Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Which means XR is not attractive at all even for few years old iphone customers. No one wants to pay so much for a phone with old tech inside, nothing much improve. This is problem of Apple has almost no innovation for so many years after Steve Jobs passed away.
Well it’s sold more than the XS/Xs max. More than any other phone released last year so some people do want it even if I’m not one of them.

Disconnect_00

Suspended
Jan 15, 2019
Which means XR is not attractive at all even for few years old iphone customers. No one wants to pay so much for a phone with old tech inside, nothing much improve. This is problem of Apple has almost no innovation for so many years after Steve Jobs passed away.

So is it that you can’t afford the XR and that’s why you need to sit in here and deride it endlessly? What exactly makes it such a personal vendetta to you that you devote 20 pages worth of time to complain and argue about a phone you don’t even own?

Man, I wish I had that kind of free time to waste on something so pointless. That whole “having a job, a significant other, and being a contributing member of society” schtick gets in the way of it for me though. Obviously those aren’t an issue for you.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Which means XR is not attractive at all even for few years old iphone customers..

Where did you come to this conclusion? So what about the hundreds of four members in this very formal loan that I’ve upgraded EXR have spoken highly of it? Are you dismissing that it’s not attractive to them either?

I was at my cell phone carrier store just days before Black Friday, and I spoke with store manager at the time, and he said the XR was selling out in almost every single color at a time. (Which was before they were offering any trade in’s at the time.)

No one wants to pay so much for a phone with old tech inside.

Of course this is blatantly false. Because the XR includes the latest processor as the XS, includes face IDl, stereo speakers, True tone, and you’re telling others in here that ‘Tech’ is old?

This is problem of Apple has almost no innovation for so many years.

Another false insinuation. So tell me, what was the AirPods? Or the Apple Watch? Are you trying to say that those two products alone are not innovative? The AirPods will probably be one most popular accessories of all time for the iPhone, and the Apple Watch is leading the way with health measures.

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
While I have been a vocal critic of Apple’s decisions regarding pixel density of several devices’ displays, I think it is time to let this now long-dead horse RIP. We can pick it up when the next Xr, iPad Pro, or whatever is announced. Ok?

Reactions: Broadus

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
While I have been a vocal critic of Apple’s decisions regarding pixel density of several devices’ displays, I think it is time to let this now long-dead horse RIP. We can pick it up when the next Xr, iPad Pro, or whatever is announced. Ok?

The XR has a surprisingly sharp display with best-in-class color and contrast for a LCD display on a smartphone. Some may still notice the difference in sharpness coming from a Plus phone, but otherwise the XR’s display is perfectly acceptable.

/thread

Reactions: BigG94 and Peter K.

darksithpro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
The XR has a surprisingly sharp display with best-in-class color and contrast for a LCD display on a smartphone. Some may still notice the difference in sharpness coming from a Plus phone, but otherwise the XR’s display is perfectly acceptable.

/thread

Compared to the Android phones in the one hundred to 300 dollar price range I'd agree with you. However in today's competitive marketplace a sub 1080P LCD is rather rare and low end for phones above 500 dollars. Most high end smartphone manufactures are incorporating OLED, with resolutions at 1080p, or higher. If you take away the Apple ecosystem and brand recognition it's no different than a cheapo Chinese phone with an outdated version of Android.

se95dah

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2014
If you take away the Apple ecosystem and brand recognition it's no different than a cheapo Chinese phone with an outdated version of Android.

Well ok, if you take away iOS then indeed I would not buy an iPhone (XR or otherwise) and would get a cheap android instead.

