Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Like I said, dead center:

Screenshot 2024-04-07 at 2.37.42 PM.png

Jonnod III

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2004
We are 8 miles from you, about 5 miles from the centre line, which, for us, is in a river/lake.

Waiting for a weather miracle.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This morning in East Central Texas at 8:15am it is overcast and darkish due to cloud cover. I’ll make a comparison at 1:30ish this afternoon.

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California
I think it's interesting, but it's not worth spending $3000 on, yeesh. The last time there was a partial eclipse here I remember seeing the crescent-shaped shadows of leaves on the sidewalk. To me that was more interesting than staring at the sun.

Too bad we're not getting the full eclipse here in California; we could actually appreciate it since the weather's supposed to be perfect today.

• Sad
Reactions: Huntn

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
This morning in East Central Texas at 8:15am it is overcast and darkish due to cloud cover. I’ll make a comparison at 1:30ish this afternoon.
Weather channel predicting cloudy☁️ for the rest of the day, with a bit of rain⛈️ right around eclipse time.😭 The thing I'll be seeing is the sky darkening for a few minutes. This is why I call nature a mother--😒

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

IMG_0073.jpeg
1:30ish this afternoon eclipse time, it is overcast and darkish due to cloud cover, it almost approached dusk, but virtually identical to this morning at 8:30am with cloud cover. We are in the 95% path. Even though I could’nt see the eclipse happening as in the sun itself turning dark due to clouds, my guess is that you need to be in the totality zone to be impressed. 🤔

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Nermal

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
we had 35-40% coverage here in CA, it was still cool to see, and feel the lower intensity of the sun. Sky was perfectly clear

Reactions: bousozoku

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Clouds parted briefly during totality in Dallas burbs. Got about 1-1.5 minutes of unobstructed viewing.

Was like night outside. Houses with light sensors turned on their nighttime outdoor lighting. Saw two groups of what I believe were hawks acting strange pre-totality: a bunch of them circling around in a large group (~20). Might have seen a couple of bats whiz by.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Buffalo NY - 100 percent cloud cover, (as usual) didn't see a thing. The only cool thing was the abruptness from light to dark to light. And it got real dark.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Buffalo NY - 100 percent cloud cover, (as usual) didn't see a thing. The only cool thing was the abruptness from light to dark to light. And it got real dark.
Man that sucks. I am in Nashua NH and we only got ~95% partial with hazy light cloud cover but I would still rather that than overcast and totality. I was thinking of traveling to my alma mater in Potsdam, NY since they were also in totality but I decided work was more important 😢. It looks like heavy cloud cover there today anyway.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
We had perfect weather for it, and were right in area of totality. I took the day off work & it was really cool to see. Like @HobeSoundDarryl said, it's kind of an all around experience. We were fortunate to see it right from our backyard, but it is more than just seeing it. It starts to get cooler, and the birds stop making noise. I was surprised at how light it was at like 1-2 minutes before totality & how dark it got so quickly. Also surprised that it wasn't total pitch black.

And also a little surprised at how quiet it got, like no one and no thing made any noise during totality. Pretty cool to see. Also cool to look at it during totality without glasses. I was wondering if I would know when I needed to put the glasses back on, but it was super obvious.

Once it got to be a few minutes until totality, I just watched it constantly & you could actually see the moon moving across the sun's path. Definitely one of the coolest things I've seen in my life.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
I live in Ohio so I didn’t have to travel too far to get into the path of totality. Was my second time. I traveled all the way down to South Carolina for the one in 2017. The next in the continental U.S. isn’t for another 20 years.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
1712672134992.jpeg

I ran around the house looking for my solar filter for my Nikon D50 (then realized I can't find the D50's battery charger). So this is taken using Halide on my iP14P. I think we ended up with 70% covered. It was noticeably dimmer outside.

I have some more photos but that is what I posted to FB and could easily grab.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
How often does a total solar eclipse happen?

On average, a total solar eclipse happens every 18 months, but there's often just less than a year between them.
According to a paper published in 1982 by Belgian astronomer Jean Meeus, a total solar eclipse occurs in the same place on the planet once every 375 years, on average

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.