So Will You Bother Upgrading Your iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wrkactjob, Jun 1, 2009.

1. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

More storage and a bit better camera.

Other stuff which is just tittle tattle EG volume control on ear buds, matt finish, an extra button blah blah.

I'll stick with my 16gb 3G.

Really there would have to be something awesome to make me sell up and fork out for an upgrade.

2. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

I'll most likely be taking the step up from my 8GB first gen iPhone. Improved camera is the push I've been waiting for.

3. iGeRmAn macrumors regular

Come on....just 7 more days to go....give apple a chance....maybe they have a reason for you ?

4. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

No. I have a 3G. There is little Apple could introduce that would cause me to go through the bother of selling it and buying the new one. If I was going to do that, that would be proof that I really am unsatisfied with the iPhone as it is (and I'm not).

5. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

I will waitr and see.

The improved 3G network card has little appeal since we can't really do anything with it. You can't download anything substantial, you can't use skype and you can't use any other VOIP client.

SO what is the appeal?

A better camera- no
    More storage- yes, but not worth the UG
    Better screen- yes, but may not be worth it

I am waiting but I think my 1 gen 3G will do me for now.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I like to wait. You know people find the darndest things and get super hyper over them. I usually wait a good couple of months.

I just want 3.0.

7. alexkelly1992 macrumors newbie

Date of release?

This next gen iphone is pretty much confirmed now but does anyone have an idea for the date it will be available to buy in stores?
    To cut a long story short i lost my iphone 3g and have no insurance so i've been waiting for the next one to release so i never had to pay a stupid price to replace my 3g, just the price to upgrade which was only £99 to upgrade from the 1st gen to 3g so hopefully this one is no more than that.

The WWDC last year started 9th june and the 3g released 11 july which is about a month so would i be right to assume that it will be the same this year?
    WWDC starts 8th june so a release date for this iphone of 10th july? something like that. Just that i'm going on holiday on 5th July and i wanted it in time for that :cool:

8. iGeRmAn macrumors regular

As far as i know pretty much nothing is confirmed besides 3.0 in "summer".

9. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I'm not upgrading from my 8GB 1st gen. If all goes to plan I'll be moving country twice in the next year, I need a phone that can be unlocked.

It even needs to be unlocked now since I jumped from O2 to T-Mobile.

10. alexkelly1992 macrumors newbie

When i say pretty much confirmed i mean that the only thing left to happen is that apple actually confirms one of the thousands of rumours flying around they they will unveil a new iphone on 8th june.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It really doesn't make it anymore "pretty much confirmed" though. How many rumors did we hear about a desktop mid-tower? Seen one of those lately?

But even still, 3.0 software or an entirely new phone ... I wait on the new phones because people (as stated) find the darndest things ... light leaks, dust, housing cracks, screen brightness issues, Virgin Mary on their home screen, poor service (because AT&T needs no more help in that area), etc.

12. alexkelly1992 macrumors newbie

Sorry let me rephrase it for everyone so not to cause a fuss :rolleyes:

It looks very likely that apple will unveil the 3rd gen iphone at the WWDC june 8th til ..whenever it finishes. If they do i just want to know what date it would be likely to release in shops? about a month later? that's what happened with the iphone 3g

13. wrkactjob thread starter macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

I think about a month later yeap, distribution and demand will control things, expect to see crazy prices on Ebay! :D

14. caf9128 macrumors member

Here's why you must upgrade to the new iPhone:

Yesterday, at the Apple store, by wife was looking at new cases for her Macbook. She looked at a nice Incase, scanned the barcode with her G1 Android phone, and the price from Amazon popped up, along with prices at all the other retail outlets in the area.

Barcode scanning is so cool, and pretty much worthless on the current iPhone. The new autofocus camera will bring this functionality to the phone.

The uses for barcode scanning are almost endless, but it's especially fun to scan the bottle of wine you ordered at dinner, and ask the waiter why the $8.99 cabernet you just ordered is listed at $40 !!

15. needthephone macrumors 6502a

Definetly as soon as they are available here. I guess third week in July.

My wife is taking my 3G. Her LG flip phone is on its last legs and she loves my iphone. So next year she will get my 4g and I will get a 5g!!

16. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I have a first gen still, so probably - I'm now out of contract and should get it for freeish.

I skipped the 3G because I didn't feel it was enough of an upgrade - this is probably just about enough

I have to say I'm not blown away by the need to upgrade though. Unless there's actually a flash the camera upgrade is actually pretty weak, and the case design we've seen might be better than the 3G but still isn't in the same league as the 2G. Sadly the increase in operating RAM is probably the big pusher.

Phazer

17. phannon666 macrumors regular

I'll upgrade ASAP, the fact that I (so long as the upgrade process is the same as last year) and anyone else can profit from selling their 3G and getting a subsidised new iPhone should be reason enough.

18. barkomatic macrumors 68040

If the only thing that gets upgraded is the 3G radio--and the newer iphone drops fewer calls-- then I'll be in line for that reason alone. I know at least two people with other AT&T phones (non iphones) that have a better reception than I do.

If no improved reception, I'll wait this one out and possibly pick up a competitor if a decent one happens to emerge later.

19. rjackman macrumors member

Why would you not want to ?, You will be getting a new phone with more features and you will be able to sell your old one for more than you buy the new one for.

20. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

Yes! Anything to get rid of this god awful glossy back.

21. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Because doing do might start your contract over since it would be an early upgrade. Though no one knows yet what the exact terms would be. It would be sweet of Apple/AT&T started letting people upgrade whenever they want without a new contract. Doubt it.

22. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

I'm upgrading to a new phone regardless. Which phone I'm upgrading to is the issue. The new iPhone will have to offer a tad bit more or the other phones I'm considering will have to suck more. :D

23. hellomoto4 macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

I'll wait and see.
    It'll have to appeal to me a lot though.
    Also, if Optus AU have an upgrade deal I'll be more convinced.

24. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

i'm upgrading. Still using the first gen, had no reason to upgrade to the 3G but 3.0 enables things that the first gen can't use, like MMS.

25. ratbatblue macrumors 6502

Doubt it. Want 3.0; not interested in new phone, especially if there's no papal dispensation to allow early upgrade at an affordable price. Have seen nothing in the speculation about new hardware features that makes me want to pay full price for them, barring a miraculously low full price, of course.