purged

Suspended
Sep 21, 2018
We’ve been paying Apple’s higher prices for less hardware for 30 some years now, with complete and total awareness of why we are doing so. That’s no longer a surprising or even interesting observation to make.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

coney718

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2014
I really wanted to try an XR. Most of the Youtube reviews were positive despite the screen controversy and im not a display snob so I figured what the hell, plus I wanted that sweet product red color. I went to an Apple store to check it out first before buying and good thing I did. Having used an X for the past 8 months I noticed the difference in resolution immediately. Dont get me wrong the XR has a beautiful LCD display, better than I thought, but coming from my X and a Galaxy S8 before that it would seem like a downgrade. Side by side with my X everything looks much more vivid and brighter on the X screen. I had to check to see if the brightness was all the way u on the XR screen (it was) because it looked dim in comparison. Also lack of 3D touch is a bummer as I use it often. Haptic touch is slower and doesnt work in the apps I use it for. If you're coming from an older iPhone then the XR would be great. You wouldn't notice a difference at all. But people should definitely take a look at the XR in person before making judgments. Dont go by whats on a spec sheet.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I really wanted to try an XR. Most of the Youtube reviews were positive despite the screen controversy and im not a display snob so I figured what the hell, plus I wanted that sweet product red color. I went to an Apple store to check it out first before buying and good thing I did. Having used an X for the past 8 months I noticed the difference in resolution immediately. Dont get me wrong the XR has a beautiful LCD display, better than I thought, but coming from my X and a Galaxy S8 before that it would seem like a downgrade. Side by side with my X everything looks much more vivid and brighter on the X screen. I had to check to see if the brightness was all the way u on the XR screen (it was) because it looked dim in comparison. Also lack of 3D touch is a bummer as I use it often. Haptic touch is slower and doesnt work in the apps I use it for. If you're coming from an older iPhone then the XR would be great. You wouldn't notice a difference at all. But people should definitely take a look at the XR in person before making judgments. Dont go by whats on a spec sheet.
My wife is about to upgrade from her 6S to an XR and after playing with it at the store, the XR is very impressive IMO. Yes the OLED is better but I think I could switch and get used to the XR in no time and not miss it the OLED.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
these kind of ios version of watch and ear bud are nothing new, no way call it innovative. It is mainly just for people to show off. I have an ear bud with $10 price which can do all this apple ear bud able to do.

Stock market price is the most fair way to show if the company has future. So way it mainly drops like hell so people vote it has no future.
Totally, just like Apple's stock showed the company had no future back in the 90s. (And just like there are $10 earbuds that is the same as AirPods.)

Seems like the silliness to which this all has come down to (and really started with) pretty much shows how much there is to it all.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
720p is like the $10 earphone, some people just don't care about sound quality at all and say $10 earphone is the same as $1000 earphone quality for them, but it is not.

1080p is like $50 earphone, most of the people can feel the better sound quality comparing to 720p.
$100-$1000 earphone is like 4K, few people can tell the different but there is different.
XR with 720p is like offering $10 earphone quality with a $500 price earphone.
If you aren't planning on getting the phone, what does it really matter? There are plenty of people that really like the phone, regardless of whether or not it meets your narrow expectations or anyone else who isn't paying the bill.

I don't see why you are continuing to argue with people over their subjective opinion, as if their personal opinion about what makes them happy is inherently wrong. If it truly bothers you to the point that you feel an incessant need to try and make people feel bad over 720p resolution on a small phone, you might want to take some personal inventory and try and ascertain why what other people do with their money concerns you so much.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
If you aren't planning on getting the phone, what does it really matter? There are plenty of people that really like the phone, regardless of whether or not it meets your narrow expectations or anyone else who isn't paying the bill.

I don't see why you are continuing to argue with people over their subjective opinion, as if their personal opinion about what makes them happy is inherently wrong. If it truly bothers you to the point that you feel an incessant need to try and make people feel bad over 720p resolution on a small phone, you might want to take some personal inventory and try and ascertain why what other people do with their money concerns you so much.

This thread is 20 pages long and we haven’t been able to reach a consensus, and we probably never will.

The thing with the XR is that its best feature (loooooooooooooong battery life) cannot be tested at the Apple Store.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
This thread is 20 pages long and we haven’t been able to reach a consensus, and we probably never will.

The thing with the XR is that its best feature (loooooooooooooong battery life) cannot be tested at the Apple Store.
There is no need to come to any forum consensus. Some like the phone and others don't. That will always be the case. No one here has to justify to any other member why he or she bought the phone or wants to buy the phone. It doesn't matter whether no one else agrees with forum member X. What matters is that the people who buy the phone are happy with their purchase, even if long battery life is not a part of the purchasing decision for some people.

