Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Some M1 iMacs appear to have a manufacturing defect that causes the display to be mounted on the stand in a way that's not perfectly aligned, leading to a crooked display.

m1-imac-back.jpg

YouTuber iPhonedo over the weekend published a review of the M1 iMac, and he found that his machine appeared to be tilted on one side, a mounting disparity that was visibly noticeable and proved with a ruler.

Another person on the Apple Support Communities also complained of a non-level display with a 1mm disparity between the right and the left sides of the display, and there was a third complaint on Reddit, with the person in that situation discovering the issue after watching iPhonedo's video.
Checked mine after watching this and it's also crooked.
Not to the degree of his, but not completely level either.
I'm outside of my return window and I can't take the time hit of not having a machine to work on for a month, but super disappointing that Apple of all companies is shipping units with such a glaring oversight.
Even our own orange M1 iMac that we ordered for testing appears to have a slightly crooked display. MacRumors videographer Dan had noticed the iMac was crooked and assumed it was a problem with his desk, but it appears that may not be the case.

There are seven screws holding the iMac's display to the mount, and the manufacturing issue does not appear to be user fixable.

Apple may opt to allow returns of crooked iMacs after the two week return window, but it appears to be a problem that's limited in scale at this time so we don't yet know how support staff will respond. Apple customers who purchase a new M1 iMac should check for a crooked display right when receiving a new machine so that it can be returned or swapped out within its two week return window to avoid having to try to get support from Apple.

So far there are only a handful of known iMacs with this manufacturing issue, but let us know in the comments below if you've had issues with the mounting on your M1 iMac.

Article Link: Some M1 iMac Models Shipping With Crooked Mountings

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
Hopefully it's just a minor issue with a few units...the iPhonedo video should helps bring attention to this for a quick resolution!

Reactions: Ravi_MR

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
And here we go. No doubt some users are experiencing this issue but now we have to read postings from hundreds more stating "mine is off by a millimetre" (roughly 1/25th of an inch for Americans on the forum) and photos like the orange iMac in the article where the iMac is clearly not perpendicular to the wall nor to the camera which can create the illusion of crooked screens.

Hopefully Apple will help those who legitimately have an issue and we will not be inundated with posters who only think they have a problem because they read about it here.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
And here we go. No doubt some users are experiencing this issue but now we have to read postings from hundreds more stating "mine is off by a millimetre" (roughly 1/25th of an inch for Americans on the forum) and photos like the orange iMac in the article where the iMac is clearly not perpendicular to the wall nor to the camera which can create the illusion of crooked screens.

Hopefully Apple will help those who legitimately have an issue and we will not be inundated with posters who only think they have a problem because they read about it here.
A 1mm rise edge to edge on a 574mm wide screen means the tilt is off by 0.1 degrees. That's not a lot, but probably outside of tolerance. I know plenty of people with monitor arms that are out of alignment by far far more than that. On the flip side, with a rigid non-adjustable system like the iMac, it's not a good thing.

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
First World problems. Not news worthy. Just return it and get a new one.
Nope. This isn't a cheap computer, yet it's literally nothing more than a Mac Mini with a nice display. There's no excuse for this, dude.
This happens nearly EVERY Apple release. I love Apple stuff, but holy crap, their QC for initial runs is awful.

EDIT

Yup, $600 for a 24" screen, that apparently may or may not ship crooked. Sign me up!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.