Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
i can wait for a month, and get the one with new features. i am really liking the new features such as more ram, powerful cpu and sdhc slot.

its all about personal preference.

A month? Release date was april, I dont think apple is going to release before that.

Wich means more like 3 to 4 months.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
i can wait for a month, and get the one with new features. i am really liking the new features such as more ram, powerful cpu and sdhc slot.

its all about personal preference.
True it is about personal preference, but you'll not be waiting a month, but probably 2 to 3 months. Apple will not be releasing an iPad in Feburary, or even in march but most likely april.

My question is that you want more ram, a powerful cpu and a sdhc slot. Were you running out of ram? Did you notice performance issues from the existing iPad?

I'm not trying to be harsh, but more ram, and a faster CPU are only an advantage if you need those resources. FWIW, I don't think the iPad was running of ram, and I've not really seen too many people complain about the performance. So waiting 3 months for features that you'll not fully leverage may have been the wisest move.

I mean if you did not sell your iPad until late march, sure you'd not get as much but you'd be able to use it, then when apple announced the iPad 2, you could see that actual features and line them up with your needs.

dstrauss

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2008
This all feels like the iPhone 3 to 3Gs transition to me. From my seat, NONE of the announced tablet alternatives (including Galaxy Tab 2, Xoom, Playbook, and Touchpad) beat the existing iPad, other than SD or microSD expansion support and built in video out. So what is Apple's incentive to substantially overhaul the iPad this year? From what I have read, a higher resolution screen won't be coming until 2012. They are likely to add some form of memory card support (likely SDXC), BUT that will not be like the SD card support on the Android and Windows 7 because Apple has not enabled a full file system for the iPad.

My money is on this time next year when Apple does an iPhone 4 type makeover of the iPad (liquid metal anyone?) with 2x video; Qualcomm chipset for universal connectivity; 128gb SSD option; mini-displayport; Apps run across the entire platform from iPhone to iPad to MacBook Pro.

So let it be written, so let it be done! :D

MikeDTyke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
Heck, I just bought a new one, and I have no plans on buying an iPad 2.

The rumors are firming up to the point that the iPad2 is going to be a minor update. Addition of a 1mp camera (maybe higher), maybe a bump in ram and processor but thats just about it. The hope that we'd see a retina display has gone by the boards.

Personally, my iPad is working great for me, and I see little reason to sell it now, do without it for 2 - 3 months and then get an iPad 2 with just a minor update.

The only firm rumour there ever was, was published by Gizmodo last year when they got a prototype iPhone in their grubby little hands. I hope that your belief that you won't want the iPad2 works out for you.

BTW the iPad feels chronically low on ram when you compare it with an iPhone 4.0 so i would feel that was a material upgrade on the current one.

Personally, i'll sell mine at the end of Feb, as i think the announcement will appear in March along with the iOS 5.0 preview with delivery start of April. That way i'm only without it a month and i should still be able to get a very good price for it.

:D

Tunster

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2009
This all feels like the iPhone 3 to 3Gs transition to me. From my seat, NONE of the announced tablet alternatives (including Galaxy Tab 2, Xoom, Playbook, and Touchpad) beat the existing iPad, other than SD or microSD expansion support and built in video out. So what is Apple's incentive to substantially overhaul the iPad this year? From what I have read, a higher resolution screen won't be coming until 2012. They are likely to add some form of memory card support (likely SDXC), BUT that will not be like the SD card support on the Android and Windows 7 because Apple has not enabled a full file system for the iPad.

My money is on this time next year when Apple does an iPhone 4 type makeover of the iPad (liquid metal anyone?) with 2x video; Qualcomm chipset for universal connectivity; 128gb SSD option; mini-displayport; Apps run across the entire platform from iPhone to iPad to MacBook Pro.

So let it be written, so let it be done! :D
Common sense here :). That's what I think and a lot of people have poo-poo'd the idea thinking Apple will be going al guns blazing. They'd only do that if they want the iPad 2 to last 2 years. Economically, it's a no-go for those sorts of parts you list for the iPad 3.

I have no urge to sell my iPad. It isn't like a phone where you gain substantially from the new features. Although, there will be half that will view the iPad as a computing device and keep it. The other half, dump it and change it (like a mobile phone).

As long as iOS 5 (or 4.5) has big improvements and isn't compromised, my iPad will get 2 years of life.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Where is all this "need" an iPad coming from? The OP didn't say he needed it.

He bought one and played with it and broke even since he put the protector on it and sold it.

I really doubt the majority here "need" an iPad unless it's required for work or school like a school here in TN will.

Good to hear all the people passing on it though. Should make it pretty easy to get one;)

troyhouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010

He bought one and played with it and broke even since he put the protector on it and sold it.

I really doubt the majority here "need" an iPad unless it's required for work or school like a school here in TN will.

Good to hear all the people passing on it though. Should make it pretty easy to get one;)

very well said...

people are just too eager to jump to conclusion.

blueraja

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2010
I hope more people start doing this...i'd love to upgrade to a 64gb from my 32gb. My kids all want one so I'd love to pass mine on to them. I have no interest in a camera on an ipad though so unless there is some mind numbing performance boost I dont see myself buying an 2nd gen...but I'm hoping that it will cause a flood of cheap 1st gens on craigslist.

