Sold my iphone on ebay any warnings?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by appleguy123, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I just sold my iphone 3g on ebay to pay for the 3gS. I got a paypal payment of $450 which was the price of the iphone. it came from a weird name and i don't mean to be racist but i have heard of a lot of scams coming from people saying they are foreigners. so is there anything special i should do before or after taking the payment. thanks in advanced.

2. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

i got this email from seller sounds like a scam but i got the payment.... please help

3. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

What's the problem if you got the payment? Send him the phone?

4. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I am about to in the morning im just making sure there were no scams like this floating around vefore i do

5. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Good luck, you obviously have little experience with eBay.

Suggestion would be to google, not to post on Macrumors on issues like, what to do if my dog just threw up.

6. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

YEp only second thing ever sold there so are there any that you all know about?

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

There was a thread on this about one of the scams, so you might want to try to find it. Anyway, the issue is from what I remember is that you have to make sure you send to an address (not sure if it has to be here in the U.S.) and that it gets signed for so that it shows you delivered it. The scam is they say they didn't get it, and supposedly just because you got paid, paypal can take the money back. I've never done a sell, only a buy using paypal, so like I said, I can't say for sure this info is correct, but that's what I remember. Also, they can say it didn't work, so some said to take a video to show it working as proof.

8. Jhanson09 macrumors regular

make sure you are sending the phone to a confirmed address on paypal. Definitely get the deliver conformation and upload the shipping information on paypal under the transaction details page. If you follow all of that you should be alright. Just remember to never do any transactions outside of ebay and paypal because they all tend to be scams.

9. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

10. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

first of all sorry i really am a noob at this.
    1. how can i tell if an address if confirmed?
    2.how do i upload the shipping info to paypal?
    3.how do i do delivery confirmation... i want to use usps

11. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

3. i can use fedex if necessary because i work there and would get a big discount but it would still be more expensive than the pst :)

12. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

13. Jhanson09 macrumors regular

underneath their address on paypal it will say confirmed in green letters

on paypal you will click on the certain transaction scroll down the page then you will see the link to upload shipping information. you will type in the tracking number then it will ask for the shipping company

You can definitely use usps. when you go to the post office grab one of the bright green slips that say delivery conformation on it give it to the teller he will stamp it put it on the package scan the barcode then give you the other half w/ the tracking number.

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I will say this, you have some balls for doing the sell w/o first coming on here and finding out the ramifications before you sold it or at least googling what you should know about the paypal/ebay process. :)

15. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Okay I see confirmed and the buyers payment says under review what does that mean and how long does that normally take?

erm, thanks I guess :confused::rolleyes:

16. Jhanson09 macrumors regular

more than likely paypal will put a hold on your funds when selling a high priced popular piece of electronics. the money is in your account you will just not be able to withdraw it until one of the following happens
    1. buyer leaves postive feedback
    2. paypal confirms device was delivered (thats why you should upload tracking info like i described above)
    3. 21 days after being marked as shipped if buyer has not left any feedback and seller hasn't uploaded shipping details.

17. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Uhh...no, at least not for anything close to the price range of iPhone.

See, this is why you don't want to ask irrelevant questions on a forum that isn't related to the question you are asking.

18. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It was a compliment. I just couldn't do that w/o knowing everything. So, I admire your courage/bravery/IDK.

19. Jhanson09 macrumors regular

ive sold 3 iphones on ebay and every single one has caused paypal to put a hold on my fund until one of those three....

20. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

I am sure you could be a racist if you didn't send it to him/her just because of his/her name :D. It's not right to disclose the buyer's name and email address in public websites.

21. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Then something is wrong with your account. I sold more than 5 3G when it first came out, each at average of $800 and recently sold 2 more 3G each at $400.

None of which had to go through what you have listed.

22. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

I agree with the bolded here. OP, please edit your post to remove the name and email of the person that purchased your phone. They could be a perfect buyer, but just have some problems with the English language.

23. Jhanson09 macrumors regular

maybe something to do w/ difference in a feedback score? i think mine is like a 95. Whats your's at? I bet you must have a much higher one causing them to put holds on a lot less of your listings.

24. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Yep, I guess it is due to your account.

However, issue at hand isn't about protecting the buyer (which is in your case), but rather to protect the seller, which is the OP.

I would make sure the $$$ is clear before I send anything out, that's all.

25. freelander macrumors member

If you have any doubts copy the emails you have received to the eBay support centre and they will confirm within 2hrs whether or not it is fraudulent activity. Worked for me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.