So, who's not upgrading, and keeping their iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gdeputy, Mar 2, 2012.

1. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

Just curious as to who is NOT upgrading, and keeping their iPad 2. I'm sure a ton of people got the 2 recently, just curious.

I'm definitely considering upgrading, I have my iPad 2 for sale currently but i'm starting to question myself, and here is why;

Yes, retina will be incredible, but my MBA AND iMac have a lower PPI, and they don't necessarily bother me.

It will likely take developers awhile to fully utilize the new resolution, and aside from reading text (which admittedly will look better) there isn't a HUGE advantage towards the new resolution (yet).

Also, selling my iPad 2 i'm looking at nearly a 300$ loss on the price I paid initially, thats a big pill to swallow!

Again, i'm not sure what i'll do, I might keep iPad 2, might sell it, or might give it to my parents considering the loss I would take selling it.

So, back on topic, who is keeping their iPad 2?

2. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Not a chance for me , I got mined 64gb AT&T 3G on Christmas from my fiancé and on the back it says "I love you with all my heart" so even if the new one prints money I will be sticking with the 2 for awhile. :D

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

i use the ipad for reading a lot, so the upgrade was a no-brainer. i've always found the screen to be blurry (yes, i have 20/20 vision), so i am really looking forward to this.

that said, if i wasn't so big on reading, i probably wouldn't upgrade right away.

4. EmmEff macrumors regular

I'll be sticking with my original iPad. I can't afford anything new :(

5. aneftp macrumors 601

First of all I have disposable income.

Second. I normally would have sold my iPad 2 64gb a month ago and applied the funds towards the iPad 3 since I am a techie who loved greater latest.

But I got a 20 month old who absolutely loves the iPad 2. He's knows how to use it. Even figured out the slide to unlock finger swipe. And he knows how to swipe to his apps and play elmo PBS kids and Thomas apps.

So I am keeping the iPad 2 for him and getting iPad 3 hopefully for myself this time.

6. robo74 macrumors 6502

I just bought my wife and iPad2 (going to be delivered tomorrow), got in on one of those $429/free ship deals. She uses her iPad 1 for ebooks and says she 100% happy with it, but I want her to be able to use FaceTime. I understand the 3 will have a better screen, etc, but as long as she is happy..im good. I understand apple may drop $100, but with tax..the $429 I paid is a wash for a new one. Now I can take the money saved and get her the replacement seat for her motorcycle.

7. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

It depends upon what options the 3 has, but seeing as I bought every iOS device so far I probably will even if it's only a minor update.

8. thefreeagent macrumors member

I Have Decided to Be Honest With Myself This Time...

...and just buy the iPad 3 immediately. Last year I agonized about it, since I was already a happy owner of the iPad 1, but I finally caved in (after 10 days) and bought an iPad 2 anyway. I'm really happy I did, and I was able to sell my old iPad to a friend for a very generous price.

At any rate, I decided there and then, that if I was able to swing it financially, that I would always just go ahead and upgrade to the newest version every year, since it's become an invaluable tool for me.

Basically, I'm going to leave off the computer upgrades for a much, much longer time, and simply upgrade the iPad regularly. Also, I've realized that I can put off iPhone upgrades for a lot longer too, since the iPad gets so much more use.

It's hard to believe that I only bought my first Apple product 3 years ago (iPod touch) and now I'm totally hooked!

9. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

10. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Making the same decision.

I've got my MBA 13 Thunderbolt. I'm going to get a 27" iMac this summer and I've got my iPhone to upgrade.

My iPad Deuce is just fine for now and besides I'm really going to have to be a spec whore here and say that I must have a couple of things for my next iPad.

64GB of storage
    802.11ac Wifi
    Cortex A15 based processing
    iOS 7 ready

Then I'm happy

11. moderniste macrumors member

I just bought a used ipad 2 because I need it for work and can't wait for the ipad 3. My only consolation is that I got a good deal on it since everyone's selling them now. I guess I may as well keep it for a while, but will probably end up giving it to a family member and getting an ipad3 later this year.

12. joshuaginter macrumors regular

I received an iPad 2 as a Christmas gift and therefore I won't be selling it. Someone mentioned earlier in the thread about the screen being blurry for reading. It would be blurry if you read with it as close to your eyes as an iPhone. But who does that?

The only reason I would see for upgrading is whether or not Apple supports the iPad 2 after the 3 has been released. And the easy answer is: they still support the 3GS. So if the only major upgrades are a faster processor and a Retina Display, I will be disappointed.

