Sold iPhone 5 on eBay, possible scam?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by airflite40, Oct 16, 2013.

1. airflite40 macrumors newbie

I sold my iPhone 5 on eBay, buyer was from Russia. I know red flag, but they paid immediately, so I rolled with it.

I sent the phone out via USPS priority international, with insurance and tracking number on 9/30. Quoted shipping time was 6-10 business days.

Per the tracking it still has not been delivered. The buyer has opened a case with Paypal, and Paypal has put a hold on my account.

I called USPS and opened a case to track the package down. Per USPS, once the package hits customs, the tracking information might be delayed or sometimes not updated to show it was delivered.

I'm worried that the buyer was counting on this and I won't be able to prove that the iPhone was actually delivered.

What are my options? I have the IMEI of the iPhone, is it possible to blacklist the IMEI so they cannot use the phone?

2. g4manimac macrumors 6502

This is why I don't sell out of the country,as for me I had to contact usps about a case that was opened on me saying it wasn't delivered when it indeed HAD been delivered it just wasn't showing on the tracking website so they updated it for me to help me with the case so hopefully it will eventually get updated or they can find it.When you pay for tracking you are PAYING for this information to be readily available to you,how much insurance did you put on it? How was the buyers feedback you can look at the feedback they have left for others and if it's full of negatives you know you've got a scammer on your hands otherwise it may actually be taking a while I have had something coming from New Jersey to Arkansas and it took 3 weeks

3. TheBigKing macrumors 65816

TheBigKing

Rusia it's a full of scammers! never sold to that countries

4. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

This is why in the 10 years I used to sell on eBay, I only shipped twice overseas. The first time was a watch to Germany and that went smooth. The second time I did, it was a guy from Australia who begged me to ship it as he said he has been looking for that item for a long time. He claimed he never got it and I lost $300. Since then I vowed not to ship overseas. Plus many overseas buyers are scammers and out to scam since they know it's hard to prove delivery.

5. joeshmo2010 macrumors 6502a

Never ship internationally. Ever. ESPECIALLY russia.
    Or nigeria :rolleyes:

6. SantaRosa2.2 macrumors regular

SantaRosa2.2

Did you use eBay's new global shipping program? You apparently are only responsible for getting the product to their distribution center. Once it gets to the distribution center eBay takes responsibility from there. I've shipped quite a few things overseas and have had good luck using this new program.

7. mknlb50 macrumors newbie

You're pretty much screwed if you can't prove that the package has been delivered. I've seen many buyers win Paypal cases like this even after they've received the item.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, like the others said it was a very bad idea shipping it international.
    If it got lost or stolen in transit you're eating the loss. And Russian customs are well known for making things disappear.
    I don't think USPS insurance would cover it but you can try talking to them. I heard of many situations with people shipping iPhones to Russia and getting shafted.
    Next time sell domestic only and even that is very risky with eBay. Tons of people trying to pull scams lately and get a phone for free.
    Also nothing you can do with the imei as far as blacklisting it since it won't matter if its used in Russia.

9. SantaRosa2.2 macrumors regular

SantaRosa2.2

10. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Don't sell to foreign countries!

You may be SOL on this one.

11. iosuser macrumors 6502a

I shipped a Kindle e-reader to Russia last year. The buyer contacted me, 3 MONTHS later, that he never received it. I sent him pictures of all my shipping documents, and I think he was able to confirm that his customs office had the package. I haven't heard back from him so I assume he got the package. The USPS tracking status was never updated.

USPS' 6-10 days shipping estimate is to reach Russia. There is no telling how long it might sit at the customs office.. Since tracking information sometimes doesn't get updated, he can definitely use that against you..

12. nox5 macrumors 6502

USPS insurance does not cover cell phones because they are restricted items to ship to Russia (old rule not updated on USPS yet and still enforced)

To be covered by PayPal seller protection against credit card charge backs etc. you need online signature confirmation (FedEx UPS DHL) for items over $250. Delivery confirmation, registered mail is not enough. Sometimes signature is available on line when shipping with USPS Express but not guaranteed.

I sold 100's cell phones all over the world. I had scammers in Australia (Asians) and Canada (Arabs) but always got my money back by following these rules and few others.

