Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Another thing that helps is limiting who can bid on your auction (Listed under Myebay->Account->Site Preferences->Buyer Requirements).

I have blocked the following from bidding on my auctions:

Have received 2 Unpaid Item strike(s) within 12 Month(s).
Are registered in countries to which I don't ship
Have 4 Policy Violation report(s) within 6 Month(s).
Have a feedback score of -1 or lower

Mac-Lady

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
Michigan
Scammer can be not only buyer but seller. I would not leave any feedback until I receive the package, see what is inside the package, and check dead on arrival. Scammer can send a stone instead of phone :eek:. It is not easy for buyer to claim after leaving feedback and signing on the delivery confirmation.

Paypal does not care or even look at feedback. I am a powerseller with over 4000 feedbacks I know. But your right some buyers might not want to leave feedback first but it has nothing to do with filing a claim. Delivery confirmation does not mean the item was as described so you can still file a claim.

HudsonsHalfHour

macrumors member
May 19, 2009
Another thing that helps is limiting who can bid on your auction (Listed under Myebay->Account->Site Preferences->Buyer Requirements).

I have blocked the following from bidding on my auctions:

Have received 2 Unpaid Item strike(s) within 12 Month(s).
Are registered in countries to which I don't ship
Have 4 Policy Violation report(s) within 6 Month(s).
Have a feedback score of -1 or lower

Good advice, that should weed out potential evil doers. I had no idea these options existed

HudsonsHalfHour

macrumors member
May 19, 2009
Some people should not be allowed on the internet. So, you sell your phone on eBay and after it's sold and you get the money you come here asking for help and asking questions that should have been asked BEFORE you even started? Then you start asking questions that should be second nature to you and quite honestly, tell me that you should not be selling anything online to begin with.

Your bright. You must be one of the several hundred people I read about that got "scammed" because they had 0 common sense.

if YOU'RE going to be rude abut someone's intelligence, make sure you don't make any spelling mistakes in the process, otherwise you just look like an idiot.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
it came from a weird name and i don't mean to be racist but i have heard of a lot of scams coming from people saying they are foreigners.
And how is that being racist that you would make this statement? I think you are confused about what a racist statement is.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
And how is that being racist that you would make this statement? I think you are confused about what a racist statement is.

We all knew that. He's got enough problems without telling him he's using terms wrong, though. I truly hope he doesn't sell to the guy he was going to sell to, but if he does, then I guess he'll finally learn a valuable lesson.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Why so many scammers?

got this from paypal/buyer from nigeria!!!
You have an instant payment of $500.00 USD from name here to your account my email here) for an eBay item through PayPal.
Information About Our New Policy!

This PayPal® payment has been deducted from the buyer's account, your money is in our possession and has been "APPROVED" to be credited into your account, but will remain pending until the shipment tracking number is send to our customers care service for shipment verification. This measure is taken in order to protect the sellers and buyers interest and to reduce the occurrence of fraudulent activities. Send the shipment tracking number to our Customers Care Service at (shipment-number@consultant.com). If you have any question feel free via replying us.

Accept all major forms of payment. Get features comparable to merchant accounts and gateways – at a lower cost. Accept credit cards, bank transfers, debit cards, and more.

Payment Details

Amount: $500.00 USD(remember i only asked for $450)
Item: 1234566789123
Transaction ID: i think these are important

Details

Purchased From: my name here

Seller Email: my email address is here

Note!
Make sure you ship the item to the confirmed shipping address shown below to be protected.

Credit Card Billing Info: Shipping Information.

Address: you guys don't like names on here...
No,18 Oyedeji Street
Shomolu, Lagos State 23401
Nigeria.

Address Status: Confirmed.
Thank you for using PayPal®

The "official" PayPal corporate offices are at:
Centennial Hall 128
1000 s. Franklin kirksville, mo 63501
We look forward in serving your online auction payment needs in the future.

The PayPal Team

PayPal Email ID PP056
even if this is real it would cost me more to send to nigeria than the phone is worth. but im defiantly not doing this but how would this guy scam me?

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Dude just go to paypal.com and login.... he didnt send you any money just spoofed an e-mail... Had this guy last week. Told him where to go. Tell him you shipped the phone and send him a ******** tracking number then say enjoy!

