Sold MacBook Pro on ebay, I'm sure I'm being scammed...?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mildredop, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Sold my MBP on ebay for £660. The reply comes that the buyer wants it sent to Nigeria (regardless of the fact I said I'd only post within the UK). So I assumed it was a scam.

But I now have £660 'pending' on my PayPal account.

Is this genuine?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's apparently trivial to get PayPal to reverse a payment, so I'd conclude that it's a scam.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Report it to eBay and PayPal and let them deal with it.

4. Fairfax macrumors member

Nigeria?!?!? You're definitely being scammed. If I was you I would start the mutual cancellation process because the "buyer" is not inside the UK, contact eBay customer support to see how to proceed from there if the buyer does not want to agree to the cancellation.

The fact that eBay will have it on record that you contacted them regarding this situation and the buyer is not in the UK will help you if the buyer tries to ding your account by complaining that you're not sending out the item.

The fact that the paypal payment is pending doesn't mean a thing, it can always be reversed due to fraud because someone's account was hacked.

5. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

That's what I thought. This whole 'pending' thing in PayPal is a bad system - makes me think it's real.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I hate dealing with ebay/paypal, this does definitely smell bad. Good luck.

7. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

This. Run away. Fast.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. This is definitely a scam.

9. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Definitely a scam.

Let ebay sort it out, just don't send anything.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

He could send him a M-M-M-MacBook ;)

11. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Scam. It's very simple for a buyer to send funds via PayPal then "reverse" it. Any online transaction with "Nigeria" attached to it, STAY AWAY!

Coincidently, I was at the post office yesterday, standing in line behind a gentleman trying to send something to Nigeria. The guy explained the details of the transaction to the postal worker and I overheard the postal worker telling him not to send it and that it was a scam. They mentioned something about PayPal too (I couldn't really hear all the details of the conversation).

12. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

To avoid this in the future, I would recommend using Buy it now with Immediate Payment. Also requiring some minimum feedback.

13. jeremysteele macrumors 6502

If you have to ask yourself if you're being scammed, you're being scammed.

14. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Also, make sure all correspondence with the "buyer" is through ebay messages.

15. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

You stated you'd ship within UK). Contact eBay and cancel everything. You might have to do some explaining to Paypal, but stand firm. Or send them a Raspberry Pi with an Apple sticker on it.

16. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

On this note, you could revise the p-p-p-powerbook, or send them a book with "Mac" printed on it :D

17. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

They have real funds they somehow use for this.

I agree with the above posters! Wait two weeks to ship, then ship a cardboard MacBook and write "stop scamming" on it. Although, maybe you shouldn't write as nicely as that :p. C'mon, OP. Scam a Nigerian scammer. I don't think anyone would denounce that act.

18. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

Don't all paypal payments have "pending" status for awhile? Im pretty sure I've had money being held for 4-5 weeks before it was finally posted. Its still worth checking out though.

19. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

They likely have some funds or some credit card number they obtained fraudulently for this purpose. There is literally a 0% chance they want a legitimate transaction.

20. Huntn, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I used to be an avid eBay seller , but have pulled back in the last couple of years. As I recall, if I saw a "payment pending", I shipped nothing until funds received. With Ebay's "buyer preference", I don't know if I would sell another laptop there, and I've sold 4 or 5 Macs at good prices. Is there another good viable selling option online? It's strength is the size of the market.

21. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

I had something sent to Ukraine/Russia... got scammed out of an iPhone 3GS. Now if I ever want to offer something internationally, I use the Global Shippers Program.

The problem also with eBay/PayPal is that not only do they favor the buyer so heavily but their fees can be pretty outrageous.

22. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I say Craigslist is quite good. The price you get is usually about what you'd get on eBay after deducting listing and paypal fees.

23. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

PayPal gives you a "pending" or an "Okay to ship" don't ship it until PayPal clears payment. Truthfully, I'd cancel the sale and relist it. eBay won't charge you the fee if you relist it.

24. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

To quote the boys over at WWE:

Can you smell what da'Rock is acookin :D

25. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I wouldn't send anything to Nigeria even if I lived in Nigeria.