Stoutman11

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2010
I actually just bought mine.. 32gb wifi. This month in fact from the refurb store and will be keeping it until the ipad3 at least.

forcetactic

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010

Well put. People here act like they'd die if they didn't have an iPad for a few months :D

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Loving my iPad too much to part with it, maybe I'll think about moving on when the iPad 3 Rumors are rampant.

And pretty much because I'm guessing the iPad 1 won't be able to use half the features of whatever version of iOS is out.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
I still haven't decided on if I'll get an iPad2 or not. It seems like all the rumors are being squashed. I was excited, not so much now. I'll have to wait to hear the offical announcement but if all Apple does is slap a camera on it and call it good. I may pass.

I do like the 7" form factor so I may give the PlayBook, Tab2 or WebOs a look. Maybe wait and see if there is a 7" Xoom the $800 10" is a little more than I'm willing to pay. I'm techy enough that tweaking a device is no problem for me.

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
I adored my iPad but there are some features that it doesn't have that I'd like. I don't know what features iPad 2 or 3 or 4 will bring, all I know is I lose less money selling the current generation iPad on as opposed to selling a previous gen iPad on. For that reason, I sold my iPad and am ready for 2. I'll do the same with 3 and 4 etc. It minimises cost for me.

bmat

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2004
East Coast, USA
I wouldn't sell mine. I use it far too much. Every day at work, all the time for everything from surfing to accessing work on the go. I could do some of is with a laptop or computer but it wouldn't be as convenient. So while I think I will by an iPad 2 right away, I'm not willing to go several, perhaps as many as three to four without one.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
I'm still contemplating it, but if i do, i think I'll be getting a MacBook air 11.6". The only detriment (to me) is the battery life, but i think the other things it adds are worth it. We'll see.

eye

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
Detroit
I'm glad that i buy things to use them instead of because I have to have the newest thing out just because it has a rear facing camera that I'll never use.

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
I'm glad that i buy things to use them instead of because I have to have the newest thing out just because it has a rear facing camera that I'll never use.

If you have a specific feature in mind that you're looking for, it's worth upgrading for a few cycles (if the reasonable feature will come about in only a few cycles that is). Selling current gen and buying next gen with that money is going to cost me a lot less than waiting another year for a retina display then dropping £500 on one. Forward thinking :)

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
I'll sell my 1st gen and get a 2nd gen when they come out...because I can, and because I want to. I buy new cars every single year like this too, because I can, and because I want to. Having to find a hundred or so quid each year to fund a new iPad is hardly breaking the bank.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I use the hell out of my iPad. I, too, will probably upgrade to an iPad 2 when they come out (depending on features, I suppose - if there's not much compelling then I wont), but I couldn't go without for another 3 months.

eye

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
Detroit
I'll sell my 1st gen and get a 2nd gen when they come out...because I can, and because I want to. I buy new cars every single year like this too, because I can, and because I want to. Having to find a hundred or so quid each year to fund a new iPad is hardly breaking the bank.

Bling Bling.

lil-wayne-cash-money.jpg

silroc

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2010
OP is a little bit bragadocius, so i see the light flaming he is getting as legit....

but on the other hand, NO ONE NEEDS an iPad- not even the dude who uses it 24/7.....

what did we go 2009 years AC without one??

come on fanny boyz... try to be a little wiser

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
This looks to be a pretty good rumor
http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._ipad_2_components_5_million_unit_supply.html

Basically the iPad2 is going to have a new thinner antiglare screen but no resolution change.
It will have a dual core ARM9 cpu running at 1.2 G and the new SGX543 dual core graphics technology which is 200~300% more powerful than iPhone 4.
It will have a front camera and a 1megpixel rear camera and 512Mb ram

I think that is worth upgrading to.

Last edited:

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
iPad 2 has just enough features to look iPad 1 outdated a bit, but still... iPad 2 is no where near compelling upgrades like apple did from iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4.

I have no intention of upgrading iPad every year. I love iPad very much and I don't want to be parted from it. Maybe few days, but not few weeks.

The only absolute way apple can make me upgrade my iPad is one of these two things.

1. My iPad is so outdated and apple will stop supporting it with new OS. In other words, they won't give me software updates. Usually happens after 2 years like iPhone and iPod touch. No idea how it will work on iPad, but I expect similar results.

2. Retina Display with powerful Graphics card and Ram. Most likely won't happen until 2012.

Dual core is on iPad 2? Probably. Is it going to matter this year? Probably not so much because the developers will always want to sell more softwares and they will try to make it compatible with both iPad 1 and iPad 2. iOS 5.0 is almost guaranteed to work on iPad 1. I expect this iPad to even get iOS 6.0. So unless I want to video chat, I will not be buying iPad 2. (I don't want to face time on iPad. I use iPhone or MBA)

Waiting Waiting Waiting until iPad 3 or 4. I will be very happy with my iPad until then because I am getting 11.6 MBA this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.