Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As pre-orders began over the weekend for the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, there was the usual amount of panic and excitement as shipping windows for the device were largely on the September 25 launch day for most users, with a few exceptions. Now, however, a handful of AT&T Next customers are facing an odd glitch on their Apple online store order page, which showcases an impending full-price charge on the smartphone while simultaneously listing their AT&T Next plan option.

iphone-6s-order.jpg

The issue appears to be specifically hitting a group of customers who pre-ordered and chose the AT&T Next installment plan option at checkout. The affected users were shown the expected $0 down, $15 upgrade fee price (including tax) when initially checking out on pre-order night, but their order status page has begun reflecting the full-price cost of their chosen iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus. Some users began noticing the anomaly on Saturday, a few hours after their order initially read the correct charge, with a group of MacRumors readers heading to the forums to post about the issue.

A few users have contacted Apple support, and the company has acknowledged the issue and reassures customers who are being affected that a fix for the problem is currently being worked on. Still, as of writing, there has been no word from anyone suffering from the false price charge that they've seen a change back to the correct price of their order.

An Apple support representative voiced promise that all customers affected by the problem would begin to see it resolved over the next few days, and if they chatted with a support employee themselves, they could give the company their email address or phone number to be informed as soon as the problem has been taken care of. Since most customers will likely begin to be charged for their iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus pre-orders in the days ahead of the September 25 launch, it's still a scary hiccup for a handful of users to have to go through.

Article Link: Some AT&T Next iPhone 6s Pre-Orders Showing Full Price Charge Glitch

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I pre-ordered mine through Apple not AT&T. I bought my 6S outright, so no payments. I did the same for the 6 i bought last year which now goes to my wife. If the new bands that favor Tmob really turn out to provide better coverage, I am in a good spot to move over. This is the only thing keeping me from moving from AT&T is the coverage, so hopefully I can switch in the near future.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I was fortunate, and was charged only $44.94 (based on the order page) on the 30 month Next plan for a 6s, 64 GB. Though my card has yet to show the charge.

Reactions: nrose101

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Glad I am going to start the Apple Upgrade program. I enjoy the coverage I get, but I want to deal with AT&T as little as possible.

I paid my Next in full for iPhone 6 so I can do the Apple upgrade program with the 6S+.

I hate AT&T. They've done two good things out of the dozen complaints I have or had with them.

My service at home was stellar up until a few months ago. Now I'm lucky to get past 2 bars. And they want me to buy their home device.

Reactions: ssl0408

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I pre-ordered mine through Apple not AT&T. I bought my 6S outright, so no payments. I did the same for the 6 i bought last year which now goes to my wife. If the new bands that favor Tmob really turn out to provide better coverage, I am in a good spot to move over. This is the only thing keeping me from moving from AT&T is the coverage, so hopefully I can switch in the near future.
Let me know how T service works out for you. If it's got good nationwide coverage I might consider leaving too

dguisinger

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
I would have ran into that... but I paid off a $400 balance on my AT&T Next account last Tuesday, and as of today, AT&T still has no idea where the payment went that was processed over their website and shows up on my credit card transactions.... talk about incompetent morons. I wasn't able to upgrade since AT&T believes I still have a year of payments left, I ended up buying the phone outright. Be glad if all that goes wrong is they say your first payment is the entire phone price.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
My service at home was stellar up until a few months ago. Now I'm lucky to get past 2 bars. And they want me to buy their home device.

They'll probably be telling you to use Wi-Fi calling in fairly short order in lieu of the microcell.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
I paid my Next in full for iPhone 6 so I can do the Apple upgrade program with the 6S+.

I hate AT&T. They've done two good things out of the dozen complaints I have or had with them.

I feel like a unicorn. I've never had any issues with AT&T. In fact they have always been responsive to issues when I talk to them. While I get three bars outside my house, there are areas inside that are very weak. I called a month ago and two days later I had a free microcell in my hands. Obviously YMMV.

sonicdissent

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Count me in as one of the people affected.

Having said that, I don't have much to complain about with ATT. Service is better than VZW in this area and I've had no issues with billing or orders in the past.

auriconis

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
NJ
What a shock. AT&T is really becoming one of the worst carriers when it comes to serving the needs of their customers. The fact that they make it so incredibly difficult to upgrade using a 2 year contract and want to pigeonhole you to their terrible (yes, terrible) Next plan is ridiculous. At least Verizon was up front when they said they were cutting a plan option off. AT&T said to the press " Oh we're so great we still let our customers continue their plans and give them options" yet in reality mean that you can only use an upgrade on the 4th Tuesday of a Lunar cycle when all the tides align.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York

My service has also been bad over the past six months. I rarely have more than two bars. And if I do, it's only three. I'm seriously considering switching to Verizon because their plans are now equal in price to AT&T. They've really gone down hill in my opinion.

auriconis

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
NJ
Not to mention the Next plans are so anti-consumer and Pro-AT&T. They "claim" you're contract free but if you go to void your contract early, you have to completely pay the phone off (read: early termination fee anyone?). You also have to pay off 3/4 of the phone before they're "gracious" enough to allow you to give it back to them to upgrade to another device. At least with the Apple plan, you only have to pay for 1/2 the device. The new Apple iPhone Upgrade program really makes AT&T Next look foolish.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
Not to mention the Next plans are so anti-consumer and Pro-AT&T. They "claim" you're contract free but if you go to void your contract early, you have to completely pay the phone off (read: early termination fee anyone?). You also have to pay off 3/4 of the phone before they're "gracious" enough to allow you to give it back to them to upgrade to another device. At least with the Apple plan, you only have to pay for 1/2 the device. The new Apple iPhone Upgrade program really makes AT&T Next look foolish.

I think I will give the Apple upgrade a try next year. I'm currently on the Next program and my phone is pretty close to being paid off, but next year I will dump AT&T as my carrier. Sick of their low signals. It's just too much trouble to do it right now.

bkaus

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2014

Well, you don't exactly pay for 1/2 the device. You pay for 1/2 the device plus 1/2 of two years of applecare... but technically, the 2nd year of applecare is more valuable. First year is covered under warranty regardless.

auriconis

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
NJ
Well, you don't exactly pay for 1/2 the device. You pay for 1/2 the device plus 1/2 of two years of applecare... but technically, the 2nd year of applecare is more valuable. First year is covered under warranty regardless.

Not necessarily. You don't get the two incidental damage coverages with the lower deductible without Applecare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.