Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RipNoCellular

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2018
Leuven, België
I’m seeing a lot of posts of people having battery drain on the AirPods Pro 2 case.
I had a similar issue, it used to drain over 20% or more a day.

This is what solves it for me:

- Go to the find my app
- Remove AirPods Pro from the Find my App devices list (this causes them to also unpair from your phone)
- Open the case of your AirPods Pro as you normally would on the first time that you pair them.
- Pair them!

This fixed the issue for me and I haven’t noticed it draining battery ever since.

If you got any questions let me know.

Also let us know if this solution works for you or not.

Reactions: Gmanjr and srbNYC

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Mine don’t seem to be draining. I unplugged mine from the charger about 12 hours ago and they’re still at 100%. Of course I didn’t use them.

When you do this does it show back up on Find My?

RipNoCellular

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2018
Leuven, België
Mine don’t seem to be draining. I unplugged mine from the charger about 12 hours ago and they’re still at 100%. Of course I didn’t use them.

When you do this does it show back up on Find My?
Yes they show back up on find my.
But seems like you don’t have any issues with battery drain it seems.

Mine used to drain 20% a day without touching it.
The drain is definitely noticeable so yours seem to be fine.

Reactions: russell_314

thatguywill

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2021
5339D7BB-ACC4-46E8-923C-DE8D87B3C244.jpeg
Didn’t work for me, followed your tip. The AirPods still appear to be charging and the case is draining even though the pods are fully charged. Not used in a week and it’s slowly going down more and more.

RipNoCellular

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2018
Leuven, België
View attachment 2088707 Didn’t work for me, followed your tip. The AirPods still appear to be charging and the case is draining even though the pods are fully charged. Not used in a week and it’s slowly going down more and more.
The AirPods with a green lightning symbol are fully charged. When the symbol is black they are actively charging.

What kind of drain are you experiencing?

Reactions: srbNYC

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I’m seeing a lot of posts of people having battery drain on the AirPods Pro 2 case.
I had a similar issue, it used to drain over 20% or more a day.

This is what solves it for me:

- Go to the find my app
- Remove AirPods Pro from the Find my App devices list (this causes them to also unpair from your phone)
- Open the case of your AirPods Pro as you normally would on the first time that you pair them.
- Pair them!

This fixed the issue for me and I haven’t noticed it draining battery ever since.

If you got any questions let me know.

Also let us know if this solution works for you or not.
Only way I was able to stop the draining was shutting "find my" off.. Went from 10-20% per day sitting on the counter to a couple of percent in a couple of days...

thatguywill

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2021
Only way I was able to stop the draining was shutting "find my" off.. Went from 10-20% per day sitting on the counter to a couple of percent in a couple of days...
That makes a lot of sense, 'Find my' has to be the cause. At least its draining for a good reason

RipNoCellular

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2018
Leuven, België
Did you try my method? I also had the issue of it draining that much. But now it drains like 1-2% a day or something even with find my on.
That makes a lot of sense, 'Find my' has to be the cause. At least its draining for a good reason
It shouldn’t drain that much though

thatguywill

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2021
Did you try my method? I also had the issue of it draining that much. But now it drains like 1-2% a day or something even with find my on.

I'll fully charge the case and pods and then give you an update 👌

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I tried everything to get rid of the drain and it's unfortunate that find my was the culprit.

Yes I tried your method and all sorts of other things. I was just about to return them for another pair but I tried shutting off find my and the drain disappeared. I am hoping firmware updates will cure the issue but they haven't so far

xxBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2020
It seems to help. Charged to 100% overnight, used them now for 1h and now the pods are fully charged and the case is still at 100%. Hopefully it stays that way.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Damn this is happening again? I have find my draining my iPad Pro 11” all the time like crazy!!

skidu

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2014
Tried this the other day, case is down to 50% from full charge on tuesday, that would imply ive used the airpods for 10-15hours, when in reality I've used them less than 4-5 hours.

I almost wonder if i'd get better battery life if I let the buds drain down to 100% before putting them back in the case, then monitoring how much charge it takes from the cases, it should be around 25% for a full charge.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Same prob. The case drains like crazy. I have to charge twice a week and only use the airpods about 10-15 hours a week.

