Sc00tr macrumors regular

To install siri on my iphone 4. I am not upgrading.

19. iBram15 macrumors member

iBram15

So why did it take so long to jailbreak the iPad 2?

20. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

That's probably true.

If I had 5 icon dock and a way to quickly toggle wifi on/off from anywhere I wouldn't even jailbreak.

Edit: and My3G. And folder enhancer. Hmmm....come to think of it I would definitely miss my jailbreak.

21. LagFighter macrumors regular

You've got it wrong. You're not helping Pandora make money (although why shouldn't you, even if you were?) - you're costing them money for each song you play when they are providing you music for free.

I find it funny that you think you're entitled to a free service from them without ads and skipping, when Pandora has to manage what can only be enormous server bills and maintenance, plus licensing fees, just to get you your music.

Either you're missing the point, or you really are quite selfish. Please, let it be the former.

22. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

hmm I may. It's not a priority like it use to be though.

I remember with all the betas. I don't think people with jailbroken devices were able to do the over the air updates.

I didn't jailbreak since I started using beta 1 and honestly I didn't miss anything. I may but am in no rush.

23. Captain America macrumors 6502

If it wasn't for the prospect of being able to jailbreak, I wouldn't even consider buying the 4S. I'd go straight to Droid.

I NEED to jailbreak.

24. PRedLSU macrumors newbie

I don't think I'm entitled to a free service without ads or skip regulations. I never said that. Pandora can do whatever they like with their product, regardless of what I think. But I'm entitled to it if I hack it and make it that way.

I would say its Pandora's responsibility to program their product so that it cannot be hacked by the average Joe sitting at his Mac. Selfishness has nothing to do with it. Maybe you're missing the point.

25. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Well...

Like the iPad 2, the iPhone 4S has an updated boot loader that is NOT vulnerable to limera1n or SHatter exploits.

The iPad 2 has only has 1 jailbreak available for it... and it was a userland jailbreak via jailbreakme.com but was patched with iOS 4.3.4

So it may take some time to come out with another jailbreak for iPhone 4S.

Another thing that sucks about jailbreaking in iOS 5 is that you will lose the ability to get delta updates over the air because the OTA updates run an explicit check on the /Applications folder and looks for anything that doesn't belong.... like Cydia apps.