Some facts (seemingly) about iPhone 3GS in the UK launch day

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drpellypo, Jun 13, 2009.

1. drpellypo macrumors 6502

I went to every CPW and O2 store in my area (6 of them!) to try and get some info that was actually correct. I figured that if I tried every store then I would take the most common answers as being correct. As it was, they all said the same thing. With this in mind I am assuming the below to be correct, but don't quote me! Cos they all could have been wrong.

Firstly, stock allocation.

O2 has told all stores that they will be overstocking on 3GS's to avoid the problems they have previously had. There is going to be a plentiful supply of contract phones. However, not one store knew what it's PAYG allocation was going to be. They said they will be arriving on Thursday and only then will they know.

Secondly, tethering.

O2 do not have any technology to know whether you are tethering or not. How they will know is purely by high data usage. If your data usage appears high, they will get in touch with you to say it is, and that they assume this is likely to be as a result of tethering without the bolt on. You will be sent two more messages if you do not stop, and after the third, they will begin to charge you for every MB used. It seems the bolt on is merely a marker on your account to say that you are allowed to use as much data as you want. I guess unlimited doesn't mean unlimited as per usual!

And lastly, uptake.

Every staff member I spoke to said they had taken a huge amount of calls/emails/queries for stock and that the majority of people were going to be starting a new contract and then just ending their existing one come Jan. Lot of people willing to change their number seemingly. They were expecting sales to be as high as they were for 3g, which is why, I expect, O2 are not budging, or indeed entertaining any complaints, re the price. They also said with this in mind that there was no plans to reduce prices.

I am in town on Friday at a convention, so will only be able to get to the shops at lunchtime, so hoping there will be PAYG ones left.

Oh, and O2 stores are opening at 9:02am on launch day, not 7:02am.

2. Moe UK macrumors regular

So is PAYG launching at the sametime as contract phones this time?

3. drpellypo thread starter macrumors 6502

Nobody knew. They said they were getting allocation on Thursday but within their allocation is a stipulation of which phones are to be sold as contract, and which as PAYG. Also, CPW said they would only be accepting pre-orders of contract phones, and not PAYG.

4. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Can you do tethering with the 1 year free data that came with the iPhone 3G pay and go?

5. tommy8884 macrumors member

that's great for me, I will only use tethering very rarely, so it looks like I could get away without paying!

6. smr macrumors 6502a

drpellypo: The O2 stores I visited yesterday (Birmingham and Telford) gave me similar information:
    1) The are not taking any pre-orders (contract or Pay-as-you-go)
    2) First come, first served on Friday
    3) Stores open 9:02am
    4) They have no idea about stock levels. The best they are hoping is that stock will come in the day before, if not it will arrive on the morning of the launch (which is what happened with the 3G launch I was told).

The Bullring AppleStore opens at 8am. Confusingly, I asked in there expecting to be told that they would only be selling Pay-as-you-go, but the guy behind the till said they could also do contract upgrades (I had explained that I was now out of contract). Is this right?

7. stuartteach macrumors member

Hi Folks....

I have two months remaining on my o2 contract and phoned carphone warehouse today to enquire about upgrading....
    spoke to one of the sales team and he said that they will be able to end my contract eary (for the fee) and upgrade me on the 19th. BUT....cant pre-order....gotta wait until the 19th to do it....

so I gave them all my details...what phone i wanted...contract I wanted etc and the bloke recomended that I have it shipped to my house and not go to the store on the 19th to collect??

Ive been thinking....am I best doing it this way and get the phone on the 22nd or so.....or go to the 02 store 8am Friday and sort it out then?? carphone warehouse will just be passing me over to o2 yes?? suppose I could always go and que at 02 on the 19th and if i dont get hold of one speak to carphone warehouse that day and get it delievered???

opinions please......

8. wazza12345 macrumors regular

Hey dude thanks for taking the time to post up all the info you found from you running around :) Very helpful.

I'm suprised you didnt get a more random spread of answers from the shop staff, usually I get the most random responses I wonder why I'm even speaking to them haha

9. drpellypo thread starter macrumors 6502

The only thing that differs from what I was told, consistently, was that the stock allocation was going to be much much higher. But they couldn't quantify this. They all said 'overstocked' though.

10. Since '84 macrumors newbie

11. smr macrumors 6502a

Let's hope so. The stores I spoke to had NO idea about stock levels.

I'm currently torn between two options:
    1) Going into the Bullring to the Applestore for 8am (on the off chance that they will do upgrades), then if they don't going to the O2 store for 9:02 when they open... This risk here is that there is a queue at the AppleStore, and by the time I find they won't upgrade me the O2 has sold out of the black 32GB model!

2) Going to my local O2 store early (8am say) and hoping I'm near the front of any queue for any stock they have.