Reactions: Minarets

frostrambler

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
NYC
Same issue, charged before bed, they’ve been in my backpack all day, no touch. 16 hours later and they are at 90 pervent

appleincognito

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2014
So it seems everyone has this issue on the gen 2 pros and there is no fix yet?

Mine are certainly draining the case way more than the gen 1’s.

Could it by the find my case feature? Has anyone tried disabling that and seeing if it goes back to how the Gen 1 pros were?

Reactions: Minarets

hoo-man-b-ing

Cancelled
Mar 13, 2022
So it seems everyone has this issue on the gen 2 pros and there is no fix yet?
Not everyone. 😉

Mine seemed to drop quickly the first day or two, though I suspected that also had to do with them calibrating their battery, higher than normal use as I compared them to my previous model, etc. Now their battery is at least as steady as my original AirPod Pro (which I still have nearby).

For context, I generally wear them 4+ hours a day in a variety of locations (e.g., home, gym, library). They’re always within a few feet of other Find My enabled devices (e.g., iPhone, AirTag, iPad Pro), which could result in them using less battery for Find My (e.g., if Apple‘s algorithm uses some sort of round-robin/rotation based approach for a cohort of nearby devices). I generally charge the case when it’s dipped below 30% usually through a Lightning cable, but sometimes through either the MagSafe battery park or Duo.

loteq

macrumors member
May 12, 2008
Noticing this on mine as well. Kept going back to use them and they were dead. Not 20 percent down since yesterday full charge. Will try the repair thing

jruss42

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2022
So been trying to figure what the issue is! I don’t think it has anything to do with the case, as I’ve had AirPods out of case for an extensive amount of time and the case battery level maintained. Only when I put the AirPods into charge once they get to 100% they appear to continue draining the case more than they should do and more than my gen 1. So I had removed them from Find My in the find my app and this removed them entirely so I had to pair them to iPhone again. Once paired again, then went into the Bluetooth settings for AirPods and removed find my there. Currently on charge and will charge to 100%. Will then monitor them over couple days. I had also reported the issue to Apple customers care, so have them informed.

Last edited:
Reactions: appleincognito

appleincognito

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2014
So been trying to figure what the issue is! I don’t think it has anything to do with the case, as I’ve had AirPods out of case for an extensive amount of time and the case battery level maintained. Only when I put the AirPods into charge once they get to 100% they appear to continue draining the case more than they should do and more than my gen 1. So I had removed them from Find My in the find my app and this removed them entirely so I had to pair them to iPhone again. Once paired again, then went into the Bluetooth settings for AirPods and removed find my there. Currently on charge and will charge to 100%. Will then monitor them over couple days. I had also reported the issue to Apple customers care, so have them informed.
Some are reporting that find my is the issue. Any luck at turning it off?

jruss42

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2022
Some are reporting that find my is the issue. Any luck at turning it off?
Yes so far appears ‘find my’ could be the cause. I charged AirPods and case to 100% by 10pm. By 9:30am this morning I still had 100% battery, some 11 and half hours later which would indicate ‘find my’ being the issue. This is really disappointing to have such a great feature that is turned off due to issues on battery! Apple needs to fix this and I will report this back to the Apple care team once I have done a more extensive testing.

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
I turned off "find my," and I no longer have a battery drain problem. I'm getting close to the advertised battery life for both the AirPods and case.

Positivcheg

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2022
Киев о_О
To the guys talking here about the problem. I feel like the problem is in the Find My feature itself.
The thing is, my iPhone also has some drain. And believe me or not, it was draining overnight way less when my girlfriend went away for 4 days meaning that all my devices were with me and no other devices were. Basically meaning that my iPhone wouldn’t need to respond to FindMy requests from her AirTag.

Meaning if you have a drain then maybe that’s because you have someone else near you with iPhone and system thinks that it should report that some “other” device is around. And as far as I remember that devices in FindMy network report other devices, meaning that there is a chance that my AirPods Pro 2 might track her phone and report it to my phone to report it to Apple servers and so does her iPhone and so on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.