Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dhershberger

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2018
Ohio
I will be in the eclipse's totality at my home in northern Ohio. I purchased a solar filter for my camera lens and will attempt some photos.... if it's not obscured by clouds.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
We travelled from Norway to see the eclipse in August 2017, having a nice roadtrip (more or less) around Wyoming, and watched it from Shoshoni, WY:

F2F2A2F9-0E24-4280-AE78-341C66385751.jpeg

I really, really wanted to travel to this one, too, but it would be difficult (for both of us) to get off work.

Hopefully we'll be able to go to southern Spain (or possibly somewhere in northern Africa) in August 2027, for the next (relatively accessible) big one. :)

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
Well I've changed my travel plans to Austin due to inclement rain. Diverting to Cleveland which is listed as mostly sunny.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Anyone able to get into the thin strip of totality with likely favorable weather should make best effort to do so. The experience is dramatically different than ALL of the partial eclipse territory and worth the time & trouble. Even 9X% is not remotely the same experience as 100%.

Partial is interesting to see a "bite" out of the sun, but those in the totality strip see that too (and the bite just keeps getting bigger and bigger). The experience IN totality is (if you can appreciate the very carefully chosen cliche) night & day. It's not just the sight of it- which is amazing (and the only way you can go glasses-free for an unfiltered look) but also the whole world feels different for a few minutes. Your EARS will notice. You will feel the temperature change. The environment will immediately react. Etc.

Having experienced it in the last "Great American Eclipse," if I was within about 300 miles of the strip, I'd make the journey to get in that strip. I'm about a thousand miles from it this time but I was still very tempted to do it again.

If you've ever seen Grand Canyon in person, IMO it's analogous to that. Yes, you've seen fantastic pictures of totality, so you know exactly how it looks in pictures. But when you see it in person with your own eyes, you realize that perfect pictures missed a LOT. What exactly? I don't know... but you will- as I do- if you go see one in person.

Also, big suggestion: while everyone seems to want to get a picture or video of it (and I did too, and succeeded in getting a "pretty good" pic & video), my advice is to leave that to the pros and enjoy those fleeting moments with the biological stereo "cameras" built into your head. The prime time passes so fast and I would not waste any of it again trying to capture a photo or video when I can download a thousand better ones AFTER the event. Instead, I'd just fully enjoy it with my eyes for those very few minutes the big show is on.

If you want to try anyway, I'd rig up the tripod and just run the camera(s) on their own so I don't have to do anything but look with my own eyes and then turn off the camera afterwards.

Many people go for the eclipse selfie, which has them looking in the opposite direction 🤪 and- since the flash will need to flash- almost guarantees a poor combo shot anyway. IMO, consider faking it: take a selfie at the right angle at dusk, chop yourself out of it and then lay yourself into a fantastic shot of totality. Again, there are only minutes to directly view this thing. Looking in the opposite direction for some of that time trying to take a near impossible shot (that comes out looking good) is probably a time waster for most people. If there's ever a selfie to fake, it is probably this one.

The overall event from begin to end is MANY hours... so be prepared to pass the time until those prime few minutes of totality. If you have kids, they will need things to do. Else you are asking them to sit around bored for a very long time. Have food & drink handy. Assume nothing is available local because all of the tourists could buy out all of the local snacks/drinks by not knowing to bring it with them. Assume you are sitting on a patch of ground (bring your own seating vs. assuming some will be available to you).

Assume big crowds even if you pick some seemingly remote spot (even the deepest, lost, secret fishing hole spot will prove to not be so secret for this). Get "there" early because "early bird gets the worm." Assumptions like "plenty of parking" fly out the window. Big state & national parks that "no one ever visits" will CLOSE to more people because they are beyond full many hours before this event. In the last one, we went crazy early (7 hours before totality) to a park that typically got 12-50 visitors a day and almost didn't get in because all parking and overflow was almost full.

Location facilities made to handle 20-100 visitors per (typical) day will be overrun by hundreds or thousands (AKA bring your own TP and hope every toilet is not clogged if you need one). Exploiting entrepreneur types will be selling drinks that will make airport prices seem like bargains- so bring your own and plenty of it.

