Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Watch Series 3 models are being delivered across the United States and the rest of the world today, and as customers start attempting to activate their new LTE devices, some of them are running into serious setup issues.

On the MacRumors forums, several AT&T customers have received messages stating AT&T is not supported. Support reps seem confused about how Apple Watch activation works, with one rep telling MacRumors reader KG87 that his watch needs a new number.

applewatchseries3-800x308.jpg
I am having the same problem. I contacted AT&T and they said I need to have a new number created for the watch before it will work and I am almost certain that is not true.

I contacted AppleCare and they said that there are connectivity issues with the watch and the engineers are working very hard to get it fixed.

Basically, this is a nightmare scenario for Apple and we're left without the #1 reason we made this purchase.
Many of the affected AT&T customers have said the company seems to be having trouble activating watches not purchased directly through AT&T and have been spending quite a lot of time on the phone in an attempt to get the problem ironed out. Some customers are even being told to call back tomorrow. From MacRumors reader Greg:
I have been on the phone for quite a while today with AT&T, transferred over 10 times, only to be told that they can't activate watches today due to a system issue and to call back tomorrow. It seems to be gaining notice on reddit on the apple watch subreddit.
According to another AT&T support rep, customers who ordered an Apple Watch directly from Apple will not be getting them activated until tomorrow because they're missing key information Apple was supposed to send them.

Verizon users don't seem to be having as much trouble as AT&T users, but several have been told Verizon's systems aren't fully functional. Verizon is said to be doing maintenance to fix the problem and there's no estimate of when issues will be worked out. Many VZW customers may not be able to make phone calls due to the server issues.

T-Mobile customers also appear to be having significant issues, like MacRumors reader Jesse, who said he's spent several hours on the phone with T-Mobile trying to work out an authentication error with his social security number. "T-Mobile reps are completely unprepared for dealing with this issue today. Spent many hours on the phone with T-Mobile and Apple already. Apple claims this is T-Mobile issue," he told us.

T-Mobile customers have also been told the company is having system wide issues affecting the signal T-Mobile users are getting on the Apple Watch.

At least some of the activation issues are due to customers who have incompatible plans. AT&T customers with a grandfathered unlimited data plan, for example, are not able to use the Apple Watch Series 3, despite assurances from AT&T reps that the watch was compatible with the plan.

Across the pond, some EE subscribers in the UK are having the same activation problems, and EE reps are at a loss on how to help
I'm on EE and my Apple Watch wasn't connecting either so called EE and they did some checks and asked me to restart the watch but still no go. They can't figure it out either and said they are working on a fix from Apple as lot of EE customers are having issues. They did not have any problem with what type of contract I had with EE as I'm on a monthly 20GB for GBP21 plan.
Though some customers are having issues, others have been able to activate their LTE watches with no problems and have even said it's an easy process. For the subset of users running into issues, though, it's been a frustrating afternoon attempting to deal with Apple support and carrier representatives who are still struggling to figure out all the quirks and problems that come along with supporting a new device.

Update: Several AT&T customers with grandfathered unlimited data plans have been able get an Apple Watch Series 3 to work with their plans with the help of an AT&T representative. The Apple Watch can be set up as an independent wearable and then linked to the iPhone using NumberSync.

Article Link: Some Apple Watch Series 3 Owners Facing LTE Activation Issues [Updated]

Reactions: VmpSlyer

Macsperts

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2015
Ditto here with T-Mobile. Social Security activation not working. Spent time on phone and in store with them saying it was an Apple issue.

dandy1117

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
I am an AT&T customer and I activated my device easily during setup on the Apple Watch app. I setup around 11AM EST. I ordered directly from Apple.

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Mine activated fine on T-Mobile. I originally bypassed the cellular in the initial setup and went back later on and did it after the Watch was completely set up. It works great.

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
I am an AT&T customer and I activated my device easily during setup on the Apple Watch app. I setup around 11AM EST. I ordered directly from Apple.

Did you buy from apple?
Are you on AT&T's current Unlimited series plan?

thx

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I usually don't mind being an early adopter. I actually never really mind, but if I were in the market for an LTE Apple Watch I would definitely wait some time before getting one.

Before this article came out I just had a feeling it wouldn't work as promised.

dsampley

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
I was expecting the worst this morning but my watch activated almost immediately on AT&T. I purchased my watch directly from Apple and I have a mobile share plan. On my account, I can see where a unique number was assigned to the watch. However, number sync was setup as part of the process to allow the phone to make and receive calls from the watch using my cell phone number.

Reactions: themick4u

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I am active in the thread with ATT issues. This may be my last straw with their service. T-Mobile has been tempting me with many of their features, and since I own all of my families devices free and clear, I have no reason to stay with ATT.

I am fine with service issues, I am not okay with being hung up on, being blind transferred repeatedly, and having to give my IEMI end EID number over the phone.

(EDIT)

ATT is just calling me now.

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
I had to call Verizon to get mine activated (and I ordered directly from Verizon), took about 15 minutes for them to get it done - there was no wait to talk to a person at least.

It said no plans were available to add my watch to at first but they fixed it over the phone.

Might be because I have an older 8GB plan instead of their new unlimited one.

Reactions: RoobyRoobyRoo

jameskk

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2003
South Carolina
Got mine direct from Apple and setup was a breeze using T-Mobile and the watch app. But I couldn't get voice calls to work on LTE (data worked fine). I contacted TMO support and they had me unpair watch and remove data plan then repair and add plan back and it worked. Loving the watch so far. Been pleased with LTE performance during my limited testing driving around here in Greenville, SC sans iPhone.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Billy Ocean foresaw this:

#Red light spells danger,
Can't hold out much longer
'Cause red light means warning,
Can't hold out I'm burning

In all seriousness I hope it gets sorted out for everyone affected ASAP.

Blizzardman

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Gilbert, Arizona
Hmm I am no the new Unlimited Plus plan or whatever it's called and had no problems activating with AT&T. It said something about waiting for there to be an update before the data will start working and I haven't had a chance to give it a try yet.

Pujones1

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
Sugar Land, TX
I ordered one of these and it's sitting at Best Buy right now. I think I'll wait a few days before I pick it up. I'm sure this will be ironed out over the weekend. Sad that it's not working as intended though. That would be frustrating.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
I very much suspect poor training at AT&T is the likely culprit here. And I say this as a 16 year customer of theirs who has been to many customer service rodeos with their reps.

Reactions: 5105973

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Update

ATT rep just called me, they stated they are going to work to push some of these through today. She relayed information I had given earlier with my IEMI and EID, she said it is now activated and I need to Re-Pair the device.

She gave me a case number, and will be calling me back in 30 minutes to check on the progress.

Wish me luck (or not ;) )

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
These carriers charge $10 whole extra dollars per month for a device that will a) default as much as possible to the iphone or wifi and b) would likely only be used in place of the phone (resulting in little extra network usage overall) and they botch the launch too!

AND they pull stuff like this:
At least some of the activation issues are due to customers who have incompatible plans. AT&T customers with a grandfathered unlimited data plan, for example, are not able to use the Apple Watch Series 3, despite assurances from AT&T reps that the watch was compatible with the plan.

Really? The "plan" is incompatible? Sounds like AT&T wants even MORE than the $10 per month that is already outrageous!

Sorry- OK, rant off. My heart goes out to the people being screwed by this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.