So who returned their wifi only for an LTE version?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PittsDriver, Apr 1, 2012.

1. PittsDriver macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

I am having regrets not getting the AT&T version. I initially only wanted a wifi only, and bought the model I wanted, but now I think I might return it for a 32gb AT&T model. Anyone else do the same?

2. Skygunner27 macrumors member

Skygunner27

I would. Besides resale value, I have found that the 4G model gets better reception than my previous wifi only model. I believe it is due to the plastic section of the 4G models.

3. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

Resale value is kimd of irrelevant since you're paying more in the first place.

I had considered the LTE version and have had second thoughts about my wifi only version, but then I always realize at my needs for it would be so few and far between that it would be a waste for me.

4. MR1324 macrumors 6502

i did and have no regret. bought an unlimited line off ebay and love having super fast internet wherever I am.

5. Holoshed macrumors regular

I returned my wifi to Apple and bought a AT&T 16gig open box for 565. Couldn't pass it up.

6. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

It's always nice to have the option to get online even if you're not by wifi. I remember the days when I only had an iPod touch. Whenever I used it without wifi, it wasn't as enjoyable because majority of my apps required Internet. Unless you're only using your iPad in your house or at the office, I don't see the problem with going with the LTE model.

7. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

You have to assess whether it's something you would use regularly, or if it's just a "nice to have". If you can turn on personal hotspot on your phone with 3G and connect the iPad to it, it's fast enough for most occasional use, and there's no need to pay for a more expensive model iPad and an extra data plan.

8. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

I exchange my wifi for thle lte one and haven't looked back. I bring my iPad everywhere with me, so having lte is a nice option. Plus when the jailbreak comes th first thing I'm installing is mywi.:D

9. Gilly Gil macrumors regular

I had the wifi only model. Went back to bb and got me an open box 64gb verizon lte for $663 :) looks spankin new!

10. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

I did. I had a 32gb wifi model I got at pre order, then decided to exchange it for a 64g ATT. I feel now like I'm not limited in anyway I choose to use it.

11. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I thought about it.

I have my iPad with me most places I go. I also have my iPhone with me though. Could just get a tether plan on iPhone if needed.

12. PittsDriver thread starter macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

I am a pilot and I use my iPad in the cockpit which requires a GPS. I have an external GPS but its a pain to have to plug in and make sure it doesn't fall out. So having an LTE version will help with that. Plus I need data in weird places where there is no wifi. Sure I have my iPhone and could tether, but with long days not near a charger I worry about draining my iPhone battery while tethering. I would like to be able to leave my iPhone alone while I use my iPad. I think I will call BB today and hope they have a 32gb AT&T version in stock to exchange for.

13. taedouni macrumors 65816

With the retina display, I do not see any reason why this device will not last people 2-3 years. Therefore I advise people to get the LTE version. You may not need it now but you may need it later down the road.

14. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

ummm LTE duh. That's one of the major reasons I bought an iPad (first iPad)...on Verizon. Super happy. Verizon LTE is mind numbingly fast.

15. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

This is a big reason why I changed as well.

16. sbddude macrumors 6502a

if you have the verizon one you can do hotspot already, no extra cost, and no jailbreak needed.

17. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

That I know. I chose the ATT one since I already have their service with my 4s

18. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

I did and dont regret it for a sec....LTE is amazing and allows for lots of flexibility.

19. sbddude macrumors 6502a

That makes no sense....your iphone service and ipad service are not related. You don't get a discount for having both or anything. You can't share the SIM card either.

I'd reccomend verizon that way if one does not have coverage, you can fall back on the other.

20. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Since the iPad 1 attending various events somebody with an iPad tablet will inevitably ask me which one I have.

The people doing the asking always seem to have the WiFi only version.

Just an observation.

Having the LTE gives me a usable GPS will traveling.
    Better connectivity when local WiFi is slow and swamped.
    The ability to stream during a commute.

The more connectivity I have the more I just use it freeing me from the "make sure to take it with you, sync, wait till I get back", Mindset.

Same reason why WiFi only phone handsets never really caught on.

21. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Not sure I fully agree with this statement but it does have merit. I think the overriding factor to which carrier you use is who has the best coverage in the areas you expect to use it. For me that's AT&T. I'm in Dallas. If I lived in for example, Atlanta, I would have chosen Verizon even though AT&T is my iPhone 4 carrier.

Lots of ways to look at this, but after owning an original iPad and iPad 2 without wifi, I'm loving my "new" iPad with LTE! Today's download speed was over 36mbs...Smokin'!!

22. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Exactly.

Wouldn't you want a Verizon one? So if one carrier had a coverage hole you could get online with the other device? And to have MHS on Verizon? And LTE?

I'm getting the Verizon iPad, although I'm not planning on getting the service. Just for GPS and global roaming. If I ever want Verizon LTE, $20/mo and I've got 1GB of MHS.

23. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I didn't and I won't. Still waiting for iPhone 5 with LTE support and that will be the only LTE-enabled device I need to carry.

24. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I bought myself a 64gb wifi. My budget was $700, and the storage is more important to me than cellular capability. I could tether via my iPhone if needbe

25. Golfer00ksu macrumors regular

How much did you pay for that on eBay?