Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Do some research before blurting out misinformation. The higher PPI on the pentile OLED panel is a necessity to be good enough quality. The number of subpixels are not the same as on an LCD.

Also there is a lot more going into a panel than being “720p” or whatever you mentioned.

People keep saying the text is blurry and unreadable on the XR and it’s a straight up fat lie. This is coming from a guy who inspects new phones under a microscope for imperfections.

People catch only the surface which does not need any research (it does though) to start talking about, like Unboxing Therapy. That video was hilariously misinformed.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
I'm pretty picky about displays, and I'm happy with the XR. I went from a 8 Plus to the XR and see no perceivable drop in quality. People saying the text is blurry either have a defect, or should get their eyes checked.

I thought this YouTube video where basically everyone picks the XR as the better display over a 1080 panel was amusing. Some people even thought the the XR was OLED.

Color accuracy and wide color gamut count for something too, and 828p is obviously more than enough pixels for crisp, clear text and images.

Last edited:

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
I'm pretty picky about displays, and I'm happy with the XR. I went from a 8 Plus to the XR and see no perceivable drop in quality. People saying the text is blurry either have a defect, or should get their eyes checked.

I thought this YouTube video where basically everyone picks the XR as the better display over a 1080 panel was amusing. Some people even thought the the XR was OLED.

Color accuracy and wide color gamut count for something too, and 828p is obviously more than enough pixels for crisp, clear text and images.
That comparison is unfair. The 1080p display is a pocophone. People are seeing the difference between the panel calibration, colour and contrast ratio first, not the actual sharpness of it.
Of course an Apple calibrated high-end LCD will have better quality than LCD on a budget oriented phone. Putting them side by side makes the XR look like OLED.

However comparing the XR to an 8 Plus I can see the difference. Comparing an XR to an XS I can see the difference there too.
The important thing is while the 8 Plus and the XS are sharper it does not mean the XR is unbearable like people say it is.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Apple LCD, Apple OLED.... neither of the two exist. How about people called the displays what they actually are? LG LCD and Samsung OLED.

So many people here claiming to see no difference between a iP8 display and a iPX display. Are these people just staring at the home screen and icons? As soon as you play a high res video (1080p+), the difference is more than apparent. Text on a white page? More than apparent.

Try putting an iP8 next to a Galaxy S9, S10, LG G8 or now, the OnePlus 7 Pro.. play the same 4K video on all and please tell me how the iP8 display holds up.

The difference is subtle I found when comparing but also largely insignificant in my list of demands when buying a phone. Apart from the odd YouTube video I am not really using my phone for high quality graphics or content. The iPhone 8 has a great screen and a competitive price.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
The important thing is while the 8 Plus and the XS are sharper it does not mean the XR is unbearable like people say it is.

I had an 8 Plus for almost two years and didn't notice one display being sharper than the other. But perhaps I just don't pay that much attention and it's not a big deal to me. If I'm working with (or consuming) high resolution photos / graphics / video, I'm not doing it on a 6" display.

I still think the XR LCD looks great. And it's the perfect sized iPhone.

Last edited:
Reactions: OTACORB and Lekro
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.