AND, there is the evolving spectacle of the sun slowly being eclipsed, then totality, then the same show of the sun being slowly exposed again after totality. Most are ready to go home right after totality ends. Since there will be enormous traffic, think about how to hang around for the other side of the Eclipse too... so the traffic can thin out. You'll probably have a better time doing something you've planned at the chosen site vs. sitting in endless traffic with everyone else during the same window of time. Traffic won't just be the people you've seen where you go but all of the other people who went to all of the other places flooding into the same roads at the same time... a gigantic, flash flood of cars if you will. Pile into that massive herd or 'think different.'

Lastly, if you have kiddies (or foolish friends), PREACH the gospel of no looking at the sun without the proper eclipse glasses. Even quick peeks is a very dumb idea (but people will be doing it anyway). Be sure the children (and fools) understand that they should NEVER look without the glasses (except in totality)... not even for a few seconds. While the quick peek approach can seem to cause no harm in the present, it may eventually manifest in eye decay later. And looking through some cloud cover is NOT equal to looking through the glasses, even if eyes don't feel the burn through the cloud layer. So try to police this best you can... especially with those who may not know better.

To those watching it, enjoy the greatest astronomical show on Earth. To those able to get in the totality zone, prepare for an almost religious-level experience you'll never forget.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Fantastic post, @HobeSoundDarryl, with much sound and sensible advice; thank you for it.

Yes, I am very much looking forward to the eclipse, - I always follow such things with interest, but, here in Europe, (as @decafjava has already observed) we will not be able to enjoy the awesome spectacle of a full solar eclipse.

Reactions: decafjava

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Mark your calendar for Aug 12, 2026, when a total eclipse will cross Spain... and then again in very southern Spain (and all across north Africa) on Aug 2, 2027. After that, it appears it will be a LONG wait for totality in Europe again.
I'm aiming for the latter.

The one in '26 will be much shorter, and be very late in the day, and - even if it's usually sunny in Spain - the chances are MUCH better the further south you get, and the one in '27 has a much longer duration, and will be visibly in more favourable locations, weathervise...

Compare:
- 2026: https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/2026-august-12
- 2027: https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/2027-august-2

Edit: Would be awesome to see the '27 one in the Karnak temple in Luxor, where the totality lasts more than 6 minutes, but I fear that will be overcrowded and excruciatingly expensive...

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
but also the whole world feels different for a few minutes. Your EARS will notice. You will feel the temperature change. The environment will immediately react. Etc.

Yes it does and I didn't like it one bit. I was messed up the rest of the day.

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
I have seen only partial eclipse, where shadows disappeared. This will be something very different for those of you experiencing it.
You could try to look at the eclipse by using something like your phone as a mirror. As others said. Don't look at the sun directly, even at 90% cover. With a dim mirror image, it is a lot easier to see how the sun is covered by the moon.

I would also suggest, if you are somewhat familiar with the star constellations.
Now you will have the perfect opportunity to witness for yourself that the sun is not in the same constellation as the Zodiac, like astrology teaches.
Because of a phenomenon called the precession of the equinoxes. They say it is in Aries. But the actual star constellation will be Pisces. Aries isn't so easy to spot if you are not familiar with the stars. But Taurus should be easily identifiable with the red eye of the bull, Aldebaran. And Gemini, with Castor and Pollux.

Have fun and enjoy such a rare event !

Last edited:
Reactions: bousozoku

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Reactions: Chuckeee

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I will be in the path of totality, but I plan to travel about 45 minutes from my house to get to an even better (longer) eclipse.

I watched one total eclipse in 1991, I was 11 and I still remember it vividly. One of the best experiences I’ve ever had.

Reactions: Chuckeee

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
I haven't witnessed it myself. But I assume it will be complete darkness, and not like like dawn or sunset.
Because the atmosphere isn't lit up by the sun's rays. Right?

Jonnod III

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2004
I haven't witnessed it myself. But I assume it will be complete darkness, and not like like dawn or sunset.
Because the atmosphere isn't lit up by the sun's rays. Right?
Not complete darkness. Non totality can be seen all round you, a bit like a 360 degree sunset. As totality happens it takes your eyes a short time to adapt, so it feels like it is complete darkness. Until your eyes adapt.

Reactions: Huntn and Regulus67
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.