13. DroidRules, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012

DroidRules macrumors 65816

I'm actually going to buy as many as I can on pre-sale keeping one and hopefully making enough on the resale to give one to my Dad so he can give Mom his iP2. If I don't make enough to pay for his then I'll have to fight with myself to keep it vs giving it to him. I hope they sell out fast! Faster sell out means higher prices on the bay woooohoooo. ;)

IF I can pick up an iP2 for $299 like I did the iP1 I'll do that too. The kids have an iPad but it would be nice to have one for each so it limits the fighting.

If I had an iP2 I'd keep that and get the 3.

14. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

You bought a used iPad? You might want to disinfect it!

See this thread:http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1117731

15. gigaguy macrumors 65816

I had kept my 1, but after 2 was out I wanted it. had to buy a used one a month old.
    this time around, I sold my 2 weeks ago for a sweet price, knowing I'd want the 3. If I think the 3 features are not worth retail price to me I'll get another 2 at a much cheaper price.
    I've been tempted to get a 2 now as a filler til 3 but prices are gonna keep dropping. Apple sells it for $419 refurb with a year warr. but ebayers and CL are not much/any cheaper.

16. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Honestly? I'm undecided.

Right now it wouldn't be a smart move to fork out £500+ for an iPad 3, especially if I want to get a MP or MBP this summer...

...but ever since I saw the iPhone 4 screen, I've wanted a "retina" iPad. I use mine mainly for reading, imagine how amazing eBooks would look on there :eek:

I'll see how I'm feeling closer to the day.

I wouldn't sell my iPad 2 either way though. It gets a lot of usage around the house, having more then one means that maybe I get to use mine a bit more :)

17. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I sold my iPad last week just before the official announcement went out.

My theory on consumer electronics is that I don't own them but rather lease them via self-finance and I dump them the moment I learn a new model will be announced (which, even while public info, usually goes under the rader for most) Here is an example:

I bought the original iPad 32GB + 3G for $765, inc. tax. I sold it a year later for $500. My "cost to use" was $265 or $24 per month I had it.

OTOH if I still owned it today I could get about $300 for it. Total cost would be $465 or $20 per month.

So for $48 more than just keeping the original iPad for two years instead of one I had use of a faster, lighter iPad 2. Now the iPad 2 is gone and I'm waiting for the iPad 3. I'll keep flipping like this until the iPad reaches maturity, similar to how the iPods did. At some point there will be diminishing returns to upgrading, but we are no where near that time yet.

18. moderniste macrumors member

You never know, do you? I'll definitely disinfect. I've bought used cameras before and have yet to catch any infectious diseases, so I'll probably survive the ipad.

19. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I will be keeping my iPad 2. Money is a LITTLE tight right now, iPads are not cheap, and according to the buzz about iPad 3 it doesn't seem all that impressive. Retina display? Big Deal. I think the screen on my iPad 2 looks great. A little faster processer? BFD. THe iPad 2 is very quick. Better camera? So what? I use the 8 megapixel iP4S to snap picks. Nope, unless the iPad 3 has a LOT more to offer than theat I will be sticking with my iPad 2.

20. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

I'm up for adoption :D but I'm a 315 month old...

and I have never owned an iPad but I guess I'll jump this time. Why not? it's a cool toy but I could never use it for anything I use my MBP or Mini for.

21. Solstice11 macrumors newbie

Solstice11

I got my iPad 2 a couple months ago and really see no reason to update it now. Besides if Apple is going to release a new iPad every year I may as well update my iPad every other release. Unless there is some feature that I cannot absolutely live without. :cool:

22. DroidRules macrumors 65816

So what would entice you to buy the new iPad if retina display, faster processor, better camera, new design isn't doing it for you. Please let us know what would be an upgrade worthy device in your eyes.... teleporting ability?

23. alflavor macrumors regular

I am happy with my ipad2 right now, besides it too was a Christmas gift. Maybe I'll get a '3' for Xmas 2012, or wait for the 4 next year!

24. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

For me it'll depend on everything that's new. So I might.

25. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Well, I just got my iPad in November, not long ago, so I'll keep it.
    But, I know iPad 4 will be worth the wait.................. Like it always has been.
    Maybe waterproof? All week battery life? 12MP and 3MP front, and LED Flash? Idk man, but I know the fourth one will be great, but I hate playing the waiting game. :D