Sold my rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stevey69, Nov 11, 2012.

1. stevey69 macrumors regular

Bought a 2012 rmbp 16gb 512gb ssd.. Used it for 3 months... Couldn't stand the lag with everything that was being done with the a computer..l I mean correct me if I'm wrong but isn't 16gb enough ram for rmbp to work flawlessly.. I mean Jesus, it's just terrible what you pay for and what you get. A 3K laptop shouldn't work worse than a 15" umbp.

2. sensorian macrumors member

Well I've had mine for four months, it's only 8mb memory and has no discernible lag and despite having an LG screen does not suffer from image retention. I'm keeping mine.

Strange the difference in our experiences. Suggests that something may have been wrong with yours.....

3. Fabricman112 macrumors regular

Fabricman112

have had my rMBP (2.7/16/768) a little over 3 months... recently I noticed the IR everyone is talking about, had a major breakdown last week after the 2.0 update, it lags here and there...
    overall not happy with the quality, worst Macbook I've own
    If I'm not happy with my replacement, I'm ending my contract (lease to company) and getting a non:apple: laptop

4. Woodcrest64 macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

I haven't had any issues with image retention or lag. I did have lag prior to 10.8.2. My only issues now are the computer hanging at the grey apple/white background when connected to two external monitors and my macbook going back to sleep from waking in 2 seconds on occasion.

5. naujoks macrumors 6502

naujoks

I thought I'm fussy with computers, but what lag is that you're all moaning on about? I haven't ever experienced any. The machine just zips along with anything I'm throwing at it!

6. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    Good luck on the other side ... moah ha ha ha

7. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

16GB is plenty lol.

I have no issues with my RMBP and its the best laptop I've ever had.

8. bogatyr macrumors 65816

UI lag doesn't detract from the performance of apps. Not sure why the UI performance means anything. Love my rMBP and a slight lag scrolling in Xcode doesn't detract from that.

9. mrkjeezy macrumors member

What lag do you guys speak of? i havnt noticed any lag on my rmbp

10. Nozuka macrumors 65816

my first mac. but i'm having less lag than on any windows machine i ever owned. and those were some powerful gaming machines.

11. terraphantm macrumors 68040

The latest graphics update eliminated pretty much any lag I ever had.

12. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

OP is not the sharpest tool in the shed, at least when it comes to computers. The amount of ram has nothing to do with the UI lag. I had it on my rMBP when I first got it, and knew right away it was a software issue (driver etc).

13. wiznet macrumors regular

It's not the hardware's fault.

And, mine is perfect & is the best computer I've ever used.

14. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

The RMBP (also 16GB) is the fastest computer I've ever used.

I've currently got XCode, iPhone Simulator, Photoshop, Illustrator and Safari and a few other apps open. All totally fluid. Photoshop efficiency never less than 90% (so barely touching the scratch, if at all). I actually want to turn the Photoshop scratch off to try and save the SSD, but Adobe don't let you do that.

Point is - 16GB is an awful lot of RAM. My mother's iPhone has 16GB storage.

As for lag, well, I have noticed a little bit of stuttering here and there. Like most others here I put it down to software. It's not the technical specs of this machine that's letting it down in any way.

My 2008 BlackBook could take up to 10 minutes to build-and-run. I can't even measure how fast it is on this machine; instantaneous.

15. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Ok, I will correct you.

16GB is a lot of ram.

Even by todays standards.

OS X idle from a fresh boot is about 1.2GB.

16. DionysusTheVino macrumors newbie

Well as a late 2011-17" MBP owner, all I can do is laugh. This is a "PRO" laptop? Please.

17. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

I've got the exact same model. FCPx and '7', AE, Illustrator, PS and Aperture. I play with XCode and do ll the basics. From surfing and Mail, FB and Skype. As a long time, many machine owner--- I'm positively blown away by this machine. I can't understand how anyone would be anything other than. This is the fastest machine in every task that I've ever owned---not to mention...this freakin' screen! WoW!