Plan 2 is less hassle, but I'm sure further tit-bits about the launch will emerge next week before Friday. (Luckily I didn't have anything booked on the 19th so can take the whole day of work if needed!)

12. Libitina macrumors 6502

Libitina

You'll probably see my hubby there then going from your previous post, lol.

13. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The queue at the Bullring wasn't very big last year. :)

11072008076.jpg

Phone them on 0121 260 1900 and confirm they are doing upgrades.

14. smr macrumors 6502a

I queued for most of the afternoon for the 1st Gen launch in Nov 2007. I was the last person in the first batch into the store (probably about 20 of us). There was quite a long queue behind me (100+?). Whilst I hope Apple products continue to be successful, I hope the queues are not too bad for the 3GS launch.

Good idea, I will give them a phone early next week.

I see on the Bullring website that it opens at 09:30am on weekdays. Will it open early for the Applestore to open at 8am? (The guy in the Bullring O2 shop did say that they might not be open at 9:02 as the centre isn't usually open then!)

15. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Not the whole truth - maybe the morning wasn't, but later on in the day and that week there was a *lot* of traffic and queueing at the Bullring (from someone who queued up at a local store on the Friday, but went to the Bullring Saturday ultraearly).

I think 9am means that they'llhave a bigger queue this time. Queueing early helps to not get stuck in a long backlog if they hvae problems in the selling process of the phones.

As for O2 stores, we'll see - they might have a lot of phones, but O2's "overstocking" is probably = normal stock. They will possibly have less 32GB white and black 3GS for example. A 3GS White 32GB PAYG would be much harder to find i'd imagine.

I'd plan on queueing if you're going to an O2 store till we have concrete numbers - hopefully better than last time anyhow.

16. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

O2 have said tethering isn't available at all on PAYG - see here

17. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The Bullring was open early for last years launch at 8:02am, I got there about 10 minutes before it opened.

The main reason for the queues later in the day at the Apple Store was because the O2 servers crashed and they couldn't process any contracts.

I got in the store (12th in line) at 8:05am and by the time I finally left at 4:45pm they had only managed to process 5 contracts. It was driving them mad because they had hundreds of phones in stock which they couldn't sell.

Hopefully they will have learned from last years fiasco and have a plan B ready in case anything goes wrong.

18. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Oh right thanks. I wonder if its just not allowed, or it doesn't work...

19. stuartteach macrumors member

Been into my two 02 stores today and also spoke to carphone warehouse....

In BOTH the 02 stores they have said exactly the same as the OP, overstocking, although not expecting huge demand as, and I quote 'The 3Gs is practically the same as the 3G and most people are stuck in contracts'

I then enquired about upgrades as I have two months left from my iphone 2g phone left.... the bloke said that as it was an upgrade and they cannot take the money in-store for the remainder of the contract they I would have to ring up 02 on Friday and have it delievered to my house.... when asked when it would be delivered they said probably tuesday...

OK...

so I went next door to carphone warehouse and spoke to the guy in there and he said that if I come in on Fridat at 9 he could upgrade me onto my new contract and I would walk away that day with the new phone...again he said he wasnt expecting a high demand and also mentioned that he would be in the store from around 8.30 if I wanted to come down a bit early to fill in the forms etc?! - top bloke!

Can't fault carphone warehouses service, they seemed to know much more than the 02 store.... so thats where I will be at 8.30 Friday morning...

has anyone enquired about completing an upgrade instore at 02....surley they over carphone warhouse would be able to do it?!?! odd

20. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

That's top salesmanship right there :rolleyes:

21. stuartteach macrumors member

my thoughts exactly!

22. Libitina macrumors 6502

Libitina

We went into one of our local cpw's today to buy new cases. Fella asked how long we'd had our phones, told him I'd had mine since a week after launch but that hubby was getting the 3gs. He asked me if I was going to upgrade so I told him that I can't afford to buy out my contract. He said that there will be discounts offered but didn't elaborate any further and I didn't ask.
    I wonder if there's any truth in that?
    Still can't afford it at the mo anyway. Friday will be the first time that hubby's ever had a better phone than me as he always used to be happy with my cast-offs. Now he's an iphone convert, lol.

23. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

You've created a monster :D

24. LondonDude89 macrumors newbie

no truth in it whatsoever. I imagine he's trying to speculate and hasn't been fully informed

just be careful. CPW can upgrade you, but no earlier than O2 can. If you're not due for an upgrade yet, he wont be able to do anything about it.

25. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

From what I understand you cannot activate tethering unless you contact O2 first. Once the tethering bolt on had been added they sent you a carrier settings file that you update through iTunes to your phone. This activates the tethering option on the iPhone, which when tethering is on, changes the APN settings to a tethering account so that they can see how much data your using.

If that is indeed exactly how it works, then there is a quite straightforward way to tether your phone without informing them and without them knowing when your tethered...