Reactions: C DM

agente46

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
The only reason some people are responding it to stop the non sense that people are spreading about the Xr from potential buyers. I can see someone researching about the Xr and coming to this forum as a resource. Some of this BS has to stop and be corrected in case bad advice is being taken.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Compared to the Android phones in the one hundred to 300 dollar price range I'd agree with you. However in today's competitive marketplace a sub 1080P LCD is rather rare and low end for phones above 500 dollars. Most high end smartphone manufactures are incorporating OLED, with resolutions at 1080p, or higher. If you take away the Apple ecosystem and brand recognition it's no different than a cheapo Chinese phone with an outdated version of Android.
Yes, if the apple ecosystem appeals to you, excellent support, frequent updates, etc. those are some pretty big ifs. Not to mention some of the high end smartphone manufacturers cost more than the xr.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Played around with the XR at Best Buy. The screen is fine. It’s not as saturated as OLED of course but perfectly good for most people.

Reactions: Broadus

PortoMavericks

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2016
Gotham City
The resolution of the Xr is 1792x828, which is about 62% more pixels than 720p.

However, a 326ppi LCD screen is the sort of thing only Apple can get away with at this price point in my opinion. This is not a device that is geared toward people who care about screen technology or resolution.

You should check your math again, mate.

You only count the vertical resolution (in this case, 828). If you’re adding more horizontal resolution you’re just adding stuff to the screen without adding any definition to the composition.

Think iPhone 4 and then what Apple did with the iPhone 5 display.

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
You should check your math again, mate.

You only count the vertical resolution (in this case, 828). If you’re adding more horizontal resolution you’re just adding stuff to the screen without adding any definition to the composition.

Think iPhone 4 and then what Apple did with the iPhone 5 display.

I’m counting it all because I was refereeing to actual screen space and pixel count, not just limiting my calculation to the 16:9 aspect ratio.

Reactions: PortoMavericks

milover

Suspended
Jan 12, 2019

720p monitor of course spends much less energy then longer battery time. 720p only happens in cheapest $100 android phones and xr.

Last edited:

se95dah

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2014
720p monitor of course spends much less energy then longer battery time.

I agree - the incredible battery life of the XR combined with its beautiful display really tempt me. Unfortunately I find it too large for my use so I’m sticking with my 7 but I hope to see a smaller version of the XR next time around and then I would definitely upgrade.

coachingguy

macrumors 6502a
500 posts and 3 months after it's release and this is still an issue?? The Technorati certainly must be bored. I UPGRADED from and 256 8+ to a XR 128... IMHO it's the best phone I've owned... After the first iPhone, 2,4,5,6,8+. It's fast, good camera, gorgeous screen for everything I do, pictures, movies, reading etc... I don't game much... And the battery life is phenomenal... Which I think is the choice Apple made... Screen v. Battery Life... And again, I think it was absolutely the right decision... I don't know anyone who uses their phone and thinks "Geez... I'm getting hosed on Pixels, Damn!"

Coachingguy

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
500 posts and 3 months after it's release and this is still an issue?? The Technorati certainly must be bored. I UPGRADED from and 256 8+ to a XR 128... IMHO it's the best phone I've owned... After the first iPhone, 2,4,5,6,8+. It's fast, good camera, gorgeous screen for everything I do, pictures, movies, reading etc... I don't game much... And the battery life is phenomenal... Which I think is the choice Apple made... Screen v. Battery Life... And again, I think it was absolutely the right decision... I don't know anyone who uses their phone and thinks "Geez... I'm getting hosed on Pixels, Damn!"

Coachingguy
It's not an issue.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
The engineers should be commended for the quality of the display as the color pops and the black level is good enough that it makes black content almost blend into the bezels/notch. It’s not quite as nice as OLED but for a LCD it is the best that’s been on an iPhone in terms of overall quality.

Last edited:
Reactions: se95dah and Broadus

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
720p only happens in cheapest $100 android phones and xr.

For the majority of your post(s) in this thread reference displays, AirPods, iPhones in general, you seemingly post a lot of inaccurate information without any type of links/sources. For the record, it’s an 828P display on the XR, it’s not 720 P.

Reactions: se95dah
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.