Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kilimanjaro

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2004
Toronto, Canada
So since receiving my APM I definitely have had less “noticeable” condensation due to the cloth cups. When wearing for longer periods with my XM4 and NC 700 it’s noticeably more and sometimes I would need to dry my face off as the pleather material doesn’t aid in dispersion. But on the point of the thread, the condensation is only noticeable on the APM because you can remove the cups to view it. On any other cans that don’t have removable cups you can’t actually remove them to see the condensation build up which inevitably dries into the material. My personal opinion.
I agree that if you can’t see it, it (seems not) to be there.
I’ve got condensation on the (synthetic) pads of the XM4s. With the H95s, the pads are magnetic and a super soft calf leather - there’s never been any condensation when I’ve pulled these off.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine

Since the AirPods Max headphones were released on December 15, there have been a growing number of complaints from MacRumors readers who have run into a problem with condensation.

airpods-max-condensation.jpg

Image via MacRumors reader Jordan921

Some AirPods Max owners who have been wearing their headphones for a prolonged period of time have noticed condensation forming inside the ear cup. From MacRumors reader ssong:The condensation seems to happen regardless of temperature, and most people have reported seeing it after several hours of use, but for some, it shows up within an hour or two. One user has claimed that the condensation has led to issues with Active Noise Cancellation, but this has not been echoed by other AirPods Max owners and no one else has reported problems caused by condensation.

Other AirPods Max owners have said that the same issue has happened with headphones from other brands. From MacRumors reader JBGoode:The AirPods Max are not water resistant and those who are affected by the condensation are concerned about the longevity of the headphones with the water droplets pooling inside. The ear cushions are not affected and remain dry despite the condensation inside the ear cups.

Some AirPods Max owners have returned the headphones, while others have picked up AppleCare+ in case of future problems. Apple has not yet commented on the issue.

Article Link: Some AirPods Max Owners Complain of Condensation in Ear Cups

Will Tisdale 🎗

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2019
Selby, UK
The way I’m reading this is that this is occurring regardless of activity or temperature, even after a few hours of just sitting at a desk. The hypothesis is that the design is trapping heat and creating condensation (the ear pads themselves aren’t even wet), so it has nothing to do with sweating and might actually be due to a faulty design.
It’s standard for any over ear headphones. There’s no way of keeping the sound in but letting the moist warm air out. So it gets warm and moist inside the cup and if there’s a cooler surface the moisture condenses.

I guess if people took them off for a few minutes every so often that would help...

Out of interest - AirPods Max owners - is the inside speaker grille made of metal?

Reactions: Maigrais and 480951

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
Great! Xbox vs PS boys, Winblows vs Mac Geeks, Android Peasants vs iPhone Arrogance, Pro vaccine vs anti vaccine, trump vs biden, round earthers vs flat earthers, now dry ears clan vs wet ears clan! When is this gonna ever stop!? We need John Lennon to be revived asap!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ModusOperandi

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
This happens with most over ear headphones. I'm a big critic of AirPods max but this is quite normal.

Yes. My Sony WH-1000XM3s had significant rust/corrosion on some of the internal screws, visible when you removed the ear pads and the internal foam. Presumably this was caused by the same type of sweat/condensation build up. But at least Apple will be using screws that don’t rust!

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
It’s standard for any over ear headphones. There’s no way of keeping the sound in but letting the moist warm air out. So it gets warm and moist inside the cup and if there’s a cooler surface the moisture condenses.

I guess if people took them off for a few minutes every so often that would help...

Out of interest - AirPods Max owners - is the inside speaker grille made of metal?

A few other comments also remarking this can only be noticed in that area because the earcups are removable makes sense. Normally that wouldn’t be seen, only the condensation externally visible.

Reactions: ascender

Will Tisdale 🎗

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2019
Selby, UK
A few other comments also remarking this can only be noticed in that area because the earcups are removable makes sense. Normally that wouldn’t be seen, only the condensation externally visible.
It also could be because the internal speaker grille is metal, which means a lot more heat transfer to the outside and as a result a lot more condensation than if it was, say, plastic, which doesn’t conduct heat well. It looks like metal in the photo, but I wasn’t 100% sure.

Reactions: Matti_

kirk.vino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2017
I’ve noticed that on mine as well. It’s never too intense though. I used to have a pair of older wired Bose NC headphones as well. I used to work out and run in them. They never stopped working and the sweat only ruined the cushions but not the drivers.
As many have pointed out, most closed back headphones have that as well. The only issue that Apple has created here is the ability to remove the cup covers and see into the cans, so now everyone can scrutinize it. You can even see the drivers after removing the magnetic cups, as the speaker grill is covered with a transparent partition. Most headphones don’t have that degree of transparency, no pun intended.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maigrais
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.