You may have gotten a dud. Did you ever have it checked out?

I've got a pair of 2011 17's...a 2.2 & 2.4. Both w/16 GB RAM. One with a Samsung 830/256gb...the older 2.2 still with the original 750gb spinner. Love em! Absolutely love them and we'll hang on to the 2.4--BUT, that said-- yes, in comparison all the way around...the rMBP is as 'Pro' as you can purchase. The speed, the display, the speed, the I/O options available now with twin thunderbolt and USB 3--- it's a killer blend of super, high speed 'everything', outrageous resolution in an incredibly well designed/engineered/crafted body. Hard to explain how incredibly bad ass this computer is. It absolutely chews up and spits our 17's out. Regardless of 'screen real-estate'

Sorry man.

I own an LG monitor. No sign of IR. no discernible lag in any of my endeavors. Only serious, instantaneous speed! Sorry. Trying not to embellish too much. But between the 'speed-n-screen'...this is a serious computer for any and everything one can possibly need to do on a computer in this day n age. With the addition of a couple of big monitors...one can accomplish any and all creative/productivity/engineering/CAD/photo/video tasks one could ask. In a package that'll give you 6 or 7 hours not plugged in!

I'm sorry to hear of your experience. Know there definitely ARE working units in the same, identical configuration you owned. :)
    (Meant for response to OP)
    J

18. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

What UI lag there is on the rmbp is entirely due to its scaling.... You can easily test by plugging in a TB display and there's no perceivable scroll lag on it.

19. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

Sold my 2.3/16gb/256ssd. Missed it so I bought a 2.3/8gb/256ssd. After a little while I got really used to the machine and its benefits so I went for the 2.6/16gb/256ssd - loving it! :D

20. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

... and you're clearly anything but a "PRO" yourself. :rolleyes:

21. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

lol :D agreed. I had the 17" early and late 2011 versions and sold it to upgrade.

True pro users get what they need and stick with it. We upgrade every year or whenever we feel like the current machine don't work anymore. We don't really worry about $ as much as just getting stuff done because you make more money working than worrying about the little things on the machines.

As much as I would love to upgrade my own machine for cost effectiveness I have no problem giving that up for portability, build quality, and the screen resolution. The 17" was a beautiful laptop but its 2 lbs heavier than the retina and more expensive than the rMBP and less powerful. And that's comparing my 2.5ghz i7 late 2011 model with my 2.6ghz/16gb/256ssd unit.

22. newdeal macrumors 68020

I remember my first computer was 25MHz with an 8MB hard drive and I think 512KB of ram. Its funny how people complain about the performance of these machines being slow, when in fact the machines are super fast and its the software that needs to catch up. On the bright side my 2010 unibody 15 with old intel HD graphics is smooth as butter, guess they have had more time to perfect the software

23. stevey69 thread starter macrumors regular

so to all the rmbp owners.... you guys must be BLIND to not notice any lag with a superfast laptop that apple claims it to be. truth is, the intel HD 4000 cant handle the pixels... the discreet juices too much battery.. so in the end you are stuck with a unit where you have to make choices to preseve battery life. i just might go back to my old 17" umbp which was a LOT more fluid than my rmbp and no its not a hardware glitch which i know but how long does it take apple to fix the damn glitches... its been over 4 MONTHS and yet it stilll remains unsolved. apple cant sell a super-power laptop that it claims for such a steep price yet it still functions subpar and does not deliver. shame on you apple... perhaps you should give it a trial run and fix all the mistakes before unleashing the product.

24. nontroppo, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012

nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

Um, yes it can, easily (hardware memory bandwidth is 16x greater than HiDPI1920 needs, fillrate is significantly higher than requirements and hardware is easily capable of supersampling). There are many people here without problem, using it for very complex work using high-level programs. Why do you have to insult people who don't have your problems?