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
got this from paypal/buyer from nigeria!!!

even if this is real it would cost me more to send to nigeria than the phone is worth. but im defiantly not doing this but how would this guy scam me?

deadhorse2.jpg

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Dude just go to paypal.com and login.... he didnt send you any money just spoofed an e-mail... Had this guy last week. Told him where to go. Tell him you shipped the phone and send him a ******** tracking number then say enjoy!

This is true! thanks for the help my ebay fees are mounting from all these fake buyers

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
This is true! thanks for the help my ebay fees are mounting from all these fake buyers

Open a case you will be credited. I know my scammer deleted his ebay account and in addition to the bs paypal e-mail also sent me a bs ebay saying he was legit and ebay will never let anything happen to be yada yada yada. I just opened a case that he closed his account and instant refund. If this is not the case for you open a eBay case anyway, chances are you will get refunded.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Open a case you will be credited. I know my scammer deleted his ebay account and in addition to the bs paypal e-mail also sent me a bs ebay saying he was legit and ebay will never let anything happen to be yada yada yada. I just opened a case that he closed his account and instant refund. If this is not the case for you open a eBay case anyway, chances are you will get refunded.

Is there if thnyway i can file the case w/o waiting close to a week? and also what do you guys recommend i sell the iphone for? It is new replacement from apple but accessories are used i have not touched the phone since i got home w/ it to avoid scratches.

lpj8

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2002
Here are some things you can do to protect yourself as a seller on ebay:

1. Only accept Paypal payments from users with a confirmed paypal address.
2. Set up your Paypal account so it will not allow people to send you money if they do not have a confirmed address.
3. Put limitations on who can bid/purchase your stuff on ebay.
4. Only ship to the confirmed Paypal account address
5. Only ship to the US, (not really a protection, but my experiences with international shipping have been difficult).
6. Purchase delivery confirmation and insurance for every transaction. The item is not the responsibility of the buyer until it is delivered to them. If they don't receive the item, they can file a charge back, and the creditcard company will side with the buyer. I don't make this an option anymore, it's just included in shipping and handling.
7. Require signature confirmation on items greater then $200.
8. Do all transactions within ebay, and use ebay's messaging system.

lpj8

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2002
Is there if thnyway i can file the case w/o waiting close to a week? and also what do you guys recommend i sell the iphone for? It is new replacement from apple but accessories are used i have not touched the phone since i got home w/ it to avoid scratches.

I would do a search of completed iPhone 3G sales in the condition that is similar to yours, and then I would look to see what the lowest buy it now price is for an iPhone 3G that is listed in the same condition as yours. I tend to only use Buy It Now, and require the the buyer send immediate payment. The fees are more this way, but at least I can predict what I'm going to make.

If you do not have a lot of ebay feedback, people generally will not spend as much as they would from some who has a lot of feedback.

I hope this helps.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I would do a search of completed iPhone 3G sales in the condition that is similar to yours, and then I would look to see what the lowest buy it now price is for an iPhone 3G that is listed in the same condition as yours. I tend to only use Buy It Now, and require the the buyer send immediate payment. The fees are more this way, but at least I can predict what I'm going to make.

If you do not have a lot of ebay feedback, people generally will not spend as much as they would from some who has a lot of feedback.

I hope this helps.

Thats my problem i think my condition is almost unique (new phone used accessories)

lpj8

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2002
Thats my problem i think my condition is almost unique (new phone used accessories)

Listing something like this as new is tricky, because it's not new in the retail sense. I think that when buyers see a product advertised as new, they believe that it'll all be in a box (accessories included) that is sealed and never opened.

I would describe your item as best as possible, and list it around the same price that other iPhone 3G's that are almost new, or mint are listed as.

One good way to determine if your listing price is about right is the number of views you get for your item. If you get 5 views in 5 days, your price is too high, if you get 500 views and it sells in a hour, your price was probably a little low.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Listing something like this as new is tricky, because it's not new in the retail sense. I think that when buyers see a product advertised as new, they believe that it'll all be in a box (accessories included) that is sealed and never opened.

I would describe your item as best as possible, and list it around the same price that other iPhone 3G's that are almost new, or mint are listed as.

One good way to determine if your listing price is about right is the number of views you get for your item. If you get 5 views in 5 days, your price is too high, if you get 500 views and it sells in a hour, your price was probably a little low.

that happened with my iphone 16gb 2g sold in 3 minutes i thought i was too high too lol and thanks for all the help

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008

Ask your mom and dad to help you list it. Clearly you need adult supervision in this matter. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.