So who is NOT upgrading?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by chillip, Sep 9, 2016.

1. chillip macrumors 6502a

I was tempted by the series 2 and upgrade from my 1 but have decided to wait another generation and see what happens. Just not worth the price to upgrade. UK series 2 is £400. Would get around 150 on eBay tops so 250 to upgrade. Not worth it. Will see if 3rd party retailiers reduce it over next few months. Happy with my original launch day watch.

2. redrog macrumors 6502

redrog

Yep. For what I use it for today - the time, step counter, apple pay, notifciations - it is absolutely fine.

WatchOS3 might make me change my mind if more apps become useful,but until then.....

3. JamerG macrumors member

I'm not upgrading.

The faster processing, water-proofing and brighter screen are all attractive upgrades, but despite the fact I run every other day with the watch I always (and would always) take my phone anyway, so the GPS doesn't matter to me.

What I really want is a watch where the face stays on all the time and it works as well for telling the time as, you know, a normal watch. Once that is possible, I'll be upgrading like a shot.

4. BenSCR macrumors newbie

BenSCR

I'm not 100% sure yet, I have an Apple Watch (Black Stainless Steel, plus Black Stainless Steel Link) which I've had a year and love. I might upgrade Series 2 in a few months time. The only thing appeals to me for an upgrade is the 2x brighter screen. I think it's best to wait and see what others who have bought the upgrade think of it first, then see it in an Apple Store to compare the screen to my Apple Watch.

5. chillip thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm waiting until the Watch becomes thinner not thicker. Will see what next year brings...

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It is close but no cigar. I use a Garmin to track my runs, bike rides and cardio and always carry my iPhone, so GPS included is just frosting. Would like the faster speed but not enough. I just needed a few more additions to push me and had most or all of my list been included I would update. I will probably update sometime next year when I can get one on sale but just not enough excitement as of now especially for an 18 month improvement cycle.

• Barometer
    • Blood O2
    • Glucose
    • BP
    • Improved optical HR hardware
    • BT 5.0
    • Case redesign (just enough so it 'looks' like a new model)

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm probably not upgrading, but with the addition of the GPS, and more running specific options, I am tempted.

I'm being tempted for the Nike edition, specifically, but its hard to justify spending 400 dollars on another apple watch when I spent close to that last year.

8. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Not. No compelling improvements for me. Plus, they raised the price back up $50, so it is like an extra insult after seeing how much prices were cut and were discounted with the first watch. If I get a Series 2, it will be after everyone starts cutting and discounting prices.

9. Maui19 macrumors regular

I don't plan to upgrade for now. My AW suits me just fine, and I think Watch OS3 will address some of it's current shortcomings. If the new watch turned out to be more capable for fitness tracking and health monitoring, I would find that very compelling, but given the current watch's shortcomings in those departments, I will wait and see.

10. Ryan0751 macrumors regular

Thinking no at this time. I have the stainless steel with milanese currently. Looking at all the options for the new watch, the stainless is still the most appealing to me, and the milanese looks like my band of choice still to this day (I really like that band). I'd probably just buy a new band, because I'd want to sell the original watch with the milanese I have now and get a new shiny one for the new watch.

The new watch is over $800 with Apple Care and taxes, and it looks like on e-Bay I would net (after fees) probably around $300 for my current watch.

Even though I can afford it, that's a lot of dough for the water proofing and faster processor and GPS, and I'm not sure my usage patterns for the watch would be any different than what I have now (steps, notifications, time, maps, etc.). GPS is nice, but I always have my phone with me.

I guess we'll see if Watch OS 3 alters those usage patterns and incentives and upgrade.

11. stonefeet macrumors regular

stonefeet

Watchos 3 runs remarkably well on the og watch and is a huge improvement in usability.

I've found myself using it way more and almost never being frustrated by it

My wife is training for her first half and figured she would benefit from the gps so she won't have to carry that 6s+ with her

12. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Agreed! I have a SS and a SBSS and both are now on watchOS 3 GM. They both work so much better than with watchOS 2. As another member said, i also only use my watch for the time, Apple Pay, notifications, activity monitoring and quick text replies. Text replies in particular seem much faster with watchOS 3. Cant justify selling both these to fund a minor update. I'll wait - and hopefully a thinner design is on its way. Having only bought a 12.9 iPad Pro a few months ago, the only apple products I'll be buying this year are a couple of new watch straps and perhaps the Airpods after the reviews are in.

13. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

I actually hope they extend it to a 2 year cycle possibly putting out a "S" model at the year mark that introduces new colors and bands kind of like they did with the AW 1. After spending 1200 last night I i think I need at least 2 years before I can spend that again without feeling completely crappy about myself lol. One thing I did play through though is I always wanted the link bracelet, even for my black sport, but never got one. Now i have one so the next AW3 I can buy the SS with the cheapest band and just get my link polished like new and BOOM! new full SS AW3.

14. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Providing the connector is the same...

15. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

I'm waiting for the 3rd gen AW to see what it offers. All the improvements look nice, but not enough for me to upgrade. I run with my iPhone anyway.

16. wx4olf macrumors regular

wx4olf

I'm not upgrading - my SBSS does everything I'm looking for right now and with watchOS 3 speed really isn't an issue for me. I did preorder an upgrade for my wife since she wanted to move from the gold sport to a stainless. Unfortunately I choose to sleep in so her new watch won't arrive till the end of the month.

17. oftheheavens, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016

oftheheavens macrumors 68000

I am 99% sure (hopefully I don't jinx it) that the connector will be the same for the bands for at least another 2-3 generations if not more. They can go much thinner (which the more they put in the watch, the less likely it gets thinner) and still use the current bands. Depending on the strength of the metal and its ability to hold its lips on the connector portion it could get much thinner without issue. Lets hope our ban collections will last us years to come!
    --- Post Merged, Sep 9, 2016 ---
    you won't be a happy hubby for at least a month hehe

18. iluvgadgets macrumors regular

No, not enough changes for me to need to upgrade , not a swimmer and don't care about Pokemon Go lol

19. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

I have a 42mm Watch Sport which I bought during the $100 off sales. I have not tried WOS3, but I have heard it will be a big improvement in speed. I run with mine every other day without my giant 6P, so the GPS and brighter screen will be nice-to-haves. I already swim with mine, so the 50m rating is meh.

I like the look of the Black SS, but I will probably get the Nike version with the darkest band once the holiday sales kick-in again. I think the holes in the Nike band will help when I am running in the hot Texas heat.

TxWatch

20. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Not really planning on it although I really appreciate their addition of GPS. The reality is that I would probably still use my Garmin for running anyhow, and while the current watch is dog-slow, it rarely impacts how I really use the device - checking time, current temp, appointments, getting notifications and responding to text messages, taking the occasional phone call, etc. None of that would be markedly different on the new model.

21. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

after you try os3 you will be in amazement, it is like a new watch on its on.

I swam with mine until it shorted out due to water getting in. it is water resistant up to whatever feet but when swimming it is introduced to current which eventually will ruin the watch. Just a warning. With the 50m rating it is rated to withstand the currents from swimming so you will never have to worry about it.

I got the sport for the first version not knowing how good or how much I could integrate the watch into my daily life. It has become an essential for my days so this year I am upgrading to what I really wanted and got the black SS with link. If you really want the nike, which is just a branded sport with bands I am sure will be release for everyone soon, then get that bad boy. But if you have any doubt you like the SS then get it! We have at least 2 years till the next ones and, like me, if you get the link you can just buy the cheapest SS next version and have your link taken to a jeweler to polish and use on AW3 looking brand new. Anyway just my thought (mainly my thoughts on my purchase lol but thought it may help ya)

22. PatrickNSF macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

Undecided. I sold my Space Gray Sport last week (and my SS well before that), so I'm wearing my Garmin again as a daily wear. If the outdoor screen visibility and speed improvements pan out, I may keep my pre-order, but I'm not feeling excited by it at this point. Had it come with a cell chip (so that I could run without my phone), I would have ditched my Garmin for running for anything other than speed intervals and races.

23. srazz macrumors regular

srazz

Not. As mentioned before not enough new features to make me upgrade. Apple needs to have an upgrade program for the watch. If so, then I'd be in.

24. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I'm taking a wait and see to see for now. Hard to justify at this point. I welcome GPS but needs more to compete with real running watches. The Nike edition is a joke in that regard. It can't replace my Garmin 620 from what I see so far. But if it can load apps faster it could pique my interest. Just not willing to bite yet.

25. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I think that I'll get the Rose Gold gen 1 with the updated processor. It will match my Rose gold 7 plus. However I'll be keeping my gen 1 SS watch.