Some Apple Watch Series 3 Repairs Can Now Qualify for Series 4 Replacement

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 20, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has informed its retail staff that it will substitute some Apple Watch Series 3 repairs with the Apple Watch Series 4, due to low inventory on the older model. The announcement was spotted by an internal memo delivered to staff and Authorized Service Providers, seen by 9to5Mac.

[​IMG]

Now, customers looking for a repair or replacement of the stainless steel Apple Watch Series 3 with GPS and cellular, can instead receive the stainless steel Series 4 model with GPS and cellular. The change is said to apply to Apple retail stores and ASPs globally, but it's unclear at this time if the Series 4 upgrades are a permanent solution to the Series 3 shortages.

Apple's new repair/replacement upgrade for the Apple Watch is the latest of several instances of the company substituting Apple Watch repairs with newer models. This began in January, when the company announced that some first-generation Apple Watches and Apple Watch Series 1 could qualify for Series 2 replacements, due to supply constraints on repair parts for the older models. Then, earlier in May, Apple confirmed that repairs of certain Apple Watch Series 2 models will be fulfilled with equivalent Series 3 models due to temporary shortages of unspecified Series 2 parts.

To initiate a repair, head to the Get Support page on Apple's website and book an appointment with an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. As usual, it's not guaranteed that all locations will acknowledge existence of this internal policy, especially given that there is no definitive end date, so your mileage may vary.

Article Link: Some Apple Watch Series 3 Repairs Can Now Qualify for Series 4 Replacement

2. benshive macrumors regular

And suddenly a bunch of Series 3 owners "accidentally" drop their watch down the stairs ;)

3. ilikewhey macrumors 6502a

ilikewhey

this is why i like being an apple customer, replace with equal or better, you try that with bestbuy and they will just laugh at your face.

4. AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

No way in hell anybody is replacing my trick Apple Watch! :mad:

[​IMG]

5. martyjmclean macrumors 6502

martyjmclean

I’ve been meaning to get my Series 3 screen fixed under AppleCare. Do they replace the display or the whole watch?

6. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

Seeing a new peak in creativity in terms of reported and caused issues there.

7. DrJohnnyN Suspended

DrJohnnyN

8. gigapocket1 macrumors 65832

9. Mizouse macrumors regular

I wonder if anyone has successfully had their 1st generation Apple watches replaced up to a series 4. o_O

10. rosegoldoli macrumors regular

rosegoldoli

11. zachkolk macrumors regular

zachkolk

Please note: there is absolutely no way for an Apple employee to know 100% whether or not your Apple Watch will be replaced with the exact same model or the upgraded one prior to sending it to the offsite repair facility for replacement.

After it’s been sent out and you find out it it’s the same or newer generation, it’s not possible to retrieve the original watch back.

It’s best to assume you’re getting the same watch, and be surprised and delighted if it does happen to be upgraded.

12. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

Could either put the beta on it and ask it to be removed, or have it just die during updating?

13. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

Maybe this disproves my theory - I thought the S3 would stick around and be priced as an entry-level $200.00-$250.00 AW. I thought the S4 priced where the current S3 is would compete too much with the S5.

Maybe they really are going to get rid of the S3 and keep the S4 as the new entry-level when the S5 announces.

14. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

You do realize though, that one pays for this luxury in the price of the item don't you? If you are ok with that, then fine. So am I. :)

15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

From my experience, If your display is cracked or defective, they will just replace the display, not the whole watch.

[Side Note: Apple does not repair displays in store, the watch is shipped to a repair depot for repairs, then shipped back to the Apple Store or customer.]

16. travis64 macrumors 6502a

travis64

My s3 has a small crack on screen that keeps getting bigger slowly.how big does it have to be for a replacement?

17. MisterSavage macrumors 6502a

MisterSavage

What a great upgrade that would be for those lucky people! I loved my jump from S3 to S4.

18. gigapocket1 macrumors 65832

that's what I was thinking.. hard rebooting during an update lol..

19. CaptainAndrew, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019

CaptainAndrew macrumors newbie

I can still see Apple going with this strategy. The story mentions that only Stainless Steel models are able to upgraded from S3 to S4. They stopped selling the S3 Steel models last fall, so I imagine they've stopped manufacturing them and are relying on whatever leftover stock they have for repairs. Aluminum S3 models on the the other hand are still being sold and thus are probably still being manufactured. If they wanted to, they can definitely keep selling S3 aluminum models past this fall.

20. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

Ahhh - Very true. I still see the S3 sticking around.. no way they sell a cheaper S4 next to a S5. When customers have to compare a new design to old, it's easier to upsell to the new device.

21. Foxglove9 macrumors 68000

Foxglove9

My mom just had her series 2 replaced this month and she got back a series 3 in return.

22. Janschi macrumors member

Which Version of the Series 2 did she have

23. niv007 macrumors newbie

Do they ever replace watches bought elsewhere? In the UK I got mine with EE (Telecom company) and I think I recall the paperwork saying that any tech issues should be taken up to Apple and not them, but not sure.

Also, is this under AppleCare+ claims only? I've had mine since Dec'17 without AppleCare+ and no big issues so far but wondered what would happen if it goes bad in the next couple of weeks ;)

24. predation macrumors 65816

seeing what they can do for my battery issues lol

25. Janschi macrumors member

Yes they replace it but if its not within your first year of purchase or during your Apple Care Coverage time, you have to pay for the replacement.