Now there is eBay global shipping center but for expensive cell phones international buyer would pay very high fees so usually they don't buy and phones end up sold domestically.

13. CEmajr macrumors 601

Your package probably got stolen. It's a strong possibility. Russia is one of the most notorious countries for high value electronics being stolen by their postal employees. I've been selling iPhones on eBay for about 3 years now and used to ship to Russia back in the day. Had some packages arrive to the buyer with sand in the package or a wristwatch and my iPhone gone. You'll be fully liable too because usps insurance doesn't apply and no third party company will insure packages to Russia.

Lesson
    NEVER ship electronics to Russia.

14. aluren macrumors 65816

I got burned selling my iPhone 4S on ebay and shipping to Russia last year. Buyer claimed they never received it... Couple weeks go by and I got a USPS delivery package notice, not knowing what it was and went to the post office to pick it up.

Turns out it was my iPhone that was "refused" by Russian customs. Right when I got the package, it felt extremely light and I knew right away the iPhone was not in there. So I told the USPS clerk and opened it right in front of her. I was right. We ended up talking to the manager and got her to validate my loss.

I had USPS insurance, filed a claim, and they did cover the loss, contrary to other posts. But yeah, definitely don't ship to Russia.

15. airflite40 thread starter macrumors newbie

man this makes me sick.. I'm not one to be naive, but this sucks. I've sent lots of packages to Poland to my family without any problems via USPS, tracking was always accurate.

Anyone have experience getting an IMEI blacklisted?

I was thinking that I should have wiped the iPhone and set it up as a new device with generic info and put a passcode on it with a lock screen photo saying something like "if you stole this phone I will find you" or "to unlock this phone email xxxx" that way even if they try to wipe the phone it will be useless. Also, if it actually makes it to the buyer I will know because they will have to ask me for the passcode.

16. 960design macrumors 68020

That would have been brilliant. Update to iOS7, then lock the device with a passcode and an activation lock. Hilarious! Would be criminals would get the hint pretty quickly. Well at least until they figure out how to 'jailbreak' the activation lock.

17. itegypt macrumors 6502

itegypt

I sent things to china years ago and it always took forever at their customs end so you may hear a good news in the next couple of days I also found this here http://www.ebay.com/gds/Shipping-to-Russia-How-to-Make-it-Safe-/10000000008329630/g.html also

18. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

As far as I know blacklisting only applies to your country. They still don't share a database.

If you can't prove it's arrived then paypal will side with the buyer and refund them. You are the. Expected to recover your costs via your courrier insurance. But ups won't cover you for a mobile to Russia.

19. Indecisi0n macrumors regular

Indecisi0n

Made two huge mistakes here:
    1) Shipped out of country
    2) Shipped using USPS

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well, according to the buyer, he has no phone. You can't prove otherwise right now.

You made some clear mistakes here and basically you could be out your money if PayPal doesn't care to give you enough time for USPS tracking to be updated. I'd be on the phone with USPS until someone tracked the package.

21. MN7119 macrumors regular

+1
    USPS only to send letters!!!!

22. skimcpip macrumors regular

In Soviet Russia, iPhone steals you!

23. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

I cannot speak to individual country deliveries, but per eBay Policy (which also owns and controls PayPal), if you provided tracking, insurance, and required signature delivery, you are covered under seller protection regardless of the delivery location.

If you shipped it to Russia through eBay's global shipping program, then you are responsible for the package only until it reaches the US Based global shipping center, eBay is responsible for it from that point on.

I've had issues with this, and PayPal has ALWAYS ruled in my favor. Even if you didn't require signature delivery, but did provide tracking and insurance, they will still find in your favor, but you may be required to wait 30 days.

24. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

They must have offered you alot of money for you to sell in Russia.

There is little to nothing that can be done except hope that eBay falls on your side as Russia does not play by the same rules as most countries.

How much did they pay for the phone?

25. YodasMaster macrumors member

When shipping over seas always use Express Mail if using USPS as a signature is required. As a seller, anything over $250 and you are required by eBay and PayPal to use signature confirmation, not just tracking.

Though all this doesn't really matter. You could send it Express Mail with signature confirmation and all it takes is the buyer opening a case with eBay/PayPal saying that they received the phone broken, or the box was empty and you're screwed anyways.

In general, it's best just to avoid dealing with over seas buyers.